Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasses...Online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Glasses...Online?

Never did it; never bought spectacles online.

I'm up for a new prescription and I really don't feel like contributing to someone's overtly inflated rent...

...and I'd appreciate a far wider selection of frames than what's typically on offer at most shops.

What is the proper measuring process for fit?

Any recommendations for solid online vendors?
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Glasses...Online?

I've used Warby Parker, as has my wife, with great success. You can scan your prescription, the prices are good, and best of all they will send you 5 styles to try out (non-prescription) to get a feel for the glasses in person. They also have a module where you can look at the glasses on your face using your computer's camera, but obviously this doesn't tell you much about how they fit/feel in real life. The quality is good, but not spectacular, and the shipping is all free. If you're looking for a standard daily wear, I can definitely recommend them.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

warby parker probably your best bet...you can select a bunch of frames and they will ship them to you (free of charge) so you can try them on for size

pretty wide selection of frames...good value

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warby Parker has been great for me. As others have said, it's a painless process, they're cheap, and their style is on-trend. I see no reason to go back into a glasses store, ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll echo others, Warby Parker has been good to my family. In addition though, for one of my last frames, I used Target which also shipped the frames to me to try on before purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warby Parker. And if you happen to be near where they have a physical store, you can totally even go in.

Have 5 pairs in the house between The Boss and I. Both she and I are very happy with the product and their service.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a happy Costco customer for the last 15+ years. Price has been hard to beat. They happily replace chipped or heavily scratched lenses and have gone out of their way to replace damaged frames. Their selection varies by store and even by month. They tend to get well known brands, but can't special order styles or colors from those brands. What they have is what they have.

Costco is a great place for contacts too.

I am going to consider Warby Parker though for this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta say, I was skeptical too, but Warby Parker is legit. I've bought three pairs and they've all been great. The "home try-on" is a great way to check them out before you buy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all...Warby Parker is at the top of the list.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For fit, measure your old glasses. That should give you an idea of the width and temple length that you need.

I've been happy with glasses from the following:

Zenni Optical
    Goggles4U
    Frames Direct - This is my go to place for prescription sunglasses (Wiley X). The prices might seem high but they often run 30% off on the lens price.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, never needed glasses before (46) noticed my eyes worsening...needed to hold my 10 year olds glasses and didn't have a free hand. Her prescription was perfect for me. So now I've set an appt.

We went through Zenni for hers. I'll end up going WP or Zenni, we were happy with her transaction
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what's the vote on Tortoiseshell frames? The Wifey is OCD...therefore hates anything beyond solids and other than black, green or orange, of that only specific hues are acceptable ergo her opinion doesn't count.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2X on Goggles4U - unbelieveably low prices, huge selection. I have been rocking the same pair for 4 years and can't think of a reason to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs View Post
    So what's the vote on Tortoiseshell frames? The Wifey is OCD...therefore hates anything beyond solids and other than black, green or orange, of that only specific hues are acceptable ergo her opinion doesn't count.
    I like tortoiseshell when it is extreme. Like these frames from Moscot.

A friend got some very nice looking frames from David Kind. I'd say they compare favorably with Barton Perreira frames, which I think are the non-plus-ultra of acetate/plastic frame design. David Kind has a similar multiple frame try on policy to Warby Parker.

You can also just buy frames and then get the prescription locally. That perhaps gives you the best of both worlds. You want a very careful set up with measurements that are as accurate as possible.

The place where most lens prescriptions screw up is on eye center - where your pupils look through the lens. That position is everything, especially if you have an astigmatism. If the eye center is off, you'll feel like you have to search around the lens for the place where focus is sharpest. Or you will find that you have a stiff neck from having to raise your head slightly or a headache from lowering your head so your eyes are looking up slightly.

Most people don't actually realize how bad their lens prescriptions are. I am never surprised when I point out something in the distance (usually a bird) and the person next to me cannot even see that something is there, let alone what that thing is. And when asked, they will say they have a recent prescription. I've actually persuaded optometrists to bring lenses and the fitting glasses outside so I can look at actual distances instead of pretend ones with tiny letters in the exam room. The differences in prescription usually surprise the optometrist.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I like tortoiseshell when it is extreme. Like these frames from Moscot.

A friend got some very nice looking frames from David Kind. I'd say they compare favorably with Barton Perreira frames, which I think are the non-plus-ultra of acetate/plastic frame design. David Kind has a similar multiple frame try on policy to Warby Parker.

You can also just buy frames and then get the prescription locally. That perhaps gives you the best of both worlds. You want a very careful set up with measurements that are as accurate as possible.

The place where most lens prescriptions screw up is on eye center - where your pupils look through the lens. That position is everything, especially if you have an astigmatism. If the eye center is off, you'll feel like you have to search around the lens for the place where focus is sharpest. Or you will find that you have a stiff neck from having to raise your head slightly or a headache from lowering your head so your eyes are looking up slightly.

Most people don't actually realize how bad their lens prescriptions are. I am never surprised when I point out something in the distance (usually a bird) and the person next to me cannot even see that something is there, let alone what that thing is. And when asked, they will say they have a recent prescription. I've actually persuaded optometrists to bring lenses and the fitting glasses outside so I can look at actual distances instead of pretend ones with tiny letters in the exam room. The differences in prescription usually surprise the optometrist.
    Great post, thanks. I think I just may do that, order the frames and bring it local.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am wearing my Warby Parkers right now. Took two tries to get a pair that looked the same as the home try on. The first pair looked good when tried without a prescription, but when they sent the prescription pair, they were so badly stretched and misshapen that they didn't even look the same as the try on pair. This second pair is a better fit, but the lens quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have a mild astigmatism but have never had glasses where circles appeared oval in anything but the most dead center of the lens. For the price ($125), they are adequate, but I definitely won't be getting rid of my better quality glasses (from Costco optical, haha).

If I was only going to own one pair, I'd look elsewhere than Warby Parker, but as a second set, they are ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I am wearing my Warby Parkers right now. Took two tries to get a pair that looked the same as the home try on. The first pair looked good when tried without a prescription, but when they sent the prescription pair, they were so badly stretched and misshapen that they didn't even look the same as the try on pair. This second pair is a better fit, but the lens quality leaves a lot to be desired. I have a mild astigmatism but have never had glasses where circles appeared oval in anything but the most dead center of the lens. For the price ($125), they are adequate, but I definitely won't be getting rid of my better quality glasses (from Costco optical, haha).

If I was only going to own one pair, I'd look elsewhere than Warby Parker, but as a second set, they are ok.
    Goggles 4 U, man. I'm still wearing my $10 pair 4 years later, rock solid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post

I too would like to report a negative (ish) experience with Warby Parker glasses. I did the test run and thought all the glass felt really poorly made. The hinges seemed especially sub-par to me. I got roped into buying frames at Lens Crafters and then saved a little money by sending them to a service that makes lenses and installs them. Buying glasses at a brick and mortar seems a little overpriced so in my most recent escapade I visited a brick and mortar, tried on a bunch of glasses, and then just ordered the same glasses (and lenses) from FramesDirect.com. Good pricing, prompt turn around and I was actually able to talk to someone on the phone to arrange for a shipping change.
    Samson Shepherd
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Enginerd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a parallel universe I wonder if there's a forum for opticians that contains lamentations of competition in the internet era, notably the problem of showrooming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you not just buy the WP frames?
    -Dustin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast