Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vancouver, BC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vancouver, BC

My wife and I will be visiting the city for 3 days. Will do some casual cycling around False Creek and Stanley Park. I would like some restaurant and beer recommendations from those familiar with the city.
    Thanks much in advance.
    Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vancouver, BC

Alibi room - very good selection and fun vibe. Gets busy so plan accordingly.
    Alibi Room
    Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We went to this place, was really good: Rogue Kitchen/Bar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nook on Denman is just off the Stanley Park entrance and really lovely. It's tiny and more of a dinner for two kind of place Nook Restaurant | Phone: Denman Location 64 568 4554 Kits Location 64 734 99

Enjoy your time! Super lovely city. If you get a chance to visit UBC campus its' a hit parade of amazing things.. nitobe japanese garden, museum of anthropology, wreck (nude) beach, the Beatty Biodiversity museum... a beautiful ride there from downtown along the Spanish Banks beaches.

Tim
    Tim To | Granville Bicycles | flickr | instagram | Smoked Out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had drinks at Uva and Vanessa from same sent us down to Besties for house-made cider and bratwurst - both highly recommended.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many craft breweries with tasting rooms/restaurants along Main street: 33 Acres, Main St Brewing, Brassneck, and others. Rogue Kitchen above makes a mean burger and has a good draft selection (I prefer the Broadway location to the Waterfront one), Craft Beer Market in Olympic Village has a terrifyingly large selection (some local, but really all over), Hapa Izakaya is great Japanese, and tough to throw a stone and hit a bad sushi place. If you can get it, Vij's is the legendary place for Indian (I usually skip Vij's and eat in their less-fancy location one door over - can't recall the name offhand).

Anything in particular you want/don't want?
    I'm ready to move back to Van for the food alone...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favourite brewery in greater Vancouver is Steel & Oak in New Westminster. Tiny little place, they do not serve food but food trucks come by regularly.

Skytrain out to New West. Nice selection of beers which are not 120% hops. Their ESB is very nice, as is the Dark Lager.

There are also a number of micro brew places out in Port Moody (all in a couple of block stretch), some with food, some not. Yellow Dog is good.

Re: Craft above, they are on a major expansion kick having opened a very large place in Calgary they are currently building two new restaurant/brewery locations. One in New Westminster one in Kelowna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cuchillos. Fantastic tapas.

Vancouver Urban Winery / Postmark Brewing. Nice vibe. Good if you're looking for a break from all the beer.

33 Acres. Serves brunch. Beer isn't bad. Get there early or be prepared to wait.

Legacy Liquor Store.Huge selection. Grab something, pour it into a bidon, take it and go enjoy the sunset at one of the many beaches.

Will second Tim's recommendation for Nook.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Additions:

Hawker's Delight. F'ing amazing noodles.

Greenhorn. Best coffee in the West End, IMO. The till and ordering is the bottleneck and the brunch crowd starts at around 9:30-10, so get there before then.

In case you haven't found it, this map is pretty up to date with all of the breweries/tasting rooms in town.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Hung. We just went what was easy. We never drove during our stay. We love the bike infrastructure. My wife is not very urban saavy, but did ok. I was surprised that I could take a dip in English Bay suffering a heart attack. I discovered a very nice IPA by accident based on the label. I purchased a 4 pack of 4 Winds IPA at a liquor store. Good stuff and my opinion was confirmed by several Canucks I spoke with.