Thread: Small car for the small bike racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Small car for the small bike racer

Okay Vsalon,
    The ol' Subaru Outback is getting pretty old. I'd like to pull another 2-3 years out of it, but I reckon it's time to start thinking.

I think I'll end up with something in the ball park of the Honda Fit, Mazda 3 Hatch, or some boxy Scion thing.

I rarely ever have passengers other than my girlfriend. We're both Robbie McEwen sized, so we don't need a ton of space. Room for a 3rd or 4th passenger is basically at the bottom of the priority list. Cargo room is more important than passenger room.

I have this fantasy of being able to carry two bikes upright inside the car (front wheels removed, obviously). I'm willing to remove the rear seats to make this a possibility. I'd like to be able to take me and a teammate to races and fit all of our gear and bikes inside the car.

If it weren't for the bikes, I'd jump on something like a Corolla or Civic.

Anyway, I just want to hear you guys riff on this idea. I'm looking for a small car that will fit two people, a bunch of junk (I'd like to keep everything inside the car), and is on the CAAD10 end of the price spectrum.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small car for the small bike racer

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Okay Vsalon,
    The ol' Subaru Outback is getting pretty old. I'd like to pull another 2-3 years out of it, but I reckon it's time to start thinking.

I think I'll end up with something in the ball park of the Honda Fit, Mazda 3 Hatch, or some boxy Scion thing.

I rarely ever have passengers other than my girlfriend. We're both Robbie McEwen sized, so we don't need a ton of space. Room for a 3rd or 4th passenger is basically at the bottom of the priority list. Cargo room is more important than passenger room.

I have this fantasy of being able to carry two bikes upright inside the car (front wheels removed, obviously). I'm willing to remove the rear seats to make this a possibility. I'd like to be able to take me and a teammate to races and fit all of our gear and bikes inside the car.

If it weren't for the bikes, I'd jump on something like a Corolla or Civic.

Anyway, I just want to hear you guys riff on this idea. I'm looking for a small car that will fit two people, a bunch of junk (I'd like to keep everything inside the car), and is on the CAAD10 end of the price spectrum.

Thanks
    Very happy with my (2015) Honda Fit, depending on your (bike) seat height, two bikes go in upright with wheels removed, one bike goes in on its side without removing any wheels (front wheel turned sideways to fit, handy for a bike with fenders). By laying the front/passenger side flat, it's actually possible to load our tandem INSIDE the car with both wheels removed, although the passenger sits in the back behind the driver. Works. Little car actually has great cargo potential, great mileage (consistently getting 41-43mpg on relatively flat/rolling real world highway conditions). It has an "Eco" gas-saving mode that we keep on permanently, though you can turn it off for more aggressive/faster acceleration, though it's never been an issue despite living in the DC area with lots of Beltway driving, fast on-ramps etc- drives great on Eco mode, and so far no mechanical issues at 40,000+ miles. Our other car is an older 2008 Scion XB. If anything, even better for loading bikes than the Honda (remove front wheel only), great for city driving, a little anemic for fast highway driving. The newer models have bigger motors so I think the mileage isn't as good but they probably are nicer for highway driving. The Scion is boxy shaped, (you love it or hate it) and looks like a toaster oven, but optimized for it's small size for cargo. One issue that the reviews never mention is the flat upright windshield means it's prone to glass damage from chips and stones much more than a more aero shaped windshield- we've had multiple small chip repairs and two new windshields from cracks- I stay well back from construction vehicles as a result. Otherwise a great bike/camping car. I've even hauled full 8' pieces of sheetrock home in the back (door open obviously, but still- impressive for a tiny li'l car) Not my first choice in heavy snow because of the small 13" tires, but I think the newer models would be better with bigger wheels and motor.

If the bike thing/cargo is the first priority get the Scion. If mileage, nicer handling, quieter ride, confidence in bad weather are also big factors, get the the Honda Fit. When our Scion dies, it'll likely get replaced with another Fit. Keep in mind I'm comparing our older model Scion with a relatively new Honda, so it's kind of apples and oranges.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Tourneo connect, WV Caddy or similar cars.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Ford Tourneo connect, WV Caddy or similar cars.
    Is the Tourneo the Brazilian Ford Transit Connect?

