0 Thread(s)

Default -- eggs...

-- next to pasta, my very favorite:

scrambled
    coddled
    hard boiled
    soft boiled
    scotch

as long as they are run'n loose, cage free, grain fed and organic ---- xxoo'em..

your recipies please for tammy & i.., with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: -- eggs...

Here is one you won't find outside Italy or my kitchen.
    Day old pasta.
    Saute the pasta using Olive Oil, brown the pasta in a small pan with pancetta or something nice and smokey.
    When the pasta is beginning to crisp make a small depression in the middle of the pasta and crack two fresh eggs than add generous Parmesiano Reggiano, cover and turn off the heat.
    Serve over a tangy salad of arugala or frisse lettuce + balsamic vinegrette.
    For extra credit hit the eggs with some red pepper flakes ontop the eggs.

Goes well with Champagne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were given some fresh duck eggs over the weekend. Fried, scrambled, in a simple omelet, they were delicious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omelets have been my nemesis. I tried for a long time to get it to happen in a French carbon steel pan...but when the temp is right, they'd brown, if the temp is low, they'd stick.

I saw Jacque use a good nonstick-anodized aluminum pan so I bought one and have had much better results. I do the whole whirl it with a fork thing to get the curds happening, but I do have an omelet spatula.

The one thing that is eluding me is getting the egg to "puff," that's adding the right amount of water and having the right temp I'd guess?

I love me some Oeufs Mollets...
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat the eggs with a bit of salt , a teaspoon of baking powder. Follow your usual whisking-in-lots-of-butter method, cook to almost done and finish with a squeeze of lemon juice = Hero Status.
    FWIIW If you cover the omelet pan for the final one or two mins. that helps the "puff".

Don't get me started on Frittatas, the ultimate "hey we have alot of stuff going bad in the fridge and some cheese" dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    Omelets have been my nemesis. I tried for a long time to get it to happen in a French carbon steel pan...but when the temp is right, they'd brown, if the temp is low, they'd stick.

I saw Jacque use a good nonstick-anodized aluminum pan so I bought one and have had much better results. I do the whole whirl it with a fork thing to get the curds happening, but I do have an omelet spatula.

The one thing that is eluding me is getting the egg to "puff," that's adding the right amount of water and having the right temp I'd guess?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Day old pasta.
    Saute the pasta using Olive Oil, brown the pasta in a small pan with pancetta or something nice and smokey.
    When the pasta is beginning to crisp make a small depression in the middle of the pasta and crack two fresh eggs than add generous Parmesiano Reggiano, cover and turn off the heat.

I do a similar thing with rice instead of pasta. Not sure where that comes from. My dad used to make it.
    Nash Taylor - Oakland CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frittata:
    12 large eggs beaten
    Any 3-4 of the following:
    potatoes (leftover or fresh)
    left over pasta/rice
    onions, leeks, garlic, scallions
    greens: chard, kale, mustard, collards, fiddleheads, asparagus (steam or blanch)
    cheese
    sausage, ham, bacon (pre cooked)
    Herbs fresh or dried

Assemble and precook any long cooking items, in a 12" oven safe saute pan fry potatoes and alliums in olive oil/butter, when they are soft/transparent add other ingredients, heat through and spread evenly in the pan. Add a little more oil/butter and then the beaten eggs. Add grated/sliced cheese. Cook over medium heat until the eggs start to set up. Transfer to 400 degree oven. Check occasionally by shaking the pan, when the frittata is fully firm, it is done. Take it out and let it rest a couple of minutes. Use a flexible spatula to loosen all around the pan. Put the serving plate (inverted) on the top of the frittata and then flip the pan turning the finished frittata on to the serving plate. Slice and serve.
    Serves four.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of no value to the discussion but until you go to the chicken house and steal the eggs out from under the hens while the rooster tries to beat you about the head and shoulders, run back to the kitchen and cook them up in bacon grease from bacon that came from your own pigs with some potatoes that your dad raised and onions from the garden you haven't had breakfast. Some black coffee and you're set for the day.

Every once in a while you guys remind me how far I've fallen. Writing this dispatch from my cube in the office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Day old pasta.

Dammit Josh, I thought I invented that. But good tip on turning off the heat and covering.

