Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yogurt

Given our one batch -- immense -- experience, we changed course and ventured into 0%fat greek style at the request of my SO.

After 20 hours it was nicely tart...

The draining starts...

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 hours of draining later it has reduced by 50% in volume...

Texture at the top is still thinner than commercial, but at the bottom it is thicker...

Flavor is lighter than the Green Mountain Creamery Greek she favors, but it is quite pleasant.

Further reading suggests 2-3 days of draining to get the real texture of the commercial product.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work Guy. FWIIW I pour off about 1 cup of liquid after the Instant Pot is done and before whisking in vanilla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few excellent sources of raw milk close by and have been making ricotta and other fresh cheeses for a week or so. Looking around my kitchen for some warm spots to make yogurt, I think the range hood microwave with the range lights left on overnight might be just about right. Any other suggestions? I think I have a heating pad somewhere too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, for you all who are straining whey out of yogurt and fresh cheese - keep it! Mix into smoothies, substitute for buttermilk in pancakes and biscuits, use as a marinade for chicken, etc.. It's slightly acidic so reacts well with baking soda, and as a very quick tenderizing meat marinade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick k View Post
    I have a few excellent sources of raw milk close by and have been making ricotta and other fresh cheeses for a week or so. Looking around my kitchen for some warm spots to make yogurt, I think the range hood microwave with the range lights left on overnight might be just about right. Any other suggestions? I think I have a heating pad somewhere too.
    Hot water bottle + cooler + blankets.

For the record, not boiling milk results in mixed results. Last week was a total fail. I'm re-making a batch now. It's not waste if you have a straw handy.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-14-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Hot water bottle + cooler + blankets.

For the record, not boiling milk results in mixed results. Last week was a total fail. I'm re-making a batch now. It's not waste if you have a straw handy.
    Toots, are you bringing the milk to a full boil or just a simmer? I usually shoot for about 185*, I'm putting a batch together tonight. Thanks!
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your oven has a light put it in the oven with the light on. I did that for years until we moved to a place without an oven light. Don't forget it's there and preheat the oven though...the yogurt won't like it or so I've been told :>).
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Toots, are you bringing the milk to a full boil or just a simmer? I usually shoot for about 185*, I'm putting a batch together tonight. Thanks!
    Right up to a low rolling boil. I've tried to just simmer and that does not give nearly as good result as a boil. Our latest batch is done and it's excellent. Yesh, NEVER give up on a method that works!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last two times I have gone to 185, short of a boil. Tonite I was inattentive and it hit a rather full boil before I caught it... Be interesting what I can get as a taste difference...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Last two times I have gone to 185, short of a boil. Tonite I was inattentive and it hit a rather full boil before I caught it... Be interesting what I can get as a taste difference...
    The answer is no real change. Just as yummy as the 185 degree batches...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I brought mine to a boil this time, it seems to be a bit thicker. Perhaps bringing it to a boil reduces it more? Taste is about the same though, I'll see what happens over the next week. Deb like it better than Store bought and it's better for us as well.
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I brought mine to a boil this time, it seems to be a bit thicker. Perhaps bringing it to a boil reduces it more? Taste is about the same though, I'll see what happens over the next week. Deb like it better than Store bought and it's better for us as well.
    Close to a full boil is good enough and you are correct, reducing the liquid volume increases milk solids and makes for thicker yogurt. There are other ways to make it really thick however I'm pretty OK with what I'm making now. Change is bad!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've found that as the milk ages it doesn't develop as well. And pasteurizing reduces its performance. I have a farm nearby with Nubian goats and can buy fresh goat milk straight from the goat. I'm convinced goat milk works better than bovine milk as well. And my dogs herd the goats so it's a good deal all around.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    I've found that as the milk ages it doesn't develop as well. And pasteurizing reduces its performance. I have a farm nearby with Nubian goats and can buy fresh goat milk straight from the goat. I'm convinced goat milk works better than bovine milk as well. And my dogs herd the goats so it's a good deal all around.
    You are not the first person to say Goat Milk makes great yogurt. I may give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yogurt Failure? 1/2 Gallon of Organic Whole Milk brought to a gentle boil, skimmed the skin off the top after it cooled to 110*, added about a strong 1/4 of good organic yogurt to the pot and whisked it in. Insta Pot on yogurt setting for 8 hours, lifted the lid and it was nice and thick, whisked everything to make it smooth, poured into clean quart jars and refrigerated over night and it never set back up? Taste great, I'll make pancakes and pour it over my Granola, but it's not yogurt. Any ideas? It's the same way I've done it before and it worked fine. Is it possible to over whisk? Any way I'll use this up and make another batch over the weekend, thoughts and suggestion always appreciated. Thanks
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yogurt Failure? 1/2 Gallon of Organic Whole Milk brought to a gentle boil, skimmed the skin off the top after it cooled to 110*, added about a strong 1/4 of good organic yogurt to the pot and whisked it in. Insta Pot on yogurt setting for 8 hours, lifted the lid and it was nice and thick, whisked everything to make it smooth, poured into clean quart jars and refrigerated over night and it never set back up? Taste great, I'll make pancakes and pour it over my Granola, but it's not yogurt. Any ideas? It's the same way I've done it before and it worked fine. Is it possible to over whisk? Any way I'll use this up and make another batch over the weekend, thoughts and suggestion always appreciated. Thanks
    Try a different brand of starter. Check the label make sure that it uses: Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus.
    This is the culture I started with: 1% Grassfed Greek - Plain (5.3oz) | Stonyfield
    If that does not work change milk and keep the Stonyfield because you are doing it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Try a different brand of starter. Check the label make sure that it uses: Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus.
    This is the culture I started with: 1% Grassfed Greek - Plain (5.3oz) | Stonyfield
    If that does not work change milk and keep the Stonyfield because you are doing it right.
    I think I'll blame the Milk, the store was out of my normal go to brand. I use Kalona Supernatural whole milk yogurt and it has always done well for me as a starter. They have a cream on top whole milk that's really good and my normal milk choice. Still working on making it as thick as the store bought Organic non Greek style yogurt I use as the starter though. Ideas? Thanks!
    Frank Beshears

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had a similar failure with the more mass market Stonyfield GrassMilk whole milk, using fresh Side Hill Farm whole milk yogurt for starter (which has been working great). The local Organic whole milk from High Lawn Farm (MA) and Randall Farm (VT) have been much more consistent in giving a thick tangy active cultured results...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for the Yogurt makers here. Do you do a rapid temp reduction ie ice bath, or let cool down slowly?
    Frank Beshears

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast