Thread: Yogurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yogurt

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Question for the Yogurt makers here. Do you do a rapid temp reduction ie ice bath, or let cool down slowly?
    Ice bath. Keep a clean thermometer handy. Take er' down to 105 / 110 F, whisk in your inoculation and hold at 100F for 6 hrs.'ish FWIIW those Instant Pots have a yogurt setting. Don't use it to boil the milk, takes too long. However, they are brilliant holding 105F temp for however long it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think I'll go back to the old ways and do this in a cooler and a heat pad. I have had very mixed results in the insta pot but mostly less than favorable. I tried different milk, starter, and times from 6 hours to 9 hours and most of the time I wind up with thick milk. The best was when I had an oven with a light (unless I forgot to leave a note and Deb decides to make cookies for the Girls) that was the most consistent yogurt I've made. But the Instapot meh I'm done with that. Anyone else have less than ideal results with modern technology?
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My instapot doesn't even have a yogurt setting and it still makes stunning yogurt every time. But the quality of the milk and culture of the the starter makes a huge difference.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did some more research on the interweb and decided I wasn't cooking it long enough. Brought the milk up quick to 205, put it into an ice bath and brought down to about 110 added the starter whisked and put it in the insta pot for 12 hours. Oh my, this is really good, thick and tangy. I also let it cool overnight in the fridge before I put it into Quart Jars as some of the bloggers mentioned having bad results from transferring it while still warm from the cooker.
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did some more research on the interweb and decided I wasn't cooking it long enough. Brought the milk up quick to 205, put it into an ice bath and brought down to about 110 added the starter whisked and put it in the insta pot for 12 hours. Oh my, this is really good, thick and tangy. I also let it cool overnight in the fridge before I put it into Quart Jars as some of the bloggers mentioned having bad results from transferring it while still warm from the cooker.
    That's exactly where I ended Frank. I heat the tar out of the milk, ice bath to 105 and all is well. Bread making has pushed that passion temporarily to the sidelines.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of jars and a sous vide machine! Full Ron Popeil style!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think I'll go back to the old ways and do this in a cooler and a heat pad. I have had very mixed results in the insta pot but mostly less than favorable. I tried different milk, starter, and times from 6 hours to 9 hours and most of the time I wind up with thick milk. The best was when I had an oven with a light (unless I forgot to leave a note and Deb decides to make cookies for the Girls) that was the most consistent yogurt I've made. But the Instapot meh I'm done with that. Anyone else have less than ideal results with modern technology?
    @rydesteel Read here > The Science of Great Yogurt - Brod and Taylor This confirms much of what we both know and may be of some use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    @rydesteel Read here > The Science of Great Yogurt - Brod and Taylor This confirms much of what we both know and may be of some use?
    Saved that to the Desktop! Thanks!
    Frank Beshears

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234