Thread: VSALON: Zwift Thursdays P/B NixFrixShun @ 9:10 am

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VSALON: Zwift Thursdays P/B NixFrixShun @ 9:10 am

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Remember to shower kindness to the lightweights on the descents.

Tom was a real champ sitting up and then towing me back a couple times last week. Reinforces that this virtual ride shares much with a real ride. One that's only going to happen in a virtual world is when I get a polka dot jersey.
    Perhaps you can submit a feature request to Zwift for a "helping hand push" from another rider. And of course if they do that they should have a "hold the jersey" feature as well.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Perhaps you can submit a feature request to Zwift for a "helping hand push" from another rider. And of course if they do that they should have a "hold the jersey" feature as well.
    #StevePon
    #StevePoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was thinking about trying to get a sticky bottle the third time up Box Hill this morning ... fried after the first hour. Funny how there aren't any team cars though.

I do have a friend who works at Zwift. Maybe we can get a NFS/Ballers kit up there. Hmmm.

Oh, and the ride this morning was great. I didn't have crap for legs, but we rode as a tight group once we found Josh hiding up the road. And that, by the way, was why I hooked him into the barriers on lap two. He's always talkin' so big about riding as a nice group. Then he takes off early to get a head start. Nice leader. Oh, and his avatar's draft isn't worth a damn. Just sayin'.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait what? As we patiently waited for you after your late start only to find you were a mile up the road (cough). LOL nice hook by the way.

That was a great ride. I was pretty toasted by the third Box Hill but we all regrouped each time.

When you break it down by large numbers we had 30 mins. of threshold (Box Hill) and 1.5 hrs. of endurance pace. That's gold Jerry pure gold.

I'm not weight doping but I think that for once my CDA is to my advantage. There is no way to account for what you present to the wind blah blah blah. Yes no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a great morning of riding. The in ride commentary and smack talk was a nice diversion from the loud beating heart and music. Who knew riding inside could be so much fun. It was a blistering day outside with the morning temps at -3F so glad to have the indoor option with some fun riding pals.

Josh offered a great draft on the downhills and everyone stayed upright on the rain-slicked roads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that the weather is really getting bad (yes, I have my limits to going outside), any plans for a weekend ride?
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing in the works.
    We can always post something in the events forum?
    Now that the weather is really getting bad (yes, I have my limits to going outside), any plans for a weekend ride?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Nothing in the works.
    We can always post something in the events forum?

That was a fun ride we had with plenty of bs to keep it interesting. I would be up for a weekend edition too.

It doesn't actually work but if you position yourself just right behind another ride and press the wave button it looks like you are grabbing a handful of butt. Childish I know but when you are riding the trainer for two hours it's the little things that amuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So true. T.K.'s hook was classic.
    Let's see how it goes. Weather dependent is my worry. Go ahead and post intentions here and folks who are following the thread might join in. Better than posting in Events :)
    It's 55F and drizzling here soooooo I'm going outside for some filthy riding fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
    That was a fun ride we had with plenty of bs to keep it interesting. I would be up for a weekend edition too.

It doesn't actually work but if you position yourself just right behind another ride and press the wave button it looks like you are grabbing a handful of butt. Childish I know but when you are riding the trainer for two hours it's the little things that amuse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm travelling with a bike (but no power meter) and borrowed a trainer today and tried Zwift with a PowerCal HR Monitor.

Everything paired up fine, but the power jumped around way too much for anything but solo riding. I'd go from 150w to 200 to 0 in the space of 30 seconds - almost impossible to keep the w/kg consistent even with 3 sec averaging on Zwift.

Just thought inquiring minds would want to know;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

December 22 >>> VSALON: Zwift Thursdays P/B NixFrixShun @ 9:10 am

IT IS SO ON.

Read above if this is your first time or lost your mind since the last time.

No excuses. We play nice, well I play nice but that certain PA bike builder has no friends on the last lap. Watch him.

Weight doping encouraged *IF* you are way out of shape or just getting back from total hip replacement etc. etc. etc.

We hold a 2.0'ish w/kg avg. except on Box Hill and wait for stragglers.

In closing I'd like to say "Anne to the front".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

December 22 >>> VSALON: Zwift Thursdays P/B NixFrixShun @ 9:10 am

IT IS SO ON.

Read above if this is your first time or lost your mind since the last time.

No excuses. We play nice, well I play nice but that certain PA bike builder has no friends on the last lap. Watch him.

Weight doping encouraged *IF* you are way out of shape or just getting back from total hip replacement etc. etc. etc.

We hold a 2.0'ish w/kg avg. except on Box Hill and wait for stragglers.

In closing I'd like to say "Anne to the front".

