User Tag List

Thread: Can't make this up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can't make this up

For several years I have seen a gent riding a two wheel drive bike. He appears able bodied and the bike looks homebrewed using his arms to drive a set of gears which are fork mounted and a normal rear setup.
    Once you get past the hinky rig it seems to work. He holds a good line and is moving at a decent pace.

Don't get too wrapped up in efficiency and operation, it works. I see him outdoors frequently.. All this made me give the guy a pass. Do what ever the @$& floats your boat ok?

Imagine my surprise he has his bike parked outside my early morning coffee haunt!

We talked and it was great to hear why he did this and some details. He is able bodied and the notion to use arms and legs simultaneously appeared after a day kayaking and biking, not at the same time. Afterwards he felt great, more balanced. He created his first two wheel drive bike, there are several.

He also had all sorts of questions about parameters, efficiency and pedal stroke (armstroke???).

He made no claims this rig was "better" in any way, it just works for him. I get it, what the ever lovin' he!! Right!!!!????.

Folks, jumping to easy conclusions is shallow. I am guilty as charged. There are some really interesting people in this crazy world.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Can't make this up

Needs a rear reflector to match.

And a smaller saddlebag.

Take care of that, I'd take it for a spin :)

SPP

PS - any pics of him on that cycle?
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True invention is a wonderful thing. We need more of it in the world...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I saw him the first time it made me sit down and do some drawings of sort of "plug-in" cockpit for arms-only athletes to allow them to stoke a tandem. FWIIW there is no paralympic racing class for this at present, there is for non-sighted stokers racing tandem. There are some butt-strong wheelchair racers and handcycle athletes. These two things collided in my little brain and the handcycle tandem stoker cockpit was born ;) Anybody have about $20K in development dineros and friends on the Paralympic jury?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's pretty cool. I enjoy all the eclectic people in the world. There's a guy up near where I used to live in Hollywood, FL who rides a bike that is well adorned with sails and accessories designed to look something like a tall ship. It has a plastic "sail" stretched across the top to keep the rain off him and I've seen him out in storms that would keep the vast majority of roadies holed up inside. He'd be easy to make fun of, but he's the guy out enjoying a bike ride when most people skip it to stay dry. Hats off to him.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we get him a Smoked Out?

Cool stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently his market influence is in the negatives but hey who knows? Bicycling Magazine #weseeyoutoo skims Vsalon for content all the time.