I always use a cast-iron skillet here and remember: cook your eggs with oil, not butter. Is mo betta.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Of no value to the discussion but until you go to the chicken house and steal the eggs out from under the hens while the rooster tries to beat you about the head and shoulders, run back to the kitchen and cook them up in bacon grease from bacon that came from your own pigs with some potatoes that your dad raised and onions from the garden you haven't had breakfast. Some black coffee and you're set for the day.

Every once in a while you guys remind me how far I've fallen. Writing this dispatch from my cube in the office.
    I've done this as a guest. Spent some time with a family in Sheffield, MA recently, Air BnB. They ran an organic farm, beef, pork, poultry, vegetables, and had two guesthouses built for the rental business.

I sat at the kitchen table and the coop was less than 30 yards away, eggs in buckets lined with straw. Amazing. We made them dinner, I made a fresh pasta with those eggs, their flour, and their MAGNIFICENT well water, they made breakfast, and one night trout caught from their stream on cedar planks; Drank beers and shooting off the back porch, was the best. And I've never realized just how much work farming is...my goodness.

You can get kinda close though, you need to be lucky enough to have access to the right purveyors, but no, it doesn't quite have that magic.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An egg connection is absolutely essential. Need a good local hookup. I am convinced the difference is real.

Also: I like to do the egg/depression fry &/or toad-in-a-hole technique with eggs in stir fry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I raise chickens and ducks for eggs, and cannot eat store bought anymore. Heres my almost daily breakfast.

4 eggs whipped with a touch of milk and salt. I put it into a non stick pan i have, it fills the pan, i turn to about medium to med low and just leave it for 3 minutes or so. then i grate some cheese, and add any other topping, usually just cheese. after 3 minutes of just sitting, i add the toppings and stir just a touch. just to integrate a bit. then i put the lid on and cook until its done. Sometimes i fold it, sometimes just leave it. easy omelette.

wife makes fresh pasta with them, that is divine, especially when you make the pasta, then stir a raw egg and some lemon juice into it for a nice carbonara.

oh and devilled eggs, is there a better snacky food out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post

Jacques is the man. Salt the eggs prior (proven to tenderize not toughen eggs contrary to widespread mythology). Skip the water. And, the cream. Also, I found success stepping down to just two eggs in a 10" pan. Cooks through before browning at low-slow temp. Learning just how long you can keep stirring with the back of the fork and still keep it all together takes practice.

How many thousands do you suppose Jacques has made to make it look that effortless? eRitchie could tell you.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

About 8 years ago, I switched to eating eggs almost every morning. Mostly, it's an omelet (in All-clad stainless with olive oil) loaded with beans, cheddar and/or goat feta, and veggies. Not only did it help prevent my post-lunch hypoglycemic crash, but my cholesterol actually dropped. I've eaten a lot of omelets over the years...

We had chickens, but they are long gone. Now we are fortunate to have an egg co-op in our neighborhood. We pay $4 per doz, and the farmer drops off our organic eggs to a neighbor's house every week. Top notch quality.

One thing I like to do is take hearty soups, like chili or French lentil with lots of garlic and herbs, and reduce them and use that as my omelet filling. The flavors just explode.

Oh, and I always have a nice layer of Marie Sharps Fiery Hot on top. The perfect capper for eggs.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Room temperature eggs for omelettes make life much easier. This tip from Alton Brown was a revelation in technique for me. Out of the fridge, drop them into a bowl of warm tap water for five minutes. Also, if browning is a problem add a yolk or make very sure the whites are well mixed. It's the whites that tend to brown.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omelettes don't work well for me, I prefer to do 4 eggs in a big pan with lots of vegetables (peppers, courgettes, onion...), it makes 3 good meals when laid down on two slices of toast.
    I like my Frittata to be rich, so on top of the veggies I will toss in some Quorn mince (or chopped dummy sausages) just to add a bit more protein.

my cat too seems to be interested in this food...

Great on the day after, too, in a lunchbox. Marmite on toast is a good match with this!

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Marmite is on the menu then so is sausage and eggs

Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please tell me more about duck eggs, never had one. Our local CSA offers them so I've been curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't seen it mentioned, but an omelette filled with kimchi is a magical combination. I prepare it with sesame oil and add the kimchi at the last moment so the kimchi doesn't absorb too much heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast