User Tag List

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The world is officially upside down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The world is officially upside down.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicw View Post
    good thing a lot more states now have legalized marijuana to just mellow out
    It'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years. Obama basically ignored it even though I think it's still a federally prohibited substance. I don't know the specifics that allow states like Colorado to have it for sale openly.

For the record, I support legalization and a commutation of sentences of thousands of inmates across the nation who are in prison for life for possession of small amounts of pot. That's a disgrace, ruins lives forever and costs the country billions of dollars.

I do not smoke, nor do I plan to start, but the banning of pot seems ridiculous when alcohol seems way more damaging to society.

Interestingly, AFAIK, Trump has raised his family to not drink, smoke or use illegal drugs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Well that's the expected narrative. And a horrifying one for people who voted against Trump. But I think the Trump consistuency doesn't see any of those things as primary issues. They may in fact be pissed off if the administration starts going after pet conservative issues right from the get go.
    Well, in my mind, the one thing the Trump voters got right is that Washington wasn't listening to them, but I don't see that changing. There are manifold structural reasons that conservative business priorities will reign - starting with the fact that they'll be 99% written by ALEC and delivered wholesale in January. The Trump constituency got Trump. There's no evidence at all (at least not yet), that there's any material impact on the priorities of the House and Senate. The remain effectively unchanged; it would be odd to suppose they'll suddenly change their stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a positive note, with the fallout we're bound to see for the next four years, we should be getting some good art being produced.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Please lock this thread.

There are many other outlets to discuss what happened last night (early this morning) but I have enjoyed the fact that VSalon abstains from Political discussions. This place is my respite from the real world and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks....
    This has been as civil, and thoughtful, a discussion as I've seen since the election results. So it will stay open to anyone whose comments meet those standards of civility and thoughtfulness.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Well, in my mind, the one thing the Trump voters got right is that Washington wasn't listening to them, but I don't see that changing. There are manifold structural reasons that conservative business priorities will reign - starting with the fact that they'll be 99% written by ALEC and delivered wholesale in January. The Trump constituency got Trump. There's no evidence at all (at least not yet), that there's any material impact on the priorities of the House and Senate. The remain effectively unchanged; it would be odd to suppose they'll suddenly change their stripes.
    Well said.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I think it's still a federally prohibited substance.
    It is still a Schedule I controlled substance. The DEA recently declined to reclassify it as Schedule II , but opened up the number of research institutions that can legally grow and study it (previously there was only 1, I think). Obama's DOJ has issued a formal memorandum which basically says that the federal government will tolerate what states are doing provided what they are doing is kept within their borders and that the federal government would reserve all rights but focus more on larger trafficking operations / bigger issues, etc. I imagine the Trump / GOP government will have bigger fish to fry than this one, and that the cat is pretty much out of the proverbial bag, but with Pence around who knows?!?!?

As for Trump's kids, there are other vices they could pick up from their old man, if they were so inclined. I'll leave it at that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the interesting question: what does this portend for 4 years from now, when the Trump supporters are even more outraged over being voiceless? If this doesn't wake up the power structure and set loose some forces of change, I hate to think of what it will take for DC to really listen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    And the interesting question: what does this portend for 4 years from now, when the Trump supporters are even more outraged over being voiceless? If this doesn't wake up the power structure and set loose some forces of change, I hate to think of what it will take for DC to really listen.
    I hold only way the current situation will change is if significant reforms are made to how money flows into politics. Unfortunately for those that get elected, the current system works. So, we get representation who, at best, works to not offend those who made their position possible, and, at worst, actively works to further the interests of what got them there, whether or not it is good for the majority. The interests of those giving the majority of money and the majority of people are vastly different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Costello View Post
    I hope the outrage goes well beyond his supporters and well beyond the perceived evils of globalization. Why aren't lawmakers required to use the same insurance as the rest of us? Campaign finance reform, anyone? A complete Supreme Court? These things won't happen because we keep asking nicely. Not at all convinced that wrapping Trump in racism and misogyny and firing him at DC is the answer, but it's happening anyway.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    It is still a Schedule I controlled substance. The DEA recently declined to reclassify it as Schedule II , but opened up the number of research institutions that can legally grow and study it (previously there was only 1, I think). Obama's DOJ has issued a formal memorandum which basically says that the federal government will tolerate what states are doing provided what they are doing is kept within their borders and that the federal government would reserve all rights but focus more on larger trafficking operations / bigger issues, etc. I imagine the Trump / GOP government will have bigger fish to fry than this one, and that the cat is pretty much out of the proverbial bag, but with Pence around who knows?!?!?

As for Trump's kids, there are other vices they could pick up from their old man, if they were so inclined. I'll leave it at that.
    i wasn't going to mention but this seems like a nice time.

the stocks of private prison companies were up 20-30% this morning...
    Private prison stocks are soaring after Donald Trump's election - Business Insider

hopefully it's telling of absolutely nothing to come policy wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for the past six years, the goal of the House and Senate was to insure Obama had no legislative wins (regardless how it made the country suffer). With this objective no longer in play I would be shocked if there is anything that Trump asks for that he doesn't get and anything that they send up that he will not sign.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Colker is right. The people have spoken. This is democracy, even if you don't agree with the outcome. For the record - I didn't vote for him. I hope he surprises us, not because I want to see him succeed, but because I want to see US succeed. He's not stupid. This whole campaign I've wondered how much of what he says he actually believes vs he said just to win votes.