Make the break, get on the bike and join the VSalon P/B NFS Zwift ride. Fun times, solid workout.
    Josh...on it. That's so I can slide through the pack on the climbs ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to head for home by 11:00 EST. I have a very needed haircut appointment and I was lucky to get in being that this is a Holiday week. Si I may not make ti up Box Hill the third time around. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at least some folks showed up! Toots bailed!! I saw him at the start a few minutes before start time, but he must have headed into that kidney pie place up the street from the finish for a snack and a cup of tea. The hard guys (Anne and I) rode steady and except for a bit of rain for the first couple of Ks, it was a nice ride. I pulled a feather on Anne at the top of Box Hill on the first lap. It is the only way I was going to beat her. Of course she then attacked on the downhill and it took me the entire descent to catch her. Fun stuff. Join us next week. You too Josh!!
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New rule, WAIT FOR ME!!!! I announce a few mins. before official take off time according to computer time. The only explanation I have is that Bill Gates Job'd me.

Dearly missing not riding with you guys. I did see you ahead of me but mistakenly assumed you were waiting for the "GO".

We'll do better....uhhh make that I'll do better.

FWIIW I had a nice tempo lap than got into a bloody war with somebody named Boyd who held me above threshold all the way up Box Hill and than we seemed to call a truce.

This is really cool, there are some awesome people riding Zwift. It is not uncommon for strangers to pace me, give a thumbs up and than go about rotating and keeping the efforts nice and even (hard). It's lame riding virtually but it really gets me to do the work I need to get done (d@mnit)

BTW Tom, I could trim the two hairs left on your head. Why pay someone, I work for peanuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, alright then. Anne and I waited until about 9:12:30 before pushing off. Check the battery for your computer clock.

For future reference, don't let Boyd ride with us. He goes too hard. And then just smiles back at you.

I noticed too that there are a lot of folks who ride very politely out there. Lots of taking pace and subtle slowing once they overtake you. Pretty cool.
    Tom Kellogg
    Spectrum-Cycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK. My computer must be off.

I'll synch with my smartphone for now on. Sorry about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    Well, at least some folks showed up! Toots bailed!! I saw him at the start a few minutes before start time, but he must have headed into that kidney pie place up the street from the finish for a snack and a cup of tea. The hard guys (Anne and I) rode steady and except for a bit of rain for the first couple of Ks, it was a nice ride. I pulled a feather on Anne at the top of Box Hill on the first lap. It is the only way I was going to beat her. Of course she then attacked on the downhill and it took me the entire descent to catch her. Fun stuff. Join us next week. You too Josh!!
    New rule, WAIT FOR ME!!!! I announce a few mins. before official take off time according to computer time. The only explanation I have is that Bill Gates Job'd me.

Dearly missing not riding with you guys. I did see you ahead of me but mistakenly assumed you were waiting for the "GO".

We'll do better....uhhh make that I'll do better.

FWIIW I had a nice tempo lap than got into a bloody war with somebody named Boyd who held me above threshold all the way up Box Hill and than we seemed to call a truce.

This is really cool, there are some awesome people riding Zwift. It is not uncommon for strangers to pace me, give a thumbs up and than go about rotating and keeping the efforts nice and even (hard). It's lame riding virtually but it really gets me to do the work I need to get done (d@mnit)

BTW Tom, I could trim the two hairs left on your head. Why pay someone, I work for peanuts.
    OK. My computer must be off.
    I'll synch with my smartphone for now on. Sorry about that.

Catching up on the Zwift of the day stories and (too) tall tales ; )

Logged in a touch late @9:06-7 due to a virtual world update, while I'm waiting I hit the mobile app and see that Josh and TK are already on course warming up. UhOh. Shortly before ride time Josh vanishes. What? Our leader has gone missing No message or real world contact. TK and I consult and push off @9:12. Yes, it's a small "group" but fortunately for me TK had tired legs (or so he claims). We rolled out into a light rain but not nearly as much as last week. We rolled along, trading pulls and then it was Box Hill. Yeah, that "I need to leave early for a hair cut" guy punches the feather on the climb and launches. I'm out of the saddle chasing trying to catch him.

Stay on the gas over the second short bump after Bpx Hill and latch onto another rider for a nice draft downhill. Can see Tom in the rearview mirror : ) Paybacks in Zwift can be a rough one or they can bite oneself. Hope you guys have short memories.

I was going to stop when TK headed out but ended up rolling longer to hit Box Hill one more time and went for three. Caught rides with other groups of 3-6 riders and had a fine morning of it. Many of the riders are pretty cool and are helpful and get into a rotating paceline. Good for a major calorie burn and some fitness work. If one is riding inside, Zwift rocks. Riding with you knuckleheads makes it even better. Josh take that cloaking device off on your next ride. Missed you in the mix.

Looking forward to more riders in the new year.

Introduced another buddy to Zwift and he's loving it. His wife won't let him ride outside anymore so it's been teaching spin classes at the Y for him. Zwift lets him "race" again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, sounds like I missed a fun one. My semester ended on this week and I had to go back to work so I will be out of commission for next few thursdays. But the new semester is starting later in January so I should be able to ride with you guys. You won't have a lowly nursing 3 student to kick around anymore because I am all about the nursing 4! Woot!! Last semester then it gets real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good one Anne. Should we use Naval Observatory time? I can't risk the ridicule again.