Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cemeteries

An odd subject perhaps, but I've always been interested in the history that abounds in old cemeteries and in particular, some of the structures such as obelisks and mausoleums. Often when on a ride that passes a cemetery, I'll stop and look for some interesting stones and structures. There's quite a lot of work and detail that goes into carving stone, especially when the work was done 150 years or so ago.

I was pretty early for a client appointment yesterday, and as it was a nice day, I took a stroll thorough a Civil War era (I know...nothing compared to my European friends here) cemetery that abuts my client's campus. There were mini-mausoleums everywhere one looked and the grandaddy obelisk (10m high) was for a doctor and his wife from the late 1870's. No roses that I could find though, as there are people who travel to old cemeteries looking for cuttings from heirloom roses that could be 100 or so years old. Insect resistant as they are not hybrids, the plants by themselves can tell a great story if listened to.

Old City Cemetery | Roses
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cemeteries

Nice pictures Robert. My ex wife (that's a whole 'nother story) loved cemeteries. Any vacation required a side trip to at least one. She loved New Orleans.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great pictures. My family's beach house included a pre-civil war cemetary. It took us many years to clear away the overgrowth and right the headstones but it was worth it. Locals started to take interest once we got it presentable. This was a burial ground for slaves who were sent to the farm for breaking. Awful history not made any better telling the story. We all felt that maybe doing the right thing was long past due. Never forget, it's part of what cemeteries are. Grandpah on mom's side is buried in Arlington. That place is one of the most peaceful spots in DC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I'm out riding somewhere on the back roads I take note of the graveyards I pass, some so well taken care of with nothing nearby it makes me think someone comes there to remember.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spent countless hours riding around the Homewood Cemetery when I lived in PGH, pretty place and no cars.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of pre civil war cemeteries in New England. Here's a quick shot from D2R2 yesterday.

A neat one on Nantucket Island.