User Tag List

Thread: Smoker for a 10 year old

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Smoker for a 10 year old

So my youngest just turned 10 and wants a smoker! Hell ya! He wants to do wings and the like.

I don't know much about smokers but would an electric be a good start for him/us? And no he is NOT getting a green egg thing.

Saratoga Springs, New York, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Smoker for a 10 year old

Electric would definitely be the easiest way to go. They are very simple to operate. It is essentially a hot plate with wood chips, so its set it and forget type of operation. I have no first hand experience, this is only second hand knowledge from my brother in-law.

For charcoal, Weber makes a small smoker

Smokey Mountain Cookerâ„¢ Smoker 14" | Weber.com

I have used the middle size for about 15years and its a great unit. Every kid I know loves playing with fire, so depending on how you feel about that, its a great way to go.

Wings are great on it, but you have to get it up to temp ~350F. There is a fantastic resource for recipes and methods at The Virtual Weber Bullet - For the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker smoker enthusiast
    Last edited by Chris Yates; 02-16-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 30 inch Masterbuilt electric. Super easy to use, 4 racks. Can usually find on sale somewhere for around $150. I purchased mine at Tractor Supply.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I have a 30 inch Masterbuilt electric. Super easy to use, 4 racks. Can usually find on sale somewhere for around $150. I purchased mine at Tractor Supply.

Amazon.com : Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker, Top Controller : Patio, Lawn & Garden
    thats the exact one I was looking at, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have the same one as well. LOVE it.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    thats the exact one I was looking at, thanks!
    John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird... Thought this was about dirt bikes!
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, has to be a top 10 thread title.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my 11 year old wants are G.I. joe figures and lego sets. I doubt he even knows what a smoker is.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to revive this one. I’m considering getting a smoker and the Masterbuilt electric is where I’m currently leaning. I’m hesitating as I’ve seen a couple of bad reviews on Amazon. Is anyone having the quality problems such as the bubbling paint or the bad door sealing that I have seen? Also, how well does it go to low temps and how accurate is the control?

I’ve also seen something about using a pellet tube instead of chips. Any experience with this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    All my 11 year old wants are G.I. joe figures and lego sets. I doubt he even knows what a smoker is.
    You can be thankful for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Time to revive this one. I’m considering getting a smoker and the Masterbuilt electric is where I’m currently leaning. I’m hesitating as I’ve seen a couple of bad reviews on Amazon. Is anyone having the quality problems such as the bubbling paint or the bad door sealing that I have seen? Also, how well does it go to low temps and how accurate is the control?

I’ve also seen something about using a pellet tube instead of chips. Any experience with this?
    No issues going on 2 years with the MES 30 so far. We have smoked a boatload of wings, thighs, butts, shoulders, turkeys, etc... and it has performed just fine.

I put a cheap cover on it and while its outside since day one, its under our deck but has gotten wet and snow on it but seems to be holding up.

Still use regular wood chips but have read about pellets being the way to go but chips works for us. As far as temp, I think the lowest we have used it was 200 or 225. It does take a little while to get up to temp and sometimes I've noticed the temp fluctuate during the hours but using a digital thermometer with external display works way better anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I built a cart for mine out of an old gas grill frame and keep it in the garage. Mine is 6 or 7 years old and the only problem I experienced was the electronic control quit working, second year i think. Great service, they mailed a replacement that I installed myself. No issues with paint or a bad seal. Keeping it out of the weather helps with that no doubt.

I think the lowest it goes is 180. Only have issues getting to temp when it is freezing cold outside. It still will, just takes a while. I would buy another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to say it sounds like a good trade...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll add a vote for a charcoal smoker, check out the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM). Available in three sizes, 14", 18", 22", each with two cooking grates, priced at $200, $300, and $400. I'd get at least the 18", that's what I've got, and I wish I had the 22" sometimes (I'm actually selling mine and building up a drum smoker, another option if you like a little DIY). Super easy smoker to run, set the vents properly and it'll go all day without you needing to fiddle with it. I've done a 15+ hour cook on mine and still had coals left. Check this out :: https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ker-48567.html

No electric or mechanical parts to fail, and you can cook without power (which I've done several times when we've had power outages). Easily taken with you somewhere if you want. Porcelain coated just like the kettle grills.

I made these yesterday on mine.

Last edited by dgaddis; 08-28-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m pretty set on either electric or propane at this point. I’ve got a gas grill and don’t want to inventory charcoal as space is a concern as I have limited covered outdoor storage. I’m certain that charcoal gives a better result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I’m pretty set on either electric or propane at this point. I’ve got a gas grill and don’t want to inventory charcoal as space is a concern as I have limited covered outdoor storage. I’m certain that charcoal gives a better result.
    Holds a large bag of Kingsford charcoal and I keep mine outside year round in an uncovered area. I do keep 3-4 sealed bags inside in reserve, but that little bin is next to the Weber and it is airtight and does the trick.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Buddeez-Kings...SABEgJgYPD_BwE
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, I've got a few of those and they're great! I keep all my charcoal (I only use lump, not briquettes) outside in those even with the stupid high humidity here in the southeast everything stays fine. FYI, they're only $14 on amazon, SHIPPED. I don't know how they're making any money on them....I can't imagine it cost less than $14 just to ship them things.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?