User Tag List

Thread: Another not-so-kosher restoration

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Another not-so-kosher restoration

I bought this old Nishiki Ultra 15 when I had my shop in Window Rock. I bought it cheap for the equipment, but the frame was just too nice to toss. Hand-made Japanese frame, Tange Champion tubing, Nice Tange fork ... About 9 years ago I had a client said he wanted a rando bike, but didn't want to pay a lot of money. I should have shown him the door but instead I suggested this Nishiki could make a nice one. So i put on canti mounts, shifter bosses, rack mounts a couple water bottle bosses, replaced a squished cable guide ... then the guy didn't want it 'cause it was 700c and he wanted a 650b.

This year I just decided to get it out of the shop. I repaired the paint best I could (I used some Paramount 50th Anniversary black)b and added some gold pearl to the clearcoat. The dull-looking areas are original. I was able to save a lot of the original decals and liner ... it looks pretty good in person. JIS headset, 26.6mm seatpost, all new. Come see it at Handmade Bike and Beer Festival

nishiki_1.jpgnishiki_2.jpgnishiki_3.jpgnishiki_4.jpgnishiki_5.jpg

jn

"Thursday"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Another not-so-kosher restoration

Shabby sheik in a good way. Nice to see that you don't just throw things out. Would it be appropriate, given the intended use, to drill a BB drain hole?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Another not-so-kosher restoration

I think I'm done with this one. Didn't think of a drain hole, most of my building experience has been in desert country. It was all I could do to start putting fender mounts on my frames.

Everything must go! My hope is to get $300 for the frame, hardware and all. Somebody will get a pretty decent frame on the cheap and a pretty decent frame will get to live who knows how long.