User Tag List

Thread: Packable shorts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Packable shorts?

Share with me your knowledge, o' Salonistas..

I'm looking for a pair of super-packable shorts for bikepacking trips that involve a handful of town visits. I love the Outlier New Way shorts for the fact that their durable (i.e. I can ride, hike, walk, drink coffee..etc. in them), fit well (i.e. don't hang down below my kneecaps) and are very weather and occasion-diverse (i.e. I can swim in them or go to dinner in them). However, they're just slightly bulkier than I want. I'm looking for something that's equally diverse, durable, and can pack down as much as possible for squishing into a handlebar or large saddlebag.

What'cha got?
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Packable shorts?

I'm a big fan of the giro new road shorts. I love love love the first generation ones that have a wool blend, and even found a place for the bizarrely-pocket-less second gen overshorts in the rotation (they work for riding to the gym without being as flappy on the bike as gym shorts, for example). The quality is more consistent than Outlier and the fabrics a little more versatile.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife picked up a pair of shorts for me last week from the Gap - nylon shorts with a small bit of stretch. They are similar to New Way fits and length, but definitely look more like swimming shorts. They pack down pretty small and were like $20. I've worn them a few days and they are good enough. Keep in mind, I've only worn Outlier or Proof shorts the last 2 1/2 years.

I don't think Outlier lacks quality one bit. They've had some loose buttons, loose threads or over-stitched areas early on - but the material is durable and nothing has ripped on me.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestion - I'd considered Giro but unfortunately they don't have any distributors in France (at least, no where in my area of the country..)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I carried a pair of Patagonia shorts with me when I rode across the USA self supported. I don't see them on the site anymore, but I still have them and they are going strong. Casual style, very lightweight, with a single rear pocket. Fine for swimming, or dinner at a pub if needed. I bet you could find a good option among these: Men's Shorts: Outdoor, Cargo & Athletic Shorts by Patagonia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's an out of the box idea that has worked well for me: board shorts. if you get them in a solid color, they pass for regular shorts. designed to be comfortable and move easily, pack very small, and best of all, they dry super quick. i've had a pair of patagonia board shorts similar to the ones below forever, and have worn them for surfing, swimming and hanging out at the bar. i've carried them in a pack before specifically because they are versatile, dry quick and pack small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe check out these from EB, they work well for me.

Men's Guide Pro Shorts | Eddie Bauer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few pairs of Swrve BLK label lightweight WWR (regular) shorts. They're very lightweight and pack down into a very compact space. I wear them for mountain biking, hiking/backpacking and around town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These: Salomon Wayfarer

Light, they stretch a bit and they've got zippered pockets.
    luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have several iterations of these Prana shorts- they pack super small, super comfortable, dry super fast and look good. Just about all I wear in warm weather when I'm not in chinos for work or lycra for not work.
    Mojo Chakara Short | Mens Shorts | prAna

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of Patagonia or Millet shorts. I use them for riding, casual and everything else. Plus they dry very quickly.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the summer I pretty well live alternating between Swrve Durable Cotton shorts (fairly packable) and a variation of Prana Brion shorts (more packable).

If space if a maximum priority, old school ultralight Umbro soccer shorts ($6?) are pretty hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    If space if a maximum priority, old school ultralight Umbro soccer shorts ($6?) are pretty hard to beat.
    My childhood in a nutshell. SOLD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In summer (ok, it's Australia, so just about every month other than June and July) I live in my Swrve shorts. Love them

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add in some Ex Officio briefs and you'll be quick dry all the way through.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prana Zion shorts would be my choice -- 3 pairs in rotation at present. They are light, slightly elastic, dry quickly and have a zippered thigh pocket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uniqlo's nylon shorts are very stretchy and pack town tiny but look like normal shorts:
    Men's DRY Stretch Active Shorts | UNIQLO

The main downside is the sizing— they come in small/medium/large, and medium fits my quads but is a bit loose in the waist. They're still great, especially for the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My local Costco has had some hybrid boardshorts lately. Light synthetic with some stretch. Standard button on top and a fly, with internal drawstring. Pockets in the normal places. My go to when leaving the house 90% of the time. They dry quick, so always hang dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now own two pairs of the Rapha Cotton shorts. They are great. I wear them every day and have since ordered two more pairs. They pack quite small, especially if you roll them up. My waist is typically measured as 31", but I wear Rapha's 30" size and need a webbing belt to keep them up. But they are pretty sharp and could pass for comfortable casual with a button shirt & loafers or drivers at most nice restaurants.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I now own two pairs of the Rapha Cotton shorts. They are great. I wear them every day and have since ordered two more pairs. They pack quite small, especially if you roll them up. My waist is typically measured as 31", but I wear Rapha's 30" size and need a webbing belt to keep them up. But they are pretty sharp and could pass for comfortable casual with a button shirt & loafers or drivers at most nice restaurants.
    That's actually what I ended up getting - I know they're pricier than most of the shorts mentioned here, but they've got some really nice touches with the cyclist in mind, look sharp, and are built to last on the bike. I wore them every day of my trip (post-ride, that is) and they didn't absorb my funk, which is a nice bonus.