Thread: Rapha Core

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rapha Core

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I got one of the new versions of the Classic jersey (the Classic II) instead of the Core jersey. I like the old classic, but I can understand why they redid it. I felt like the old Classic's fabric made it a nice transitional season jersey (why I liked it actually,) but it was too thick for summer. The newer version has a similarly constructed fabric, but it is thinner and I expect will make it fine for all but the hottest days in summer. It isn't snug, but then it isn't supposed to be. And there are definitely days when I'd rather not be compressed, so that fit is still a handy option to have in the jersey drawer, imho.
    Thanks, that is helpful information. I have one Rapha jersey that I believe is a variation of the Classic (same fabric different style) and it is a 3 season item for me, just too warm in the summer. I have a decent discount coupon so the Classic II and the Core seem as if they would work for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After acknowledging this spring that my pile of old team kit is showing it's age and struggling to get excited about renewing my relationship with a Champion Systems chamois, I picked up a bundle of the Core stuff on the spring sale.

I get the hate, but I don't have the hate. My impression is that it's a stunningly good value, especially the bibs. Good enough that I'm sending the Assos bibs back that cost over twice as much.

Regarding the fit:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
    The fit is similar to our Classic products, but the raglan-sleeve construction and nature of both jersey and bib materials allow many customers to size-down for a 'Pro Team'-type fit.
    My impression is that the bibs are normally sized, but the jersey could be sized down. At a tad under six feet and 175, I ordered a large in both the jersey and bibs. I'm going to get another bundle before the spring discount is up, and I'll still go with large bibs, but a medium jersey. The fit is definitely an "everyman" shape, without being old school, Primal Wear club cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

* its age. More coffee needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's with and somewhat related, I just picked up a pair of the new Brevet and new Pro Team bibs with a coupon. They are both excellent and much preferred (for me) to any of my other high end shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    For what it's with and somewhat related, I just picked up a pair of the new Brevet and new Pro Team bibs with a coupon. They are both excellent and much preferred (for me) to any of my other high end shorts.
    Any thoughts on the differences between the Brevet and Pro Team bibs, especially in the fit or chamois?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Any thoughts on the differences between the Brevet and Pro Team bibs, especially in the fit or chamois?
    The chamois in the Brevet bibs is cushier, and dries faster (super-useful for camping/overnights). It's definitely a bit thicker, though they're both pretty great even after a half-dozen hours in the saddle. The Brevet bibs fit a bit shorter on the quad, and have a tight, nicely-grippy band as opposed to the longer and flatter powerband on the Pro Team bibs. The other big difference I notice is that the Brevet bibs are higher in the front, so pee-breaks are a bit odd but I won't get into the details on that. The fit of the straps on the Brevet bibs is also excellent; airy and snug at the same time. I'm a huge fan of the Brevet bibs.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Pretty much what this guy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    The chamois in the Brevet bibs is cushier, and dries faster (super-useful for camping/overnights). It's definitely a bit thicker, though they're both pretty great even after a half-dozen hours in the saddle. The Brevet bibs fit a bit shorter on the quad, and have a tight, nicely-grippy band as opposed to the longer and flatter powerband on the Pro Team bibs. The other big difference I notice is that the Brevet bibs are higher in the front, so pee-breaks are a bit odd but I won't get into the details on that. The fit of the straps on the Brevet bibs is also excellent; airy and snug at the same time. I'm a huge fan of the Brevet bibs.
    I'll add that the Pro Team leg gripper band that is now wide and flat as opposed to the thinner band on the previous version is a big improvement and greatly decreases sausage leg. The Brevet chamois is excellent and was instantly comfortable. Would (and most likely will) buy again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, longtime user of the Pro Team bibs. Is the Brevet chamois 2-piece (i.e., split down the middle) like the pro team chamois?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Hey guys, longtime user of the Pro Team bibs. Is the Brevet chamois 2-piece (i.e., split down the middle) like the pro team chamois?
    Yep, it looks pretty similar to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I ended up buying both a pair of the Pro Team and the Brevet bibs over the past month. Both are absolutely great.

The sizing across the range seems to really vary, though. I'm 5'11" and 173 as of this morning. The large Pro Teams are snug, the Cores are perfect, and the Brevets are maybe just a touch large, or at least will be if I continue losing weight. The difference between the Pro Teams and Brevets seems to be at least a full size, which I figure might be useful info for someone else.

While the higher end offerings are pretty amazing, I still think the Core bibs are a great value, and the leg gripper on them is my favorite of all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've accumulated some Core stuff over the past few months by utilising coupon codes and bundles at the same time to get a pretty decent deal.

I'm enamoured with the bibs. Granted, I've never had any other Rapha product before these but they are fantastic. Great for my wide sit bones too which is always nice.

Being tall and thin (although with broad shoulders), the jerseys are just ok in terms of fit. I have the long- and short-sleeves and they're just a bit short and boxy around the waist for me. I also have the rain jacket which saved me on a long rainy/hail-y ride in France in April. Not as breathable as the top end options but very capable and look forward to putting it through the paces over the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianWong View Post
    I've accumulated some Core stuff over the past few months by utilising coupon codes and bundles at the same time to get a pretty decent deal.

