Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlier Futureworks Pants

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Outlier Futureworks Pants

Man, I like these. I couldn't find the original thread where these were first mentioned, but I just got the reminder that they had more in stock so I thought I would extend the recommendation. I've worn them in the winter and more recently in Puerto Rico, and somehow they manage to cover to the two extremes. I've worn them in a variety of places too, even bushwhacking around while looking at property. My only complaint there is the fabric tends to pick up burrs very easily, but it doesn't snag or pull when they get removed. Minor annoyance.

Their waist measurement is a bit strange. When I followed their directions, I ended up with a 31 that had about an extra 3/4" - too big. So now I get the 30" waist, and the fit is perfect. I'd say they are travel casual but could be pressed (hah!) into service for something more dressy. Mine are both black (NYC you know?) but I plan to replace a few pairs of light colored cotton twills that are worn with some of Outlier's other colors (desert tan, dust olive.) I also plan to go visit their shop at some point to try on their better lines, just to see if they are worth double the price of the Futureworks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Outlier Futureworks Pants

I wear outlier bottoms 99% of the time unless I'm exercising (even then, sometimes) or sleeping. 3 Pair of shorts and 2 Pair of pants: Slim dungarees and 60/30s. I can barely bring myself to wear jeans so that's once every couple of months. Everything I have is awesome.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I also plan to go visit their shop at some point...
    a quick browsal of their site does not tell me where this shop is? i probably failed, but do they have a NYC location? i hate buying clothes without being able to try them on, especially pants in a brand i have no experience with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    a quick browsal of their site does not tell me where this shop is? i probably failed, but do they have a NYC location? i hate buying clothes without being able to try them on, especially pants in a brand i have no experience with.
    Their Info page.

Outlier
    87 Richardson St. Suite 201
    Brooklyn, NY 11211

They used to have Open Studio Fridays. Not sure if they still do.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the winter I've heard that you have to call and check. But in the spring/summer they usually have standard open hours on Friday.

Also I believe they have a pretty level headed return/exchange policy. And they send out their stuff in a nice reusable box. So you try it on, don't like it, send it back, get another size. They do leave the inseam pretty long - 34" across the board I think. Pants have a higher rise and are made to wear lowish, but 34" is pretty long. However, if you do visit, I think they have a tailoring service or work with a tailor who can hem the pants for you. Or you can just take them wherever you get other things tailored.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, these are top-notch pants no question - I really just came in here to chime in that indeed, as J44ke notes, their customer service is on point. I've exchanged a number of pieces with absolutely zero hassle, and wrote to them a while ago after having broken three buttons on a shirt I've had for years which they no longer make, and a week later I had an envelope with 10 buttons in it, no charge, no questions.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more of a New OG pant person. Good stuff that wears really well and I love the stretch. I can go play around with the kids and bike then wear the same pants for work the next day.

My one complaint is that sewing isn't always perfect. For example, the belt loops have a tendency to fray easily which is a bit annoying given the price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scrubadub View Post
    I'm more of a New OG pant person. Good stuff that wears really well and I love the stretch. I can go play around with the kids and bike then wear the same pants for work the next day.

My one complaint is that sewing isn't always perfect. For example, the belt loops have a tendency to fray easily which is a bit annoying given the price.
    I'd let them know. And send them back for repair.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Man, I like these... just to see if they are worth double the price of the Futureworks.
    Checking back on this one. Jorn, did you make that comparison?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No. I just haven't gotten a chance to get over there on a Friday. I still aim to do so though. I still have that pair of Futureworks I'd like to get them to tailor. You'd think getting from Manhattan to their shop would be simple, but nothing is simple these days with NYC subways.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the futureworks and New OG at the same time last month. For me they both fit true to size, 29" waist.

Really it's hard to tell a difference between them. If i closed my eyes and put a pair on I probably wouldn't know the difference. The OG is a slightly heavier weight fabric but not by much. I do like the slightly higher cut of the rear waist band on the OG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I received my Futurework pants on Friday and love the cut and styling. Ordered them in a 31 and 32 to confirm fit. The 31 is *just* a smidge to tight and the 32 is *just* a smidge to bid. Any comments from you owners on shrink in the waist? I've read they do shrink a bit in the waist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    I received my Futurework pants on Friday and love the cut and styling. Ordered them in a 31 and 32 to confirm fit. The 31 is *just* a smidge to tight and the 32 is *just* a smidge to bid. Any comments from you owners on shrink in the waist? I've read they do shrink a bit in the waist.
    From Outlier's Reddit - posted by an Outlier Employee

Our fabric tests show that F.Cloth shrinks 2% in length and .9% in width when dried on medium heat. A small amount, but washing and hang drying will definitely limit the shrinkage. That said, they pretty much return to original size when worn.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    From Outlier's Reddit - posted by an Outlier Employee
    Thanks Brandon. I'm going to go with the 32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And for the record, these trousers rock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    And for the record, these trousers rock!
    Do you have any other Outlier items (or similar brand)? I like the FCloth a lot and have them on my new ways. I think I'd like a pair of pants in same fabric. Wife has been saying "why don't you get another pair of those pants?" I think she's tired of me wearing my SDs everytime we step out of the house after dark. So .... maybe I'll get the future works. Of course - they are sold out in black. Maybe the olive will do.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post? somethings funky w/ the forum today.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post? somethings funky w/ the forum today.
    Yup. The Tall man's on it.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Yup. The Tall man's on it.
    Good, because I was going to quit the forum!
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have any other Outlier items (or similar brand)? I like the FCloth a lot and have them on my new ways. I think I'd like a pair of pants in same fabric. Wife has been saying "why don't you get another pair of those pants?" I think she's tired of me wearing my SDs everytime we step out of the house after dark. So .... maybe I'll get the future works. Of course - they are sold out in black. Maybe the olive will do.
    I do not but soon will. I'm picking up a pair of the Futureworks in Dust Olive and keeping an eye out for Khaki.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast