Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yogurt

I've been making yogurt each monday for the past couple months. We get whole milk delivered from a local dairy which is quite high in fat, a good thing.

After a few tries I've got a process that works for me and results in the good stuff.

After mixed results using neighbors cultures I'm very keen on "Genesis" Starter Culture straight from Bulgaria.

1. Bring milk to a boil than rapidly cool to 120F and whisk in starter culture.
    2. Store for 6 to 7 hrs. at 100F and check to see that the culture has set up.
    3. Add split vanilla beans, honey or ??
    4. Dewater to whatever degree suits you.

There are many ways to reduce the moisture content including sieves, wick or absorbent (clean) cloth.

This is making better yogurt than I ever made when strawberry fields were forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yogurt

Now that Moke has no job and is a pensioner time we gots. I will try your product Mr. Tall. When we were kids there was an older German lady(probably younger than I am now at the time) that made yogurt in the hood and all of the kids were stunned how good it was. My first attempts were a dismal product at first but got better in college. Then life moved on and the culture died. (Several meanings there) I never liked any of the store bought ones except for the Alta Dena and Brown Cow ones that were ok. So I sort of got out of the yogurt eating. Now, I think I need to get back to making my own again. Thanks for the little bump Mr. Tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sweat. Brown Cow was our go to before this.
    Now that I've got a consistent result I'll start fooling around with adding vanilla bean to warm honey and other such Tom Foolery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just use the Caspian sea live cultures for yogurt. It sets up at room temperature.

It keeps life simple which is what we need to continue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We used to have a young idealist who would drive to Chicagoland from amish country in Northern Wisconsin weekly to deliver raw milk and other products from the amish farms up there. It was great, but turned out (unsurprisingly) not to be a sustainable lifestyle for him. He always had different stuff as his farmers would produce different things at different times of year, etc. His regualr cow yogurt was great, got it about every week. Once, and once only, he had this sheep milk amish yogurt that was unbelievable. Very tart, but the mouth feel was amazing (probably fat content?). I still think about that stuff and wish all yogurt were like that. sigh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things to add Josh from my years of making the stuff. One, I never boil the milk! If you have a thermometer, just go to 180 degrees and then back off to 115 degrees before adding starter - this improves the reaction to the culture and avoids any grittiness. Second, I use a small tub of high quality acidophilus yogurt as starter. It lasts for 4-5 tubs of yogurt before I need to add another hit. I also use a hot water bath to stabilize the temperature which works a treat. This makes a nicely thick and creamy yogurt that keeps us going for about a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applaud your desire to undertake something like this. I have never, not once, ever considered making my own yogurt. The vanilla Chobani at Costco satisfies me nicely. I have thought about using yogurt as a base for some homemade blueberry, rasberry, or strawberry frozen yogurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While you're all doin yogurt try some kefir. Super simple and damn tasty. Totally diggin' it in my protein shakes.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good tip, thank you. Mind saying what brand you are using for starter?
    Vertical D. - Room temp culture would be outstanding. Worth a shot.

FWIIW This afternoon I warmed some honey and added split Madagascar Vanilla bean than whisked that into the hot milk. Just tried the result....wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nelo784 View Post
    Two things to add Josh from my years of making the stuff. One, I never boil the milk! If you have a thermometer, just go to 180 degrees and then back off to 115 degrees before adding starter - this improves the reaction to the culture and avoids any grittiness. Second, I use a small tub of high quality acidophilus yogurt as starter. It lasts for 4-5 tubs of yogurt before I need to add another hit. I also use a hot water bath to stabilize the temperature which works a treat. This makes a nicely thick and creamy yogurt that keeps us going for about a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Good tip, thank you. Mind saying what brand you are using for starter?
    Vertical D. - Room temp culture would be outstanding. Worth a shot.

FWIIW This afternoon I warmed some honey and added split Madagascar Vanilla bean than whisked that into the hot milk. Just tried the result....wow.
    Hey Josh,

it's this one - siggi's Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr - Plain Non-Fat

I gather this is available at most wholefoods. I find the quality and purity of their mix works well as a starter. You need something with as few impurities as possible. I always strain the milk after warming to also limit the grainy effect of the skin.

What dairy do you use for your milk delivery? Getting good milk in DC is not easy - raw milk for yogurt is the holy grail!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yogurt recipe from a friend. Tends to be smooth, creamy, tasty. Depending on the batch it varies from nicely setup to a bit runny.

1 gallon skim milk
    2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
    18-24 oz plain commercial yogurt
    accurate cooking thermometer
    5x1 qt jars + lids
    funnel

Mix gallon of milk + 2/3c dry milk (dry milk adds protein, increases thickness)
    Bring to 185F, stirring constantly (scalding takes ~30 min from start to finish, you can get away without stirring constantly before 140F but after that you need to keep the milk moving)
    cool to 110F (easy to speed up if you fill sink 1/3 full with cold H2O and put the pan in it. Takes ~15 min to cool. Otherwise cooling takes *forever*). If the milk is too hot, it will kill the live bacteria in the commercial yogurt.
    Remove pot from cooling sink.

Put the commercial yogurt in one quart jar, pour in cooled scalded milk to ~3/4 qt
    Cap, shake hard to mix.
    Pour this mixture back into pot of scalded milk, stir well.
    Dispense into 5x 1qt jars (funnel makes this job less messy).
    Wipe excess yogurt mixture from lids, sides of jars.
    Place in a cooler filled with 100-110F H2O. (usually hottest tap H2O, but best to check w/ thermometer)
    Let hang out overnight (10-16 hrs).
    Remove, store at 40F (refrigerator). keeps for at least 2 wks. Yogurt will "weep" whey a bit but just pour off.

Whole procedure takes ~1-1.5 hr depending on cooling time, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use South Mountain Creamery. Fantastic
    Thanks Speedy. Extra protein, ahh makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by nelo784 View Post
    Hey Josh,

it's this one - siggi's Icelandic-style yogurt: skyr - Plain Non-Fat

I gather this is available at most wholefoods. I find the quality and purity of their mix works well as a starter. You need something with as few impurities as possible. I always strain the milk after warming to also limit the grainy effect of the skin.

What dairy do you use for your milk delivery? Getting good milk in DC is not easy - raw milk for yogurt is the holy grail!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like Siggi's. It's great.

Josh look for either Viili or Matsoni for the cultures. Viili is gooey and kind of ropey. I think it is great mixed with fruit and granola. A lot of people have mentioned kefir on this thread, I'd say the caspian sea style yogurts are about halfway between the kefir and regular yogurt for thickness.

So much US store bought yogurt acts like jello. Probably has as much sugar in it as jello to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The sugar and thickeners is exactly why I'm making my own these days. Thanks.
    I'm up for trying a few different cultures of yogurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I like Siggi's. It's great.

Josh look for either Viili or Matsoni for the cultures. Viili is gooey and kind of ropey. I think it is great mixed with fruit and granola. A lot of people have mentioned kefir on this thread, I'd say the caspian sea style yogurts are about halfway between the kefir and regular yogurt for thickness.

So much US store bought yogurt acts like jello. Probably has as much sugar in it as jello to boot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Chatham Sheepherding Company makes Black Sheep Yogurt that is like manna to me. Unfortunately, I've had to cut out anything with that kind of fat content (cholesterol issues) which makes me very sad each morning I wake up and do not mix it with my muesli.

Not a big fan of Chobani or Siggi purely because they are both so thick and sticky the muesli doesn't really mix in well. But that's just mechanical not taste. They taste fine.

But the Black Sheep Yogurt is terrific. The best yogurt I've ever tasted. If I end up going on statins (trying to avoid this) the one bright spot may be (other than no heart attack) being able to eat that yogurt again occasionally.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Old Chatham Sheepherding Company makes Black Sheep Yogurt that is like manna to me. Unfortunately, I've had to cut out anything with that kind of fat content (cholesterol issues) which makes me very sad each morning I wake up and do not mix it with my muesli.

Not a big fan of Chobani or Siggi purely because they are both so thick and sticky the muesli doesn't really mix in well. But that's just mechanical not taste. They taste fine.

But the Black Sheep Yogurt is terrific. The best yogurt I've ever tasted. If I end up going on statins (trying to avoid this) the one bright spot may be (other than no heart attack) being able to eat that yogurt again occasionally.
    I am no scientist and I'll shut up after this, but I strongly suggest you read this unpoetic book by a fellow New Yorker:

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health: Gary Taubes: 9781433461: Amazon.com: Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had yogurt for dessert tonight it is that good. Thanks for the suggestions. Adding some powdered milk and heating only to 180F made the batch significantly smoother and more firm.

For those who do add honey am I doing it in the best way? I warm the honey than add it after the yogurt has set.

I've got my ducks in a row. Rinse and repeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side Hill Farm in Hawley MA makes a whole milk yogurt made from milk and 4 strains of culture. It is so wonderful I have been known to eat a whole 32 oz. at one sitting. Most mornings I can just restrict my self to a cup or so with a handful of Bola Barely Sweet Granola mixed in. There are somethings I'll outsource, this is one of them.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that is interesting. Now I have to learn about combining strains. I hate you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its worse than that. I mis-remembered, it is 5 strains: l.acidophilus, l.bulgaricus, s.thermophilus, l. paracasei, b. bifidum.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast