User Tag List

Thread: Any Apple experts in the house? Specifically Apple Airport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any Apple experts in the house? Specifically Apple Airport?

Having trouble with the connection with my Apple Airport device. It loses the internet signal when plugged into my router.

The graphic display of the internet to my device (using the Airport Utilities application on my MacBook Air) goes amber and dies when I connect to the network from the device. When I connect to my router's network, it's fine. I dug the device out of storage in order to try to increase the range of my signal, which dies quickly with distance and a couple thin walls. The Apple Airport worked well in my old house in MI.

When I plugged it in and connected to it, it needed to be updated and it did that just fine, so that's not an issue. The device is alive but doesn't seem to accept the internet signal from my router. I believe the cabling is correct.

I'm more than happy to continue this conversation via PM if anyone has any suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any Apple experts in the house? Specifically Apple Airport?

Some of the older Airport devices have trouble working with newer home routers. This happened to my previous UFO shaped Airports and plug shaped Airport Expresses. My "tower" Airport works. Built in obsolescence I guess.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So by router, do you mean modem? And that your modem also has a built-in router that creates an WIFI connection so devices can connect to the internet?

The Airport is an Airport Express (small square) or an Airport Extreme (large flat or large tall)?

The Airport is connected to the modem/router by an ethernet cable? Or did you use Airport Utility to connect the Airport to your modem/router's WIFI connection in order to extend your network?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    So by router, do you mean modem? And that your modem also has a built-in router that creates an WIFI connection so devices can connect to the internet?

The Airport is an Airport Express (small square) or an Airport Extreme (large flat or large tall)?

The Airport is connected to the modem/router by an ethernet cable? Or did you use Airport Utility to connect the Airport to your modem/router's WIFI connection in order to extend your network?
    Yes, I believe I mean modem. It's the piece I got my my ISP. I connect the Airport, and yes, I believe it's the Airport Express and is 3 or 4 years old, with an ethernet cable.

It is connected to the modem with an ethernet cable and it shows up on Airport Utility. When I'm on the network from my ISP it shows green lines between the devices. When I connect to the network from my Airport Express, it goes amber and shows no internet connectivity. So the internet signal is not going from the modem to the Airport Express. That's how I'm seeing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I think this is tough to diagnose over the interwebs. When you say "goes amber and dies" what do you mean by "dies" exactly? Are there any other wired or wireless devices as part of the network? How are you supposed to connect to your ISP? (Bridged, DHCP, PPPoE... ?)

Unless the airport itself is broken, I don't think this is a problem with the airport itself, but with configurations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Unless the airport itself is broken, I don't think this is a problem with the airport itself, but with configurations.
    I think this is the issue..... A buddy of mine who is way smarter with computers than I am said the same thing. Alas, he's 350 miles away.

Any suggestions on how to configure properly?

I used this device when I lived in Michigan and put it in storage when I moved to Virginia Beach. I just took it out of the box today to try to enhance my signal strength knowing full well it may or may not work as I desire.

I can built a bike wheel and do a perfect bike build and fly an airplane but I don't know very much at all about computers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You say "boost", is there another wireless device on the network?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know jack about configurations but my advice is to cut your losses on this one. Apple stuff usually just works. If it doesn't work, something is deeply wrong and it takes a much higher power to get it right. I have been down this path before (trying to use old Airports to extend range). I wasted much of a Saturday trying and yes I did have teenagers to help. Just go to Best Buy and get the latest Airport.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    You say "boost", is there another wireless device on the network?
    No, but the signal weakens badly as I move to the front part of my apartment. Of course, I know that the Airport Express would only be getting it's data stream from the modem, so maybe it's only as good as its weakest link.

Apologies for the dumb questions. Computers are not my area of expertise. I just want to plug them in and use them. That never seems to be the case in my world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    I know jack about configurations but my advice is to cut your losses on this one. Apple stuff usually just works. If it doesn't work, something is deeply wrong and it takes a much higher power to get it right. I have been down this path before (trying to use old Airports to extend range). I wasted much of a Saturday trying and yes I did have teenagers to help. Just go to Best Buy and get the latest Airport.
    Going back to my previous post, what exactly does the Airport do that the modem it's attached to doesn't do?

Those in the know need to dumb this down. Way down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my guess: you have a combo modem/router as provided by your ISP. The name and model number on the unit would settle it. If that's the case, you either need to disable the router part of the unit and have it just function as a modem, or to use the apple device as a repeater. Neither of which are trivial to set up correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Going back to my previous post, what exactly does the Airport do that the modem it's attached to doesn't do?

Those in the know need to dumb this down. Way down.
    I am going with config issue....and all stuff works well, not just Apple, when it is configured correctly.

Which device is handling handing out IP addresses? The Modem/Router from your ISP or the Apple Airport?

What is the difference between bridge mode and not bridgemode?

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations

AirPort Express frequently asked questions (FAQ)

And, find the manual by the version of Airport Express you have:
    Apple - Support - Manuals

As has been stated, hard to diagnose virtually but hope these will help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot maybe the most important one:

AirPort + Wi-Fi Support

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is the second generation, with two ethernet ports.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

Yes, I believe I mean modem. It's the piece I got my my ISP. I connect the Airport, and yes, I believe it's the Airport Express and is 3 or 4 years old, with an ethernet cable.

It is connected to the modem with an ethernet cable and it shows up on Airport Utility. When I'm on the network from my ISP it shows green lines between the devices. When I connect to the network from my Airport Express, it goes amber and shows no internet connectivity. So the internet signal is not going from the modem to the Airport Express. That's how I'm seeing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post

Do not throw it out - that is bad advice.

Jorn was headed down the path to a solution with some good questions. And what others said is incorrect. There is NO reason both your ISPs modem/wifi-router and your apple airport cannot be BOTH providing a wifi-network but it needs to be configured correctly. That usually means putting the airport in bridge mode so it takes all configurations from the ISP modem/router and just extends the signal. You have the simplest physical connection between the devices which is a cable so it is a matter of getting the hardware configuration correct.

Also, when connected to the ISP network, what is the network name? What IP address does it assign?
    When connected to the Airport what is the network name and what IP address does it assign?

The IP addresses being assigned can be very helpful in a diagnoses. Post if you know them. They will probably be in the format of 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x. or even 172.x.x.x

If they are 169.x.x.x that would be telling.

Stick with it. If you can fly planes you can setup a home network.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is the second generation, with two ethernet ports.
    The cable should go from "WAN" port on Airport to "LAN" port on ISP modem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SAAB

Read through the Apple documentation and start with the AirPort + Wifi support link. If you cannot make it work tonight PM me and we can connect tomorrow over the phone.

My wife is requesting quality time...that usually means a RomCom via our AppleTV (very old model) hardwired to our Apple Airport (very old model offering Wifi in bridge mode) connected to our RCN cable modem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    SAAB

Read through the Apple documentation and start with the AirPort + Wifi support link. If you cannot make it work tonight PM me and we can connect tomorrow over the phone.

My wife is requesting quality time...that usually means a RomCom via our AppleTV (very old model) hardwired to our Apple Airport (very old model offering Wifi in bridge mode) connected to our RCN cable modem.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll do some more research. I think it's physically connected the right way. I'll need to actually read into this a bit more. I'm sure it'll work. The hardware isn't new, but it's not ancient either. I'm certain it can be made to work right. Thanks for the offer. If need be I'll be in touch!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like you just connected it and expected it to work. You have to set it up to work by following the procedure to set it up using Airport Utility. Search the internet for "Extend existing network with Airport Express." An Apple instruction sheet will be one of the links. Follow their instructions .

Also unplug the Ethernet cable between the AE and your modem. Leave them separate to do the set up correctly. Once you set up the AE and it is part of your wifi network, you can move it elsewhere in your house so it is actually extending the network. You won't need the Ethernet cable. The connection will be WIFI based.

Since your modem from your IP is already issuing a WIFI signal, the easiest set up is to use that as the base and the AE as an extender of that WIFI signal.