An odd subject perhaps, but I've always been interested in the history that abounds in old cemeteries and in particular, some of the structures such as obelisks and mausoleums. Often when on a ride that passes a cemetery, I'll stop and look for some interesting stones and structures. There's quite a lot of work and detail that goes into carving stone, especially when the work was done 150 years or so ago.

I was pretty early for a client appointment yesterday, and as it was a nice day, I took a stroll thorough a Civil War era (I know...nothing compared to my European friends here) cemetery that abuts my client's campus. There were mini-mausoleums everywhere one looked and the grandaddy obelisk (10m high) was for a doctor and his wife from the late 1870's. No roses that I could find though, as there are people who travel to old cemeteries looking for cuttings from heirloom roses that could be 100 or so years old. Insect resistant as they are not hybrids, the plants by themselves can tell a great story if listened to.

Old City Cemetery | Roses