User Tag List

Thread: Home security systems...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Home security systems...

What do you all recommend? Latest and greatest?

Need to upgrade, etc..
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Home security systems...

Personally I think it's all about "the guy". Get a recommend from someone for a installer who knows their stuff and you'll be golden. The only thing I can add is that I'm really happy that we changed to a cellular connection. LOL if you can remember things like active zones at night than consider a "go to bed" mode that puts the entire house into paranoid mode except for your bedroom / bathroom. That's a slick setup as anything will cause instant alarm...no countdown....just remember to change modes when you go downstairs for coffee ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't like the big companies that pile on monitoring fees and push a hard sale. We went from one of the "big guys" to Frontpoint 4 years ago and have been happy. I know everything is wireless now but it was an easy setup 4 years ago and we haven't had to change a thing. We've gotten one false alarm from a garage door (accelerometer style) that we switched to a normal sensor. Most sensors can be purchased through other channels for cheaper prices too and added to the system.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the big guy said.

I have no idea what our system is, but I love the guy who recommended & installed it. He listened to what we wanted, and that's what we got - a couple door/window sensors, a couple glass-break detectors, and a cellular connection (which made installation much simpler, especially as we no longer have a POTS line.)

It was around $1350 installed. And we pay $240/year for monitoring.

And it works - our GC's guys set it off twice during the project (don't ask...) and the calls from the monitoring center were spot-on. Including the one I missed, that resulted in the BPD being dispatched. Where they found a sheepish carpenter sitting on our stoop...

alarm.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your home is already wired, I feel like that's the best way to do it. Just update the panel and the sensors that have a finite life (smoke, heat, motion). We inherited a 1993 vintage First Alert system in our new (to us) home. Every window has plunger sensors, glass breaks in each room, etc etc etc.... the new (cellular) panel brains, two new keypads, and updated sensor kit was about a grand installed, and we're at $200/year for monitoring by a local place (same dudes that did the install). That monitoring cost includes a mobile access app. If you're in the southeast, Alarm South is the company that did our install.

We considered FrontPoint, ADT, etc - the local option was by far the cheapest, and I have no doubt that they provide the best install service. Their price installed for the updated kit was about the same as the FrontPoint setup. FrontPoint will call you relentlessly while you are comparing systems... just be prepared for that. I am very happy with the decision we made.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In our last home we went all out with ADP:
    Wireless Door/Window/Glass/Motion
    Wireless Smoke Detectors
    Wired CO2 (only choice at the time)
    Cellular for auto-alert into service center

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a long time ADT subscriber and there are many other great systems out there to chose from, including diy systems. We are a little remote from the road and we don't live in a neighborhood so I've always been concerned about someone unloading our home while we are away. There's a statistic out there somewhere about most home robberies taking place between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Bad boys/girls don't want to confront you if they don't have to and we don't have the luxury of owning a dog.

I'm on ADT's Pulse system which is wireless for the most part with a series of motion detectors, open/close switches, glass break devices and I have smoke, heat and CO detectors as well as some wireless cameras and a panic fob. Thier mobile app is really simple to navigate and fingerprint activated and consider a cellular backup to address the option of the bad guys/girls cutting your phone line. The monthly fee is in the low 40's.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is exactly what I was going to post.

Probably more expensive in the long run, compared to an ADT system, but electronic systems won't love you even 1 / 1000000000000 as much as a dog.

Right now within a short driving distance of you I bet there are several shelters with more than one candidate for the job, just hoping to join your family.

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a low voltage installer for around 16 years. Out of all the security systems i worked with i like and use DSC. The new DSC PowerSeries Neo systems can be tied into a network and you can arm, disarm, and self monitor the system from your phone or computer. Easy to program and parts can be had from many online retailers. ADT in most cases uses DSC systems with their name printed on it. But they kill you on monitoring cost. Plenty of online programming guides on the web to get you going. You can also go full wireless to make it even easier to install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    I was a low voltage installer for around 16 years. Out of all the security systems i worked with i like and use DSC. The new DSC PowerSeries Neo systems can be tied into a network and you can arm, disarm, and self monitor the system from your phone or computer. Easy to program and parts can be had from many online retailers. ADT in most cases uses DSC systems with their name printed on it. But they kill you on monitoring cost. Plenty of online programming guides on the web to get you going. You can also go full wireless to make it even easier to install.
    I'm pretty sure I've got a DSC system. This looks like the panel:

Like I said, we chose a reputable guy and let him drive the product selection. Aside from the brightness of the panel I've got no complaints.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yupe DCS full wireless product. Great system.

If you house is fully wired your better off going that route. If not then wireless is a great solution. The only drawback with the fully self contained systems is it can be ripped off the wall and smashed to bits before it can even report the event. Especially if they force entry through a delayed zone. Unless all entry points are instant alarm, not so great in most cases. You can get wireless key fobs to disarm before entry.

Another alternative is a wired/wireless setup. That's what I'm running at my place Main control panel mounted in a closet somewhere with wireless enabled keypads in the field. Then you can have wireless devices and if they rip the keypad off the wall the brains of the alarm system will still be intact and able to report and trigger a siren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I have a wired keypad by accident as the original system was installed in 1999. Since then, there have been at least three upgrades to the keypad. No issues whatsoever.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dogs are great and shit, but, I am the dog.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NFazzio View Post
    Badabing! Thank you...ADT didn't want to disclose their hardware vendor on the phone.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    Dogs are great and shit, but, I am the dog.
    I would never have guessed.