User Tag List

Thread: Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

About 25 years ago I bought a large Craftsman set of SAE and Metric wrenches and sockets. Over time I've lost some wrenches, and as I was working on the Alfa on Saturday (changing the clutch master and slave cylinders) I realized that I need to replace the lost tools and widen my range of small metric combination wrenches. I'm also missing a few sockets here and there.

The question is whether I should stick with Craftsman or go with another brand. (Wikipedia says that the small Craftsman stuff I would need are now made overseas, mostly China).

I'm thinking that for the ones and twos requires to fill gaps for those I've lost I'll stick with Craftsman (I'm not totally anal, but it would be nice to see matching stuff in the toolbox drawer. Seeing a mishmash of stuff won't make me quite as happy.)

But for the sets of say, 9 combination wrenches in very small metric sizes, I'll get something generic. (read: Made in China)

However, if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced Made in USA (or other non-sweatshop location) I'll consider that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need some hand tools (mostly wrenches)

If you want to match your Craftsman it's pretty easy to find good used stuff on Ebay, I've had good luck.
    Matco is not bad for inexpensive and easy to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has nothing to do with wrenches, but I love Estwing tools so very much. hecho in the usofa. I have a sportsman's axe that has been to heck and back a few times. I also got an Estwing Deadhead (thanks, dear!) and after hundreds of strikes on patio pavers & retaining wall bricks this spring it still looks new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After wanting a set of nice box end wrenches for years I ponied up earlier this summer to the tune of ~$450. Every time I grab one I realise it was money well spent. Gear Wrench does really good mostly Taiwan made tools. Proto is worth looking at as well. There use to be a tool source sticky in the tech section as well, not sure who/why it was taken down. Craftsmen is living off the name they built 25 years ago and is dying on the vine along with sears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

American made and not pricey, also decent quality is Allen. I have several of their wrench sets and wratchet combos as well. I put them in my travel stuff cause they aren't super expensive. I rate them as better than good, and superior to Craftsman.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also US made is Channellock for pliers and good screw drivers and Klein who makes pretty good everything..

Mostly just brainstorming for my own info. Craftsman has gone to shit, and the warranty isn't what it used to be.
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

craftsman sockets have taken a nose dive in quality recently. they no longer say "USA" on them.

offshore production is not necessarily an indicator of downward quality, but in this case - it is. hold and old USA socket in hand next to a brand new one and the difference in quality is easily seen.

sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can find a Sears outlet (if they even exist anymore) you may be able to score an old stock set of US-made Professional combo wrenches for dirt cheap. They are chrome, great finish/quality and the shape fits great in the hand. Only caveat is they are no longer made in the US so you're stuck with China warranty replacement until the whole brand goes belly up.

I'm a wrench snob and have Metric/SAE combo sets of the Craftsman pros with Bonney, Matco, Snap-on, Plomb filling in as extras/oddballs and specialty sets.

Check out Garage Journal if you have some time to kill. Great place for any type of tool related information, especially if country-of-origin is a concern.
    Andy Belcher

Cardinal Creative
    flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to be new? I have had good luck purchasing used Snap On tools on the 'bay. Some of the newish Snap On ratchets are not made in the US but most sellers highlight AOC in the ad.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i wouldn't buy anything cheaper than Craftsman, i think their wrenches and sockets are ok. their ratchets are fkcn terrible now.
    look for some nice ratchets with small heads and fine gearing. so worth it. anyone know of something besides snapon matco cornwell...???

for pliers. just get some Knipex, cobra or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y'all are gonna make fun of me... But I have had this set of Metrinch tools for 20 years and are the first thing I reach for when I need a socket or wrench.

62 Piece Combination Wrench & Socket Set - Metrinch - Combination Sets

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Joe, not gonna laugh, run whatcha brung.. Never heard of them, but when something feels good, you just do it.

I have some off brand stubby ratchet that is awesome, if it actually had a handle on it, it would be perfect. I look for reasons to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Y'all are gonna make fun of me... But I have had this set of Metrinch tools for 20 years and are the first thing I reach for when I need a socket or wrench.

62 Piece Combination Wrench & Socket Set - Metrinch - Combination Sets

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you live in MA...

Hand tools, power tools, shop tools - Worcester, Massachusetts

Craigslist, too.

For the Alfa, I'd hunt for some old USAG bits. I also like Beta Utensili for pliers, etc.