In on the plus side, hopefully the Clintons will now GO AWAY. America is just as done with the Team Clinton as we are with Team Bush.
    trump killed the Bush family, and he has potentially killed the clintons

not a bad thing IMHO

highlight of the night is sheriff joe is out in AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    This has been as civil, and thoughtful, a discussion as I've seen since the election results. So it will stay open to anyone whose comments meet those standards of civility and thoughtfulness.
    Yea, its as simple as not opening the thread if you want to avoid this...duh

I actually think the most freaked out person in the country right now might actually be Donald Trump. I mean, does anyone really think he actually_wants_the job and inherent responsibility of being leader of the free world???

He may want the title, but I'd wager he has no idea what to actually do with it. It's just another trophy. It'll be like puppet Dubbyah and the neo-cons led by Cheney 2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by andrew flowers View Post
    trump killed the Bush family, and he has potentially killed the clintons

not a bad thing IMHO

highlight of the night is sheriff joe is out in AZ
    Agreed on all points. Interesting that Joe Arpaio is out in a state Trump won. Is he a county sheriff and only voted on by voters in a specific county? Or did he have a larger jurisdiction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Yes. This is an amazing thread. Reminds me of why this is a special place on the internet. If you ask me it's because of the strong real-life ties the people here have.

Our fractured country is a result of the isolation that the different sides have from each other. The internet, and by that I mean mostly social media, unfortunately, only seems to reinforce the isolation which only deepens the crevasse. We need more technology that directs us, knowingly or not, to reinforce the connections between our offline and online personas. We need to breath each other's air, not just hurl electrons at one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swt View Post
    Yes. This is an amazing thread. Reminds me of why this is a special place on the internet. If you ask me it's because of the strong real-life ties the people here have.

Our fractured country is a result of the isolation that the different sides have from each other. The internet, and by that I mean mostly social media, unfortunately, only seems to reinforce the isolation which only deepens the crevasse. We need more technology that directs us, knowingly or not, to reinforce the connections between our offline and online personas. We need to breath each other's air, not just hurl electrons at one another.
    Here is a place for grown ups who walk their talk and own the consequences of what they say. Most of the internet is made of adults acting like infants.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Agreed on all points. Interesting that Joe Arpaio is out in a state Trump won. Is he a county sheriff and only voted on by voters in a specific county? Or did he have a larger jurisdiction?
    IIRC he's Maricopa County sheriff, so local to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found the election results disheartening. Trump played to the worst fears of the electorate, and his most ardent constituency (though not his only one) seemed to be a white male population that feels disenfranchised. However, other than tapping into their isolation and anger, I fail to see what he’s accomplished, and I have no clue, based on what he’s actually outlined to date, as to how he will address any of the actual issues that this nation confronts. It also concerns me that he’s repeatedly attacked almost every minority for the country’s (or more appropriately a segment of the country’s) ailments. However, I’ve never seen any evidence that this country would be better off without trade agreements or strategic alliances, and I’ve never seen any evidence that undocumented workers are a net negative to the country’s economy, taking away good paying jobs from able-bodied Americans.

The social aims of the Republican base are also disturbing. I grew up as a Republican, with a definite libertarian bent. I’ve voted for Republicans on a number of occasions, including a vote for W the first time around that I now regret. I didn’t recognize the more recent iteration of the Republican party even before Trump arrived on the scene, and I have no idea what it represents at the present time other than narrow-mindedness, belligerence and a thin patina of fiscal conservatism that’s tossed aside when an opportunity for funding interventionism abroad arises. I never cared for the Clintons, but Bill, for whom I would never vote, was by most objective standards (and philandering aside), a pretty good President, and Hillary, whom I originally loathed, seemed like a moderate, workmanlike candidate.

Even accounting for the constitutional checks and balances, the general impotence of government, and the grinding ways of Washington, I’m still concerned about the present confluence of ardent conservatives in the halls of power. Let’s hope that Trump is a better President than his history and rhetoric would indicate. Good luck to us all. Makes me want to get on my bike and ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I told my buddy about this the other day and he didn't believe me. amazing, the joke is on us?

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Simpsons called it. In 1999.
    The most absurd, ridiculous, ludicrous thing in 1999 was the concept of Donald Trump as president.

Attachment 97889

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

‘It’ll be better than the Tour de France’: what can we learn from Donald Trump’s ill-fated bike race?

Whatever you think about the result of the election, it did at least put coverage of a 26 year old American bike race back into the UK's Cycling Weekly magazine.

Read more at 'It'll be better than the Tour de France': what can we learn from Donald Trump's ill-fated bike race? - Cycling Weekly

'It'll be better than the Tour de France': what can we learn from Donald Trump's ill-fated bike race? - Cycling Weekly