I'm enamoured with the bibs. Granted, I've never had any other Rapha product before these but they are fantastic. Great for my wide sit bones too which is always nice.

Being tall and thin (although with broad shoulders), the jerseys are just ok in terms of fit. I have the long- and short-sleeves and they're just a bit short and boxy around the waist for me. I also have the rain jacket which saved me on a long rainy/hail-y ride in France in April. Not as breathable as the top end options but very capable and look forward to putting it through the paces over the next few years.
    I agree with the bolded above. I couldn't really come up with the right term, but boxy is a good description. I think they've gone for fit-on-the-bike and not in the café? Because when I am bent over, the waist is in the right place. But any other position, I feel a bit like I am wearing a midriff top which is a tiny bit disconcerting. And the waistband is a bit un-snug. But on the flip side, I think I've tired of race fit jerseys, and I don't think I really look good in them. SO might as well be comfortable in my midriff jersey.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dredge.

I need some summer bibs ... Not doing another summer in my SAS kit. Too hot and humid here. And summer lasts into October here anymore. Love that SAS stuff but it's three season gear in the south ATMO.

I want La Passion lightweight bibs but they are out of stock for now. How we feeling about Rapha Core bibs for hot, summer weather?

Edit: budget under a buck fifty, thus Core and La Passione were at the top of my list. I am tempted by Catella's basic ones at 165 but the color isn't murdered out black so that's strike one.
    Last edited by deano; 04-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just bought two pair of Core bibs yesterday. Fabric reminds me of the old Assos S5 Neo Pro bibs a little. That's a good thing IMHO. I'll be wearing these tomorrow but will have to extrapolate to 125F North Carolina summer temps so it will be a guess whether it would work down there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just 90s, Jorn, but 90-eleven% humidity from May to October. Strongin, Gaddis and those between them are in likely the only swampier places than here. The land of bad hair days, but moist healthy skin, go figure. RDU had wettest year on record last year, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Just 90s, Jorn, but 90-eleven% humidity from May to October. Strongin, Gaddis and those between them are in likely the only swampier places than here. The land of bad hair days, but moist healthy skin, go figure. RDU had wettest year on record last year, too.
    I have no hair so that's not a concern. I guess that's the good thing about being bald.

They're pricey, but the Rapha Pro Teams are great in hot weather. I tried the Lightweight Pro Teams once and while they are certainly lightweight, the material just felt weird. I haven't ridden in Core bibs, but some friends do and like them here, even in summer. I'm curious how the La Passione lightweight bibs feel. I had a pair of their regular bibs and found them way too heavy for summer riding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I have no hair so that's not a concern. I guess that's the good thing about being bald.

They're pricey, but the Rapha Pro Teams are great in hot weather. I tried the Lightweight Pro Teams once and while they are certainly lightweight, the material just felt weird. I haven't ridden in Core bibs, but some friends do and like them here, even in summer. I'm curious how the La Passione lightweight bibs feel. I had a pair of their regular bibs and found them way too heavy for summer riding.
    I will be not far behind you, having less all the time. It's made me picky and vain about that which remains in the meantime but I gladly welcome the au naturale future of free buzzcuts. And cooler heads prevailing in the heat.
    Last edited by deano; 04-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may veer into the Core line this season. For jerseys at least. The Pro stuff (whatever it's called) is for Barbie Dolls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Just bought two pair of Core bibs yesterday. Fabric reminds me of the old Assos S5 Neo Pro bibs a little. That's a good thing IMHO. I'll be wearing these tomorrow but will have to extrapolate to 125F North Carolina summer temps so it will be a guess whether it would work down there.
    Funny, I just picked up a pair of these as well. I've been using a core jersey for a while now and while it's not the finest piece of cycling kit I've worn, it's more than you'd get for your money elsewhere. This morning was my first ride in the core bibs - ranged from 8-10C with on/off light rain. They were comfortable, mildly wicking, and dried hung inside in about 4hr (dry enough to put away). Just yesterday, in anticipation of receiving these, I did a similar morning ride in a pair of the Classic II bibs and actually prefer the core material and quad-band. On top of that, because my very weight-weenie friend asked, I weighed them and found that the Core are about 40g lighter. The straps are almost as nice as the on-trend laser-cut straps of Albion and others, but might be a bit more robust. Time will tell how well they hold up.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Octave's review. My only criticism is that the leg bands stick a bit too well, so I roll them up in order to put the bibs on, then roll them back down when everything is in place. But on the bike, they are comfortable and even though the pad feels a bit too rearward after putting them on, while riding the position works very well. The straps are nice - enough stretch to keep the pad in the right place but not so much you feel like you are being compressed. Much more like earlier Assos (S5) stuff than the current S7 - in a good way. I think they will be fine in summer, even in high humidity.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast