User Tag List

Thread: Who is importing Kaisei?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who is importing Kaisei?

I just spoke with UBi and they no longer carry Kaisei tubing. They said someone in Washington picked them up. Anyone know who the new Kaisei US distributor is?

Thanks

EwS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compass Cycles in WA retails Kaisei fork blades. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who is importing Kaisei?

I'm also interested to find out the results. This topic popped up not too long ago, and upon my inquiry I got a Jan / Compass "might be considering it."

Perhaps if more than a few framebuilders email Compass, they'd more strongly consider taking over import duties after seeing a small demand.
    dan polito

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the attraction? What do they do that TT/Columbus doesn't?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They offer a lot of their tube catalog in "short" or "standard" length, which is a big thing for small frames. Less important, but it's also consistently been the tubing with the least amount of bow out of the box, which gives me a smile.
    dan polito

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Compass Cycles Jan Henei? That is who UBI said was the point person. I could not find anything after a quick google.

Kaisei has a very good reputation for finish as mentioned. Most of the top Japanese builders use it to varying degrees. Eco Limited Strong Lite tubing has recently become another favorite. I do not think it is available in the US though. I also like Coconino's write up of a build with the set - which was favorable.

I emailed Compass and will call at lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann View Post
    Is Compass Cycles Jon Henei? That is who UBI said was the point person. I could not find anything after a quick google.

Kaisei has a very good reputation for finish as mentioned. Most of the top Japanese builders use it to varying degrees. Eco Limited Strong Lite tubing has recently become another favorite. I do not think it is available in the US though.
    If you mean Jan Heine - then yes.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    If you mean Jan Heine - then yes.
    UBI gave me J-o-n on the phone and spelled the last name as well. Most likely why nothing popped in Google. Jan Heine makes sense now and Compass is in WA as well. I'll post their response and give them a call this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with Kalavinka by e-mail last week. They said that they would ship to the US.

Christopher Root

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I bought some bb shells and dropouts from Kalavinka via email a couple of years ago and it all went smoothly in English. Good products at fair prices from them, and fast service via regular mail with Japan Post. (My box of parts was not too large or heavy, but I don't know how a pile of tubes would have faired in the mail.) Still, I would use Kalavinka again.

I'm also a fan of Kaisei tubing. Have made several bikes with their standard butted tubing and it was quite well made in terms of (low) bowing and uniform wall thicknesses. Nice stuff at a fair price, and less bow than most other brands. Their tube lengths, though, tend not to be so useful for frames for tall riders; as someone mentioned above, it is aimed more at short to average sized Americans (hardly their main market, of course.) That is the only drawback I could see. And, of course, spotty availability as UBI gave up on stocking it reliably. I hope Compass or someone will start bringing it in again.

Bill Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Siepmann View Post
    I also like Coconino's write up of a build with the set - which was favorable.
    It's absolutely beautiful tubing - I've built quite a few bikes with it.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know. Might have to pull the trigger on a set.

EwS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, spoke with Compass. They only have the Toei Fork blades. They are discussing the distributorship for the US but nothing is final at the moment, as Jan is travelling and they need to work out some logistics. I hope they decide to stock the tubes.

eWs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
    FWIW, I bought some bb shells and dropouts from Kalavinka via email a couple of years ago and it all went smoothly in English. Good products at fair prices from them, and fast service via regular mail with Japan Post. (My box of parts was not too large or heavy, but I don't know how a pile of tubes would have faired in the mail.) Still, I would use Kalavinka again.

I'm also a fan of Kaisei tubing. Have made several bikes with their standard butted tubing and it was quite well made in terms of (low) bowing and uniform wall thicknesses. Nice stuff at a fair price, and less bow than most other brands. Their tube lengths, though, tend not to be so useful for frames for tall riders; as someone mentioned above, it is aimed more at short to average sized Americans (hardly their main market, of course.) That is the only drawback I could see. And, of course, spotty availability as UBI gave up on stocking it reliably. I hope Compass or someone will start bringing it in again.

Bill Bryant
    Good to know. I will email them today. Thank you for the information.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They Also listed ECO Stronglite tubing. I emailed and asked about that, since I can not find any info about it and ECO tubing keeps popping up in reference to well made Japanese frames.