Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Preamplifier

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Preamplifier

I need a new pre-amp. The Audible Illusions Modulus won't stay fixed. Noisy volume pots, noisy tubes after a year. I've had it since '87 so I am ready to send it out to pasture with honor.

I want something with a phono stage and with inputs for at least four line inputs. It should sound at least as good as a 30 year old tube design. I don’t want to spend more than around $1k.

The most attractive candidate I found is the Emotiva Audio XSP-1.

Any feedback on this thing? What else should I be looking at?

Many thanks!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Preamplifier

Given your familiarity with old school, why not a used something such as Audio Research SP-6, Conrad Johnson or even this one from a reputable used on-line shop?:

Croft Micro 25 Tube Preamplifier | The Music Room

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parasound Halo P5 may be worth a listen if you aren't fixed on tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In your price range, the emotiva is likely going to be hard to beat. My first thought was a Rogue Audio RP-1, but it turns out to be over budget. Maybe a non-magnum Perseus from Rouge, but that's likely over budget also. 1k is not a price point where a lot of preamps are made. It's kind of "home theatre" land, and for the most part well appointed, audio dedicated preamps seem to start appearing around 1.5-2k.

I haven't heard the emotiva xsp-1. Other emotiva products I have handled have been really, really well built from a construction standpoint. I'm not a fan of how they let the marketing team write the spec sheet, but pulling apart the jargon, I think there's some really good design in there. Probably the best is that it *sounds* like it uses an optoelectrontically switched stepped attenuator for volume control. It uses a giant toroidal transformer in the power supply which is always a good sign. The flexibility they give you to turn on or off all of their gimmicks is nice. I'd really like to know more about what they are doing in the phono stage-it sounds like that might be the weak spot. Oh and blue electronic displays would drive me insane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is two-channel?

if it's just 2 channel stereo the best sounding stuff i've heard hasn't been tube - it's been solid state stuff from Ayre, Audio Research, Jeff Rowland, etc. I'd look used on Audiogon and steal something that's 10 years old and still wildly overbuilt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    this is two-channel?

if it's just 2 channel stereo the best sounding stuff i've heard hasn't been tube - it's been solid state stuff from Ayre, Audio Research, Jeff Rowland, etc. I'd look used on Audiogon and steal something that's 10 years old and still wildly overbuilt.
    Two channel, yep.

I think I overestimated my free cash for now. But thanks for pointing me at Audiogon - so much for my free time!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick update.

I realized I want a titanium bike more than I want a new preamp, at least for now.

So I replaced the tubes in the Modulus. Electro-Harmonix 6922 Golds - a matched set - from The Tube Store.

Oh man. I should've done this a long time ago. Best $100 I've spent on the stereo in a while.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David, you might also try some of these:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/product...nal-pcc88-7dj8

I run some in my steelhead. I have a pair of siemens cca that I took out for the matsushita. They sounded as good as the ancient and valuable as gold siemens so I just kept the Japanese tubes installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    David, you might also try some of these:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/product...nal-pcc88-7dj8

I run some in my steelhead. I have a pair of siemens cca that I took out for the matsushita. They sounded as good as the ancient and valuable as gold siemens so I just kept the Japanese tubes installed.
    Next time!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are worth trying! Outstanding tubes in the several applications I've tried them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    In your price range, the emotiva is likely going to be hard to beat. My first thought was a Rogue Audio RP-1, but it turns out to be over budget. Maybe a non-magnum Perseus from Rouge, but that's likely over budget also. 1k is not a price point where a lot of preamps are made. It's kind of "home theatre" land, and for the most part well appointed, audio dedicated preamps seem to start appearing around 1.5-2k.

I haven't heard the emotiva xsp-1. Other emotiva products I have handled have been really, really well built from a construction standpoint. I'm not a fan of how they let the marketing team write the spec sheet, but pulling apart the jargon, I think there's some really good design in there. Probably the best is that it *sounds* like it uses an optoelectrontically switched stepped attenuator for volume control. It uses a giant toroidal transformer in the power supply which is always a good sign. The flexibility they give you to turn on or off all of their gimmicks is nice. I'd really like to know more about what they are doing in the phono stage-it sounds like that might be the weak spot. Oh and blue electronic displays would drive me insane.
    Browsing the forum for another reason I came upon this ancient thread.

I bought a slightly used RP-1 off Audiogon about a year ago, and followed up with the ridiculously underpriced ($500 from Audio Advisor) Nuforce STA200 amp. I am very, very happy with that combo and listening to so much more music than before.

So thanks!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    this is two-channel?

I'd echo this by saying that 10 year old Audio Research gear is going to be a steal by now and is as musical as god intended tubes to be. My 10+ year old SP-16 and VS55 continue to deliver miles of smiles even while driving some finicky Magnepan planars.

Plus the Audio Research build quality is excellent and you can get support/service on anything Audio Research from any era. High end audio is an iterative sport and Audio Research got tubes right a long time ago, so the marginal gains are minor these days until you've got the scratch to buy REF Audio Research equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In those days anything that is two-channels only and non digital needs to find a very dedicated user. On the other hand, cheap DAC's with BT and different types of inputs can be found for less than 50 bucks and are ok for those "everyday use" devices while the proper sources can still run at their best to a good pre/ampli to give them justice.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've now bought two Schiit Modi DACs, one for my office PC and one for my home PC. The office PC has cheap powered speakers, and at home a Schiit Magni headphone amp feeds my Sennheiser 600s.

Someday a Modi and the Magni will end up with the STA200 in the workout room. Plug the Roku TV into one input and a phone into the DAC to stream lossless.

At $100 each these cheap Schiits are bargains.
    GO!