Thread: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Binge Watching Series Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    same people as did the 117 movies. It's not just secret, it's very secret. I wish I understood French.

I am into lowbrow. I just finished watching the Shannara Chronicles. Also in the middle of "Magicians." I liked "man in the high castle," but I was surprised with it ended. Need Amazon for that. Unfortunately, I watch on my trainer so things like "Stranger things" are too involved for most of my rides. Nothing like doing an interval when something interesting happens.
    Into the badlands is good for intervals , if you like fight scenes and blood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently devoured:
    - Trapped (AAA)
    - Bosch (A)
    - Taboo (Don't miss the opportunity of watching Locke)
    - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
    - Sherlock
    - Black Mirror (San Junipero is amazing)
    - Spotless
    - Happy Valley

Now I'm watching:
    - Santa Clarita Diet
    - Black Sails
    - The Get Down
    luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Young Pope

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Netflix

The League -. Low brow comedy ,. Group of friends in a fantasy football league,. I literally hate American football but the characters and silly situations are worth it
    I don't watch football and have no interest in fantasy leagues, but I love The League.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for Broadchurch in the "British-crime-procedural" category.

Stranger Things was great. I wanted the OA to be as good, but it wasn't.

I've been enjoying Billions on showtime.

If you have HBO, the options open up dramatically. The recent stuff like Game of Thrones, but don't miss the Wire. Best show ever. You have to stick with it though, can get slow at times, but it pays off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We watched Game of Thrones for the third time the whole way through but then...
    The Killing- first season was better, but great all around crime show
    Stranger Things-awesome!
    The OA- not as good as Stranger Things, but interesting
    Freaks and Geeks- wife really likes it. I like Apatow's stuff, so I don't mind rewatching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    ^ if you really like John LeCarre, you will definitely enjoy the 7 part BBC version of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy with Sir Alex Guinness. It's on YouTube if you hunt.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (TV Mini-Series 1979) - IMDb
    Watched all the episodes while under the weather yesterday. One of those series where headphones really help keep all the characters sorted and allow you to catch the well-crafted slip-ups by key characters as they try to wiggle out of things. And the relationships between the characters are so complicated and tightly wound. I highly recommend watching this series.

I am couch bound again today, so I plan to watch the other BBC series, Smiley's People, which is part 3 of the 3 part Karla Triology by Le Carré. BBC never did part 2, The Honorable Schoolboy. They did do a version of A Perfect Spy, and it is on YouTube, but episode one has been locked by the BBC and other episodes are strangely crippled by small image size, high pitched voices, and an undulating background.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I started watching Bletchley Park.

Excellent. And the best part is Rachael Sterling. Reminded me of all those childhood fantasies involving her mother ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm watching Broadchurch on the recommentions, I would suggest Wallender.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Watched all the episodes while under the weather yesterday. One of those series where headphones really help keep all the characters sorted and allow you to catch the well-crafted slip-ups by key characters as they try to wiggle out of things. And the relationships between the characters are so complicated and tightly wound. I highly recommend watching this series.

I am couch bound again today, so I plan to watch the other BBC series, Smiley's People, which is part 3 of the 3 part Karla Triology by Le Carré. BBC never did part 2, The Honorable Schoolboy. They did do a version of A Perfect Spy, and it is on YouTube, but episode one has been locked by the BBC and other episodes are strangely crippled by small image size, high pitched voices, and an undulating background.
    Jorn...There's a scene in TTSS, where Sir Alec is carefully rummaging through an individual's personal belongings. Not a word is spoken for what seems like an eternity and you feel like you're in Smiley's head in trying to imagine the significance of the items that he is reviewing.

Also, I finished John LeCarre's autobiography over Christmas...The Pigeon Tunnel. Well worth the read if you like his work and there are many stories in the book that give insight into his life, books and movies alike. Feel welcome drop a line and RW's library will loan it to you.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I'm watching Broadchurch on the recommentions, I would suggest Wallender.
    Wallander is best (I think) in the Swedish version. Kenneth Branagh is good, but the original versions on Swedish television were slightly sweeter but each worked script-wise like a clockwork diorama. There was a theme for each show - immigrants for example - that was woven into each and every character's relationship to the main plot and each other. For a writer, at least, they are great studies in how much topical information could be almost invisibly inserted into an episode. You know, the anti-immigrant politician finds that he was adopted, his mother was a Holocaust survivor, the person killed was an immigrant but he actually was not an innocent, the killing was retribution for acts in a foreign country, etc. No one is quite who they appear to be and everyone has their subject position eroded by events and revelations through the process of each episode.

Not blood and gore deep dark depression and excessive misery like the Branagh version, but better I think in the quality of its nuanced construction.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Jorn...There's a scene in TTSS, where Sir Alec is carefully rummaging through an individual's personal belongings. Not a word is spoken for what seems like an eternity and you feel like you're in Smiley's head in trying to imagine the significance of the items that he is reviewing.

Also, I finished John LeCarre's autobiography over Christmas...The Pigeon Tunnel. Well worth the read if you like his work and there are many stories in the book that give insight into his life, books and movies alike. Feel welcome drop a line and RW's library will loan it to you.
    That's a great scene. I heard an interview with Le Carré (can't remember his real name just now) where he said there was a way to tear apart a room that was not neat and tidy but would not arouse the suspicion of its owner like actually destroying everything. Seemed like the scene you mentioned captured that description pretty well.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw one other mention of Taboo, I'll strongly second that.

I'll be incredibly disappointed if there isn't a second, third...season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jorn. I'll have to give the Swedish version of Wallander a viewing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midway thru season 2 of Broadchurch, and I must say that there are way too many ridiculous beach/cliff scenes without any purpose other than tourism? Lawyers do not contemplate cases on the high cliffs with beautiful cliffs - do they? Good drama? Perhaps, but...........Everyone has a big butt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Midway thru season 2 of Broadchurch, and I must say that there are way too many ridiculous beach/cliff scenes without any purpose other than tourism? Lawyers do not contemplate cases on the high cliffs with beautiful cliffs - do they? Good drama? Perhaps, but...........Everyone has a big butt.
    Moderators,
    Please delete this post. My cat broke my login password and posted under my avatar. She was just trying to bump my post count.
    Thanks much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luke Cage is great, but it is only one season so far.
    Detectorists is really good.
    IT Crowd is hilarious
    It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. But just jump to season 3.
    Black Books is a hilarious how.
    Merlin is good.
    Doc Martin is another good british show, sort of a northern exposure in an english beach town.

A guilty pleasure is Trailer Park Boys. The first 7 seasons are really fun, the characters are endearing. But the last two or three have just been boring with mean and dumb humor.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+ for Fleabag, Sherlock and Santa Clarita Diet.

I'm watching The Fall with Gillian Anderson. It's reminiscent of Dexter in a good way.

On recommend here I'll give Broad Church a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    A guilty pleasure is Trailer Park Boys. The first 7 seasons are really fun, the characters are endearing. But the last two or three have just been boring with mean and dumb humor.
    Damn, 1-7 were pretty formative for me. Haven't bothered to check the later episodes, bit of a shame it's gone downhill. I guess 7 years is a pretty good run for what was a pretty simple concept.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moderators,
    Please delete this post. My cat broke my login password and posted under my avatar. She was just trying to bump my post count.
    Thanks much.
    My cat has since convinced me that she is right. With some further viewing of the series, the background locations have no continuity. I'll stick with my cat's intuition.