Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cemeteries

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cemeteries

In a visit to the church Santa croce in florence.

There sit the tombs of the Italian renaissance.
    Michelangelo, dante, galileo and macciavelli... along with many others.
    Pretty spectacular to imagine the energy in that region at that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of real estate dedicated to cemeteries in New York, NY is astonishing. There's a lot of valuable real estate dedicated to the dead.

In my years in aviation I've flown short final over many, many cemeteries, especially in Spain. Apparently we think our ancestors aren't concerned with the noise.

I've ridden some great wild and noisy bike rides through cemeteries in Michigan. Respecting the dead, I'm not worried this disrespects them. I'm pretty sure most of them would approve.

There are two gravestones embedded in the runway surface on Runway 10 in Savannah, GA. Look it up. I've seen them. Along with this, there are many family plots on the farms, visible from the road, in southeastern Virginia, where I spent the better part of a decade, part-time and full-time. Many of the family farms have a plot, sometimes literally in the middle of a field or even the front yard, fenced off. There are dozens of these visible from the roads of rural Virginia Beach and Chesapeake, Virginia, both of which extend to the border of North Carolina. I have visited one and the point of note is that the gravestone appears to be sized correspondent to the age of the deceased. The small stones are the most bothersome. Many died as young children. This is disturbing, even a couple hundred years later.

Arlington National Cemetery is a somber place. It is worth a visit to remember our shared values of freedom of thought, speech and expression and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for these values. Fort Snelling is the local version, and also reverent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- ole family cemetery back on our hoosier farm..
    mom & dad broke the chain.., being laid to rest in a military national cemetery..
    Arlington National will be my final encampment --- hope any & all my velocipede brothers and sis ride through
    or fly by just to say hi with a smile..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I qualify for Arlington National but I think I'd like to be cremated and buried at the National Cemetery located at Little Bighorn.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12