I'm approaching a point in my training season where I hit a familiar speed bump.
I typically spend October and early November reacquainting myself with the gym 6 weeks of anatomical adaptation (typically 3*20reps at low weight). By week 3 or 4 I remember that I kinda suck at doing barbell squats and deadlifts. I never feel like my form is good enough to load up the bar with enough weight to really challenge my primary mover muscles without overstressing my back. Where I end up is trying to decide if it's worth it to commit to the hours and days it would take to get good at lifting or to just get back to the bike and not risk injury.
This season I'd like to stick with the gym time as I've identified strength as a real limiter for me in riding and racing. So here is my question: can I build the real strength gains I'm looking for with out barbell squats and deadlifts. Alternatives I have in mind are Bulgarian squats, heavy kettle bell swings for hip hindging and stiff single leg kettle bell deadlifts.

Anybody have experience/opinions?