Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Just finished season 3 of Broadchurch. The writing wasn't as good as 1 or 2, and there were some twists that approached Deus Ex Machina in plausibility. Almost like someone looked at the clock and realized they were going on a bit and needed to jump ahead. But the multi-layered and very complicated relationships were still there, and the way each relationship mirrors elements of the central theme without anything ever being perfectly resolved is still well done. The actors who play Beth and Dan are excellent together - Dan particularly as he slowly comes apart at the seams - and of course, the two detectives are great. But even with spotty writing, the series still puts the stomach in knots and there is a big exhale at the end of each episode.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished Godless. If you can get with the notion of a western 1800's town run by women due to all 1500 of the men dying at once from a mining disaster you'll like this. There are some strong performances.

BigMouth. It is a cartoon series. I'm still laughing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm watching Godless too but it's too good to binge watch. I'm savoring it sip by sip.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife and I have been watching 'Rake' of late. It's the original Aussie version on which the short lived US version starring Greg Kinear was based. It's very good and very addictive and there's 32 odd episodes so you'll get a good long run of it.

'Godless' is next on our list, if only to see how Lady Mary of D Abbey does as a cowgirl without servants at her beckon call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    I'm watching Godless too but it's too good to binge watch. I'm savoring it sip by sip.
    Same here.

OTOH Punisher was a binge. Two episodes at a time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkish mentioned The Good Place. My daughter practically begged me to watch it and, I'll admit, I got into it in a big way. Much better than a network comedy has any right to be.

And I've gone back and started watching Transparent from the beginning. I am really, really digging it. The writing is compelling, the acting is flat-out superb. Too bad it's probably dead now.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember if I already said this... but Longmire is a great Netflix show. The penultimate season was ok, but the final season really rescued it and brought it back.

I do love the books as they are a bit less dark.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are watching the Punisher one episode at a time. I still don't know how much I like it. I think because the Marvel shows always seem to have too many episodes. They should be doing 8 per season instead of 12 or 13. Except for Iron Fist. That show had about 11 episodes too many. I think that is in the back of my head as I watch the Punisher so I just keep waiting for it to trail off. That said I'll finish be finishing it soon and so far it has been good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I don't remember if I already said this... but Longmire is a great Netflix show. The penultimate season was ok, but the final season really rescued it and brought it back.

I do love the books as they are a bit less dark.

-Joe
    You were just looking for an excuse to use the word "penultimate" weren't you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Dark” on Netfix.
    German with subtitles, beautifully filmed. First couple of episodes move slowly, then it really sucks you in.
    I’m on episode 8--now entering the WTF??? stage! I like it!

A young boy is missing from a small town. There is a cave. Don’t go in. I don’t want to give anything else away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    “Dark” on Netfix.
    German with subtitles, beautifully filmed. First couple of episodes move slowly, then it really sucks you in.
    I’m on episode 8--now entering the WTF??? stage! I like it!

A young boy is missing from a small town. There is a cave. Don’t go in. I don’t want to give anything else away.
    thanks for saying that, I was on the fence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    thanks for saying that, I was on the fence.
    Tip: You have to really watch it, if you don’t pay attention, it’s easy to get lost. It’s worth it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    BigMouth. It is a cartoon series. I'm still laughing.
    Big Mouth is awesome/terrible. It's SUPER NOT kid friendly. You'll often feel bad for laughing. But....a lot of it is relateable, and laugh you will. My wife watched all of them with me, and wasn't proud to do so, but she couldn't turn away LOL.

"What do you want to watch? How about Big Mouth?"
    "Oh that show is terrible!! You can't get a pillow pregnant! .....yeah, lets watch it."

There's a new series that looks really great called Altered Carbon. Futuristic sci-fi where, if you have enough money, you can transfer your conscience to a new body, so *you* will never die, you can outlive your own body by simply moving to another.

New season of Black Mirror comes out Dec 29th - we can't wait! Really fantastic series, it's sort of a modern day Twilight Zone. For anyone who hasn't watched it yet...I always recommend starting at Episode 2 in Season 1. Skip episode 1, come back to it later. It's a little hard to watch and if you're new to the series it could put you off - we didn't watch any more after the first one for over a year. Each episode is a different story, so you don't have to watch them in order.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 12-11-2017 at 02:25 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer Park Boys has been my recent binge. Definitely not for the family.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Big Mouth is awesome/terrible. It's SUPER NOT kid friendly. You'll often feel bad for laughing. But....a lot of it is relateable, and laugh you will. My wife watched all of them with me, and wasn't proud to do so, but she couldn't turn away LOL.

"What do you want to watch? How about Big Mouth?"
    "Oh that show is terrible!! You can't get a pillow pregnant! .....yeah, lets watch it."

There's a new series that looks really great called Altered Carbon. Futuristic sci-fi where, if you have enough money, you can transfer your conscience to a new body, so *you* will never die, you can outlive your own body by simply moving to another.

New season of Black Mirror comes out Dec 29th - we can't wait! Really fantastic series, it's sort of a modern day Twilight Zone. For anyone who hasn't watched it yet...I always recommend starting at Episode 2 in Season 1. Skip episode 1, come back to it later. It's a little hard to watch and if you're new to the series it could put you off - we didn't watch any more after the first one for over a year. Each episode is a different story, so you don't have to watch them in order.
    I binged all of Big Mouth on a rainy Saturday when I was sick. So bad and so good.

And that's good advice on Black Mirror. I love the series but that first episode was nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are almost done with Season 2 of The Crown and it is well done.

We heard Claire Foy will not be the Queen (Elizabeth II) for Season 3 which is too bad but they need her to age so it is more realistic.

I think Vanessa Kirby as Margret is even better in season 2. My wife says that the actor's resting bitch face helps her play the role true to form of the original.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ...The Crown is actually pretty interesting historically. The personalities feel pretty realistically portrayed, John Lithgow plays a pretty great Churchill as an old man grasping at power, and the actress who plays Princess Margaret is one of the more beautiful women I've seen in a while. Plus she can act, as can the actress playing Queen Elizabeth II and the one playing the Queen "Mum"...
    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    My wife and I have enjoyed The Crown and I especially enjoyed history/fact checking with the iPad while the show was on...
    Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    ...Agree about The Crown...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Crown is next.

HA! Yeah I hear you re Big Mouth and than there was the episode on "cool guys" which was on point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Claire Foy is also excellent in Wolf Hall.

The depiction of the end of Anne Boleyn is haunting.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silicone Valley (HBO) - I LOVE this show, it's so funny. My wife isn't too into it, we generally like the same kind of stuff, but this style humor isn't really her thing.

Girls (HBO) - This is one of those 'can't look away' kinda shows. There's moments that are *really* funny, but mostly it's about a bunch of idiotic millennials that make me cringe. I pretty much hate ever character in the show. We watched the entire series.

Alias Grace on Netflix is pretty good, we just finished it.

Anyone watched American Vandal? It's on our list, it was one of the most popular this year.

FYI, Netflix's annual report is pretty interesting: https://media.netflix.com/en/press-r...ar-in-bingeing
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am slowly watching American Vandal. Good? Yes. Binge-worthy? Not for me. I just put on an episode every now and then. I feel like I appreciate what they are doing with the show more than I actually like the show.