Thread: Glasses...Online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Glasses...Online?

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    No one here to tell us to support the LGS ?
    I realize your comment was tongue-in-cheek (and made me laugh). but I doubt that the average person doesn’t realize that most of the local chains that sell glasses are controlled by Luxottica and, for the independent shops, the brands they carry are frequently almost all controlled by Luxottica. I’m surprised that companies like Warby-Parker are able to survive.

When I was in Paris last spring, I bought a pair of glasses from a little shop in the Marais called Paul Ward. Similar concept to WP—all of the frames were €98.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been buying online for the past few years since my optician quit.

Quality of the lenses seem the same. It is almost impossible to get a frame off the shelf (or via post) that will fit as well and as comfortably as a pair of frames that have been custom adjusted by a skilled optician.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    <cut> ...most of the local chains that sell glasses are controlled by Luxottica and, for the independent shops, the brands they carry are frequently almost all controlled by Luxottica.
    This ^ .
    Luxottica is the De Beers of the eyewear trade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize your comment was tongue-in-cheek (and made me laugh). but I doubt that the average person realizes that most of the local chains that sell glasses are controlled by Luxottica and, for the independent shops, the brands they carry are frequently almost all controlled by Luxottica.
    Oops, it was probably clear but I didn’t mean to have a double-negative—corrected above for clarity.

To e-Richie’s point, I was struggling to think of an industry that is as controlled as the glasses industry, and diamonds would be it. Although Luxottica is jv compared to DeBeers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I learnt something in the proces ;-) Thank you happycamper.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 01-15-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I learnt something in the proces ;-) Thank you happycamper.
    Hey, at least they're Italian—they do monopolization in style! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience is that these sorts of glasses work if you have a normal prescription without any kind of odd barrel issues, astigmatism, eye center, bifocal etc. I'm also pretty particular about acuity, and I haven't found it in the inexpensive mail-order eyewear. I can see, but acuity is not sharp and variances in the lens create distortions. As I understand it, a lot of lenses these days, especially single view lenses, are actually molded instead of ground. Whatever the case, I can see it. I also cannot wear progressives as they cause nausea and headaches, and I dislike having to find the portion of the lens that is in focus in order to see what I want to see and the lack of any focus for peripheral vision.

But I am also someone who often sends back lenses at the optometrists.

I must say though that one of the best prescriptions (single view) I've ever gotten was from Oakley. The lenses are heavily curved for use in a pair of Racing Jackets, and they were sharp from edge to edge. Unbelievable. If I can get that edge to edge sharpness in a bifocal lens, I'll be set.

Anyway, I've tried two of the brands mentioned above (Warby Parker and Jins) and both times the glasses have gone into a drawer until a friend mentioned he needed new frames and I gave them to him. The lenses just weren't good enough for my eyes at least.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the Happy one said. I went to a local and highly recommended shop than walked out after they attempted to rack up a $700 tab for a simple prescription and frames I liked....there had to be a better way. Google revealed the Luxottica game. Ouch.

Unfortunately I can not find anything at CostCo that I like thus Warby Parker. Now that I get it, I'm game to give something else a try since WP lineup is pretty limited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m surprised that companies like Warby-Parker are able to survive.
    WP had raised $215,500,000 from VC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Caveat lector: I'm not an optician, but I used to ride with one, who told me a bit about the trade)

Usually, the store takes a pair of lenses for your prescription (sphere/strength & cylinder), and cut them to fit the frame. What makes one optometrist better than the other is the care they take to cut the lenses such that they are placed correctly vis a vis the frame and the wearer. So as long as care is taken to cut them right, there should be no difference between LGS & online. My LGS told me my insurance no longer allows them to cut in-store anyways, and have them send the frame over to the insurer lab for lenses to be fit. So it's practically the same as online vendors.

The rare exception is that some (maybe just one?) manufacturers can custom reground a lens, changing it's parameters. This allows adding a prescription to sports lenses, or controlling the gradient of multifocal lenses. As you can guess, this is very expensive, hence uncommon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Now that I get it, I'm game to give something else a try since WP lineup is pretty limited.

Let me know what you find other than WP - I had a pair and wasn't happy. I have always bought bottom rung stuff from the optician and what came from WP was that or below. I need a new pair and now that I have insurance, I am in the hunt for something decent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont know. I have Warby Parker and I feel that they are fine. I am happy I paid $95 for them as I couldnt get anything close at the optician. They are large frames, so I have been wearing them on the bike with good success for wind blockage.

I do just have a single vision prescription, though.

Another option, perhaps, would be to buy a frame (new or used) and have Replace-a-lens fill the prescription. Reviews seem decent. I am considering doing this for an oakley nosebridge prescription insert...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123