Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LFB sources?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LFB sources?

well, i called Gasflux and the phone jockey confirmed that the mill has closed which provided them with their brass rod.......one forum member said that the results using the new rod were less then ideal........any experence? any other sources you like? any experence with the brass rod/flux from aufhauser? i've been using then as a silver alloy supplier much to my satisfaction.......just fishing for info before i drop the coin for 20lbs of brass i don't like.........thanks in advance, steve.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inweld has rod of the same AWS spec.
    http://www.inweldcorporation.com/dat...l%20Bronze.pdf

I wish I could comment on it first hand, but I have not used it. Major disappointment that gasflux C-04 is going away.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default C-04

et al,
    C-04 is not going away. The mill in PA that made the majority (they said 90%) of the brass we use/used came from this mill. The make-up of the brass they offer is still called C-04 and has the same content. The mojo of this brass is what lacks. It is made in South America so the back and forth with what they like and dislike is not very quick. I got 20 lbs of the S.A. stuff and was very unsatisfied (which is why i know all this and called them in the first place). GasFlux refunded my money and i bought what they said was the last of the "old" stuff. They said it will take some time but they are hoping the new facility will get the formula correct and they will have the "same" product as before. The best part is the mill in PA that did manufacturer it was bought by their biggest competitor and closed it within a month (this just after a revamp of equipment in the millions). Oh well i guess we will wait it out and see. I should be set for at least a year with my purchase.

The stuff from Gasflux is still better than anything at the welding supply. Just not the stuff i was ready for. Lacked the flow and flash out of the old stuff.

Cheers,
    Drew

disclaimer- the batch i got was confirmed as being from the first batch of brass received from South America. They told me it has already improved but i wanted the rest of the old stuff.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had bought some LFB from gasflux a couple years ago and all it did was smoke, crackle and pop. I was less than happy. They said they had changed mills and I switched over to the C-04. I still have that crappy LFB... but wont recommend it for use...

btw, I bought 20 pounds of C-04 at that time too and despite the fact its a bit harder to finish, its good stuff.

DW