If so then that is a great suggestion.2017-ford-transit-connect-titanium-mini-mpv-side-view.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vw bus with a dumb subaru engine in it.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am amazed how much you can fit into the bigger sized Prius.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    cue clown jokes here.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this dance a couple of years ago. Looked at the Fit, the 500L, Golf, BMW X1, Mini Countryman and clubman, and the Subaru xv. The fit was the only one that would fit my 60cm bike upright. But we got the XV. Snow, ice, and dirt mountain roads made the subie the right pick for us. But if it's nice roads only, it's still hard to beat the economy both in purchase price and fuel, the cargo storage, and the small footprint of the fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashburn View Post
    Is the Tourneo the Brazilian Ford Transit Connect?

If so then that is a great suggestion.2017-ford-transit-connect-titanium-mini-mpv-side-view.jpg
    I don't have much knowledge of the us market but in europe the Tourneo is the "passenger" version of the transit connect which is sold as an utility/business vehicule. Slightly better trim and comfort. The picture shown here is the long wheelbase version, I believe there is a short wheelbase too. Many brands in europe offer similar vehicules, based on smaller cars technical platform as they are quite practical for families while not being as expensive as SUVs or Wagons. Some have a small and long wheelbase version available, others only one size.

Here are the proposals from WV, Renault, Peugeot and Fiat :

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"...Here are the proposals from WV, Renault, Peugeot and Fiat:..."
    Dang, those are some drop-dead sexy vehicles! ;-)
    In all seriousness, I have always been impressed by how many bicycles and bike stuff can be carried in a Honda Fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, we don't get that segment here in the states. It's really too bad. I'd *love* a ford B Max. No b-pillar!

But we can't have nice small things here in the states it seems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mazda 3 will take one 60cm bike on it's side, front wheel off inside.
    Flat load floor with rear seats folded.
    Good news is the 2.5l motor is now available with the lovely 6s manual.

In an alternate universe you can still get the Fit Si or a Subaru Forester WRX Stage III

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Yeah, the Prius "wagon" is surprisingly good at hauling stuff. And of the bunch of Prius exterior designs, it actually looks okay. Nothing wrong with the gas mileage also.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Dang, those are some drop-dead sexy vehicles! ;-)
    You obviously don't buy them to adorn your driveway. But that's the case of most bike friendly vehicles.

If storing the car inside is not critical and one doesn't need more than 2 seats, there are other ways :

Also, Sea Suckers :
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my old MX-5 Miata. I'd love to own another one!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Mazda 3 and a Golf 2dr hatch. Both are sufficient for single rider, spare wheels, trainer/rollers, kit bag and small cooler. For overnight trips the wife and her bag plus camera equipment will fit.

The Mazda has slightly more room than the Golf. As actual cars for non-bike race use they are good transportation for going from A to B and back but neither are particularly fun. The Golf is more spirited while the Mazda is more comfortable on longer rides and particularly for 2-3 hour returns to home after a 40k TT. I did not care for FIT, Transit, etc on highway drives at speed. They are better around town vehicles IMO.

BMW or Audi wagon would be a nice step up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This wasn't done by plan but it certainly works. I ride a BMW 3-series. I remove the wheels and put them in the trunk. More than sufficient room for the frame across the back seat. Pretty sure I could fit a 2nd frame. I still have trunk space and the front seat is still free. I trek up to the Catskills several times a year to bike and I enjoy the handling the 3-series provides. Was thinking myself about a Subaru but I doubt the ride up and back would be as pleasurable. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to love that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe.
    No longer in production so used only, inexpensive, cheap to run (Corolla derived), decent mileage, plenty of room with the rear seats folded.
    Of the first generation I think the Vibe looks better, with the Matrix looking better from the second generation.
    My 2005 Vibe cost me $9K with 40K miles, I now have 125K miles on it and it's barely cost me anything outside of routine maintenance.
    Not as fun to drive as a VW Golf but it'll get you where you're going just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more endorsement of the Honda Fit. I regularly put my size 54/55 bikes in with wheels on laying flat or two bikes in with front wheels off. Back when I was racing, me and a buddy fit 2 bikes, 4 sets of wheels, duffle bags, cooler of food, and tool box for a stage race in the Fit. Probably actually could have fit even more...

Balance of fuel economy and storage is hard to beat.
    Nathan H

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast