Thread: Zwift, zero offset, and data recording

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Zwift, zero offset, and data recording

Hi everyone,
    My apologies if this has been covered in another thread or if it's just common knowledge that I haven't seen. I am using a powertap for zwift. Thus far, I've uploaded the zwift recorded files to strava and TP. It kind of dawned on me that there isn't a zero offset function in zwift. I didn't really think about it because the powertap is always auto zeroing with the Garmin and I haven't been in the habit of setting zero offset for a number of years. I have read that zwift checks for zero offset data coming from meters that transmit it, but I haven't found a back up source.

Should I be recording my workouts on the Garmin and uploading that data? Then just use the Zwift data as a guide on the screen? Thanks!
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Zwift, zero offset, and data recording

Are you using a smart trainer in conjunction with the PowerTap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope. E-Motion rollers.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since Zwift gives "credit" for drafting, does that alter the data it collects versus the data direct from the PowerTap?

If you do a zero offset of the PT prior to riding via the Garmin, I'd go with the data recorded by the Garmin. That way you're always capturing your data from the same source. The thing about Zwift on a regular trainer (can't speak to rollers) is that you rarely coast long enough for a PowerTap or Quarq to auto zero during the ride.

Asked about smart trainer as I know that I have a slight error % between the Kickr and my power meter. I can have Zwift record the data from the power meter rather than the Kickr to take care of that. Did a series of comparisons last winter of where the data came from and opted to go with the Garmin data for my training log.

Not a solid answer but a best guess. : )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate it, Anne! I think I will just use the Garmin to be the data collector. Makes sense to be consistent with that.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feeling so data inadequate :( Don't laugh. My SRM is dead so what I've been doing is to test my FTP using Zwift and the mountain route + radio tower. I pop in my weight and FTP (according to me) and voila.

Watch out for SpeedyChix on the hills, she is murder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thread drift here, but is zwift worth the effort? As opposed to just doing trainerroad while watching netflix or something? Seems like zwift requires a legit computer to handle the graphics, no?
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Thread drift here, but is zwift worth the effort? As opposed to just doing trainerroad while watching netflix or something? Seems like zwift requires a legit computer to handle the graphics, no?
    Maybe not. I use it with the cheapest mac mini. It is not that graphic intensive unless you seek to eek out every bit of resolution...not really necessary. I started with T.R. and dig it for structured workouts than the light went off in my head that I can do the same thing with Zwift AND have human dynamics riding with others. Zwift is 110% better for motivation as far as it concerns me. The "group" rides on Zwift are a total show. Just like the worst group rides IRL you have ever done. Riding with me, speedychix and Mike OTHO is groupo sympatic, it's hard but fair and we hold each other accountable...with a 5 min. break in the middle ;)

OK back to zero offset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThasFACE View Post
    Zwift?
    Is it worth the effort? Depends. You can try it free for a couple weeks and see if your computer plays nice or not. I burned out on structured workouts a few years back after (too) many years of working out that way. I'll ride inside and watch a bike race, movie, etc. but for flat out getting the most of myself on a trainer? No question. Zwift takes care of that. It's almost too easy to go harder than you'd planned on. Right now, for me, that's a good thing. Having the option to use Zwift means I no longer dread the trainer when I can't be outside and is worth $10/month. Can always add structured workouts from within Zwift or TrainerRoad. Although for a true structured workout I'd rather watch something and stay off Zwift for that.

Quick edit seeing Josh was writing at the same time: the VSalon ride this past week was outstanding. Made me work and having someone I knew to chase or be chased by made it very engaging. I'm spoiled now, the ride I did over the weekend I had to go back to picking out some riders to mix it up with. Looking forward to more of the VS rides.

Computer?
    Running an older basic mac mini to a TV screen here. Checked specs on a mid-2011 iMac and that was as solid as an early 2015 MBP. Though they both were working (fans) to run it. The mini is probably a 2014 or so?

Basic, mid and super spec options here: Zwift | How it works.
    Find out what your current computer video card rating is here: PassMark Software - Video Card (GPU) Benchmark Charts - Video Card Model List
    Something in the 450-500 G3D range will run it, 900 range is mid-level

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm, thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like I should give it a go...
    Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated.