Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns (no politics)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Guns (no politics)

I was recently gifted a Glock G23 (.40 S&W) with a 2nd .357 S&W barrel.

I had never shot a pistol before. Wife's had a G37, and to be honest, it made me uncomfortable. Something triggered an interest back around November, late October ish. Mentioned it to wifey's parents and come Christmas time, they hand me a Glock. Her dad is big into guns, actually gave her the G37 (.45 GAP). As I said, I was too comfy at that time.

Before doing anything, I learned to field strip it. And a few days later I got a lesson. Like I said, I had never shot a pistol before and it had been 20yrs since shooting a rifle. I didn't want to make a mistake. The lesson was good, and I feel it made a substantial impact on my confidence.

I gotta say...I've become slightly obsessed with it. I've shot every weekend. The mechanics of the gun fascinate me. Very simple, yet powerful machines. Cleaning mine is relaxing. Like cleaning a bike. One of these days I'm going to sit down and learn how to completely disassemble it. I do intend to get my CCL, and have been dialing in my accuracy, as I'd like to maybe get into the sport.

As it turns out, they aren't as bad as I thought they were, provided knowledge and proper instruction.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guns (no politics)

I enjoy shooting guns. It's fun. That said, I hate going to the range, as I really don't like being around gun people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will never willingly go to a range again. I've had a loaded gun pointed at my head twice at military ranges. And from what I've heard, civilian ranges are much less disciplined. At least at a military range, you know someone is watching and worrying about your safety. We just had a negligent discharge at a local range, 13 y.o. kid will never see again. Last time I felt comfortable at a range was with the boy scouts, the range discipline was a thing of beauty.

When the Air Force got 9mm, I thought about buying one. It's a really beautiful thing. But with my ability to aim, a shotgun would be more useful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The range I go to here is quite strict. And they have no problem kicking you out and saying don't come back. Co-worker was asked to leave for approaching his bench (3x) during cease fires. I believe that deters a lot of folks, as all the reviews on Yelp and Google say "too strict". I feel safe there. The one thing that really bugs me and hurts my focus is someone taking pictures.

I'm thinking about piecing together a 9mm...making a project out of it.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I was recently gifted a Glock G23 (.40 S&W) with a 2nd .357 SIG barrel.
    Fixed
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclist to Gun conversion guide

Ed Brown = Richard Sachs
    Track of the Wolf/Mountain Men re-enactor = Compass Bicycles/Jan Heine
    1911 = Steel is real
    John Moses Browning = Tulio Campagnolo
    Glock = BMC
    Kimber = Vanilla
    Dillon Precision = Tubular user
    IPSC = Tri Geek
    Tweed Ride = Single Action Shooting Society
    Velominati Rules = Jeff Cooper Commentaries, rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you Dustin. I've always treated it as a sport. I was raised by liberal quasi-hippy parents who would not allow a gun in the house. However, they were all for me belong ing to a shooting club starting in Jr. HS. Currently, I belong to a range a few miles from my house that is terrific BECAUSE the local law enforcement uses it as their qualifying range. Consequently, the range is run like a well oiled clock. Public ranges, I'd never do it man. I never want to be around "gun enthusiasts" ever ever ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Glock = BMC
    almost thing that's being a bit generous. i was thinking about this the other day...i compared my Glock to a CAAD9 4...I think. The US-made CAAD with a threaded bottom bracket and 105. Nothing sexy about it, but gets the job done.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only time I have ever discharged a gun was at the Acorn Inn in Nellysford, VA. TooTall was there to witness the event!

For any wondering, it was safe and the gun owner next to me providing instruction and checked that the chamber was empty when he went to check the target which was in a field away from buildings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only ranges I go to are with my father & brother. They belong to multiple ranges, and know when to go when we end up being the only ones there. We trust each other.

When others start showing up, that’s when we typically pack up and leave. You can’t assume everyone with a gun has the same respect for safety as you do.

My dad was on a military competitive marksmanship team (sorry I don’t recall the proper term) when he was stationed in Germany. I’ve had good instruction.

On the other hand...My brother-in-law has lot’s of guns, grew up for the better part of his life in a rural northeastern state. I’ve seen him and his teenage son target shoot on rural family properly. They are “safe enough--“, but not enough where I feel 100% safe around them, I barely hang with them, and I NEVER let my kids near them when they are target shooting.

You have to trust your gut when it comes to people & guns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimbo, you were in the presence of greatness. Randy, rest in peace, would not even allow so much as a open beer within sight of the shooting. I only allowed .22 and Randy insisted on single shot eg "one and done" for the new shooters. You did good but a certain woman put us all to shame.
    FWIIW that particular .22 we were shooting was used in past Olympics biathlon....pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Marksmanship competitions were some of the best times of my life! That is where I fell in love with shooting pistols.

Jake Aisenbrey - Jake Aisenbrey posted a video to his... | Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clay bird shooting is where it's at. lots of fun to be had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    clay bird shooting is where it's at. lots of fun to be had.
    I've never done that or bird hunting and would LOVE to have the opportunity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Las Vegas SHOT Show is a life list item. Philly Bike Show to the Nth power. Never seen anything quite like it for better or worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to hear the comments re: shooting ranges/gun people. I've only been around guns a few times. I went on a few hunting trips, the guys were all very safety conscious and were sure to explain proper etiquette to the FNG.

I think I'm in the same boat as the OP. Guns are mechanically fascinating. I think I'd enjoy learning how to assemble/disassemble a gun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Jimbo, you were in the presence of greatness. Randy, rest in peace, would not even allow so much as a open beer within sight of the shooting.
    I got an e-mail the other day informing me of his passing. I was saddened greatly. I definitely enjoyed his presence and expertise and sense of humor on our France trip and the days I was able to join up in Nellysford.

He will be missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my pistols, but have a hard time with Glocks. The worst pistol I ever fired was a borrowed sub compact Glock (I don't memorize models... don't remember which number they give this) chambered in .40 S+W. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Between the super heavy "the safety is the trigger" trigger pulls, the extra lightweight composite frames making recoil kick unbearable, and the general ergonomics, I don't know how anyone hits *anything* that they are aiming at. I mean, they are great to carry (light), indestructible, and inexpensive, but actually firing the thing is painful atmo.

It should be no surprise that I favor the old school, big steel options like my 1911, cz75, and .357 revolver.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    When others start showing up, that’s when we typically pack up and leave. You can’t assume everyone with a gun has the same respect for safety as you do. You have to trust your gut when it comes to people & guns.
    Actually you can safely assume that others will not only lack adequate safety knowledge, behaviour and range discipline but that somebody will arrive that acts a bit psychopathic and doesn't mind pointing a muzzle at you when you aren't looking. If, when at an uncontrolled range, your gut doesn't tell you to leave, trust mine; it does, loud, clear and immediately. Better still, don't visit uncontrolled or poorly controlled ranges.

And as to that new .40 S&W (or whatever), give some thought as to which neighbour’s house the slugs might enter if ever you, in the astronomically unlikely event you were able to do so, needed and managed to bring it to bear on an intruder. Few people who own firearms for home defense adopt living and operational protocols that would make them come out on top, or even be able to respond at all, in the event of the sudden arrival of an armed intruder. If that's the underlying reason for the sidearms it's worth giving it, and the cartridge choice (so it doesn't go through too many walls), some serious thought. A stronger door would be a better bet. And it's not political, it's statistical reality and worth a lot of thought.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You manly men can pop off your 357's and 45's all day long. Every time I feed this thing box after box of .22's I'm reminded how much fun it is, even when I bring the CZ75 and the (Ruger) GP100 38/357 pistol...

678gc_00.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast