Thread: Stem question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stem question

Hi All,
    When building stems, do others use .058 walled tubing for the clamps or does it make sense to use .065 and then ream to the finished size after brazing? The reason I ask is that when I use .058, I've found the clamp closes a bit too much around the steerer or bars and it doesn't look right - maybe my slots should be wider. I have reamers and they barely skim the insides of the clamps so, it's clear the tubing is somewhat over-sized tubes.

I'm confident of the strength, it's just that I don't like the clamp closing so much.

Just to be clear, these are for me and family only. I've made 8 or 10 now and my son ( 76lbs of fury) and I use them for a month or two and then we do some destructive testing - which he loves!

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stem question

Duane,

The answer to your question lies in the physical requirements of the design; what wall thickness is integral to meet the safety and performance requirements for the rider's intended use. Never let the convenience of materials or tools on hand dictate the product. Design and fabricate it to fit the need.

That said, so many folks use "slip fit" tubing interference's because it is easy, not because it is the best process.

In your example, I personally will use a heavier wall, fabricate using purged heat sinks to limit overall HAZ and distortion, then machine to the appropriate ID. After the ID is exactly where I want it, then the wall and binder are slotted and then gently cleaned up with a fine file.

This allows for the anticipated fit and function rather than settling for an unknown end result.

Duane, you have the opportunity to go slow, be methodical, and do it right by not settling for less than the optimum you are able to achieve...go for it!

cheers,

rody
    Rody Walter
    Groovy Cycleworks...Custom frames with a dash of Funk!
    Website - www.groovycycleworks.com
    Blog - www.groovycycleworks.blogspot.com
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Groov...s/227115749408

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stem question

That's what I figured. So far, I just assumed that people were using .058 walled tubes for the clamps but, with a bit of experience, I'm finding the results aren't what I want.

Thanks again