User Tag List

Thread: Which Arcteryx hardshell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which Arcteryx hardshell

Wanted to get another Arcteryx hard shell. Boy the range is really wide.... I currently have the Theta AR from something like 10 years ago, I use it for a bit of everything on the mountain as well as in town. I find it a bit too long but it has been great. I also have a gore tex soft shell one called the stingray that I use for front side skiing (awesome for that).

Anyway, I was leaning towards the Beta AR which is the workhorse of the arcteryx line but what do you all say ?

Or maybe not an Arcteryx, I need a slim fit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Which Arcteryx hardshell

I also have a ten year old Theta AR. I get that the length can be an issue but when you are actually standing around in a downpour or siting for awhile both the length and the pit zips give it the advantage over the beta AR for my needs

if this was purely a town piece, I would say Beta LT - packable. this is what I travel with. if you also use it for snow sports and dont mind the lack of pit zips, yea Beta AR

the lower hem around the waist drawcord of my made-in-canada theta delaminated last year. I sent it back...the fix is perfect. from the usa its sent to a depot in washington state so they handle all the usa-canada customs issues.

as for slim fit or block cut, I chose arcteryx because of shoulders. I cannot wear pata-gucci jackets. medium too tight. large too baggy.

years ago when prices were cheaper, I got my set up...theta AR, beta LT, gamma mx, gamma mx hoody and a highly breathable shell they no longer make. forgot the name. yes, all in on the bird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny when people still slang patagucci when arcteryx is probably more expensive like for like.

Beta AR and Theta AR are essentially the same jacket only differing in length and collar height. If you plan on wearing a harness a lot, go with the shorter length. Otherwise, having both jackets seems like overkill to me.

My advice is just go to a store, try a bunch of stuff on and get what you like. Most stuff from any of the top line brands is more bomber than most of us need.

I have an old TNF Kichatna which has held up well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You and I are tall and skinny. I've never had a better fitting jacket than my current Black Diamond. Having owned Patagonia and Arctyrx in the past the finishing isn't quite as good, but oh my, the fit is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried the Beta AR today as well as the Alpha SV. While the Alpha SV is super nice I think I prefer the collar of the Beta AR. The new generation of Goretex pro is nice. I also like the new zipper that is easier to use. One let down is that they went to 2 pockets. My current Theta has 3 pockets and I like the third one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Rab neoshell jacket a couple years ago and have been super happy, the arms are a good 2+" longer than an arcteryx with a similar body so I can wear a large without cold wrists. Quality seems on par. I dig the neoshell for my use (mostly BC skiing) as it is not fully windproof so it runs a lot cooler, but that could suck standing around in a cold wind. Rab also make event and gore jackets I believe and are my new go to for all outdoor clothes, I have the hardshell, a warm softshell for around town and some softshell ski pants. They can be hard to find in stores in the US as they are a UK brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rab is real easy to find here. I do not see a neoshell jacket in there. They seem to be the eVent guys. Never really tried eVent but I have been pretty happy with GoreTex Pro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they discontinued the neoshell option, mine is a couple years old. I find the neoshell much better for high exertion activities than gore pro, but have not tried event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, for high exertion I tend to go with the softshell. I find that even the best breathing hardshell is not good enough. But I use the hardshell a lot for skiing hiking around town etc... Anyway leaning toward the Beta AR. The Cerium LT mid layer down jacket looks fantastic too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit of a jacket geek, and I've had a Medium Arcteryx Rush Shell Jacket (Gore Tex Pro) for about 4 or 5 years and its a pretty slim fit, but fine for movement when ski-ing. I'm 5' 11' and 178 lbs. I layer up with a Gamma MX underneath and a base layer or two, and I've always stayed warm Jan - Mar in the French Alps. Really can't fault it, loads of pockets and small features, although the UK market colour ways this year are maybe a bit 'unusual'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Funny when people still slang patagucci when arcteryx is probably more expensive like for like.
    True, but the bird pieces IMHO are made better. Both companies tops for customer service. Oh, and my canada made bird I got by sleuthing for a deal..did not pay MSRP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of Millet brand, a good price and for me a really good fit.

I have an older Arcteryx that works well too. Most stuff is so good these days fit is my number one thing.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pulled the trigger on the Beta AR and Cerium LT!