Thread: Through-axle jigless?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Through-axle jigless?

Greetings folks.

I'm about to embark on some framebuilding having been a rider for as long as I can remember.

I've read the Paterek Bicycle Framebuilders Manual and was intrigued by the jig-less framebuilding method and similarly inspired by RS' posts here. I've yet to build a frame, but plan to in the coming months. My first frame will be standard dropouts.

It got me thinking though since through axles are increasingly becoming increasingly popular on mtbs. There doesn't seem to be any way to correct alignment issues via the dropouts with through axles - you're either dead or your frame is toast. I suppose you could remove the rear triangle and go again, but that's rough. Is building a through-axle frame successfully jigless something folks do?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Through-axle jigless?

Hi Enieleni

Please, could you add your first and last name so to have a Mentor-friendly conversation?
    "To post on The VelocipedeSalon FrameForum, MENTOR, and The Path, you must have your first and last name in clear view. No anonymity is permitted. If your screen name is your first and last name OR if your posting signature contains your first and last name, you are compliant."
    Mentor posting guidelines

About your question:

I would not recommend it as through axle dropouts need a spot-on alignment or things would not work as a good frame should, not only the threaded dropouts want tight tolerances for the axle, but you won't be able to amend any disalignments with your files, so rear wheel might end up disaligned without solution

Anyway, if you want to go simple without full frame fixture, you can go on a subassembly approach, just get yourself one threaded axle (for example paragon's one) to use it as dummy axle and keep dropouts in place (but be aware of phase), then make some 8020 type chainstay-bb fixture. Once you get this chainstay-bb-dropouts unit you can make the rest of the frame without jig if that's what you really want.

As a personal note (so not any unversal truth), do nto build things just because they get popular, but because it's what you want to build (or what you can). Popularity is made by people, and you're as much people as anyone else.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man... I didn't want to be that guy. I thought that adding my name in my profile would show up on my posts but it doesn't seem to be the case. I found the signature and I've added my name there.

Thank you for the suggestions and the sub-assembly recommendation – that sounds like a good route to go.

Also, thanks for the personal note about building due to popularity. I tend on the other side of the spectrum and to be quite measured when it comes to such things. This particular case was more out of curiosity and intellectual exercise. I've never had issues with any standard dropouts and QRs I've used in the past, and I'm happy to keep using that method.
    « Μ0 »

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I needed to refresh my memory about the Paterek jigless building method it turns out my memory failed me. The jigless part is really only for the front triangle. For the rear triangle, he demonstrates the technique using a rear triangle fixture... very much like what's suggested above.

Thanks again for the recommendation!
    « Μ0 »

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my recollection, the Paterek book is more of a reference than a "how-to" manual. I'd take some ideas from it, but use that to plan out your own approach.