Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random NAHBS thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks rphetteplace, now if you could help me convince my wife of that I might start to get some freedom from the welding corner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have shown at the last 3 shows and attended the 1st. I decided to attend again this year for a number of reasons; First of all, this show is an advertising home run. With all the press, public face-to-face time and the viral advertising through flicker pages, etc. I could never afford advertising like that.
    Secondly, and probably should be number one on my list, the people! The framebuilding community brought me in as one of their own when I was a newbie in 2004. The relationships I have fostered over the years are without equal. I just love sitting down and talking with the guys I only see once a year.

In these economic times- the expense to go to a show sometimes seems unjustified. But, I am looking at the bigger picture. The midwest will be a new market for me. I look forward to the public reaction to my work. I am keeping my name out there and that will be returned in spades over the years.

See you all in Indy.

Chuck

lunacycles

I think my perspective is a little different. Like a lot of the builders at the show, my backlog is significant, and to do the show is a greater time investment than I really desire to make and can afford to do. Right now I am 3 months behind on orders I promised an 8 month turn-around. The time it takes to get ready to do the show and to have a decent product to bring is too much for me. I did Portland NAHBS as I really wanted to meet a lot of the builders, and I really wanted to experience Portland. I brought bikes, but they weren't exactly the bikes I wanted to bring, as I couldn't put the necessary time in. I do not know how one-person shops manage a good show year after year, but it is impressive that they do so and still make a freakin living. I got 2 orders at the show, and none I know of as a result of the show. I do ask all potential customers how they found me, and no one has mentioned the show, except the two who placed orders there.

I have a very specific market, consciously created. They don't see bikes the way most of you all do. So my marketing approach is vastly different. All the little media exposure is cool, but honestly did zero for me. Posting on a women's forum regularly does a hell of a lot more, I have found.

The show for me would be about having an experience more than padding my bottom line. I am not identified with the profession enough to join those who are doing this to support something called "framebuilding." I feel frame building is outside of the box, and after a few years of hanging out on framebuilding friendly forums, I realize I am pretty far outside the box of framebuilding. Which means I am probably insane.

Anyway, I think Don has done a lot of good work, and it is cool to see he knows he is human and not perfect. I don't like how slick NAHBS is becoming, but I guess that is part of the deal when things like this evolve. If I exhibit at a future show it will because it is somewhere I like to go during a time of year I like to go, and because I want to see your smiling faces. I don't think it is really a profitable enterprise for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am driving 1000 miles to attend. :thumbs_up:

I've been drooling for years now at all the great pictures I've
    seen of the event. Can't wait to attend. :cheers:

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride Hide View Post
    I am driving 1000 miles to attend. :thumbs_up:

I've been drooling for years now at all the great pictures I've
    seen of the event. Can't wait to attend. :cheers:
    we'll see ya there ray -
    and that's a wrap atmo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12