User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cane Creek EC34 & Chris King NoThreadset - outside diameters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cane Creek EC34 & Chris King NoThreadset - outside diameters?

Hi folks,

can anybody tell me the outside diameter of Cane Creek's 110.EC34 & Chris King NoThreadset for 1-1/8" steerers? (lower edge if possible)

Also, if anyone could tell me what the crown diameter is on Easton's EC90 SL for that'd help too.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cane Creek EC34 & Chris King NoThreadset - outside diameters?

Since I don't do internet searches for others all I have to say is have your, Babe, done so? Or tried to do? I believe that Chris King has or still does publish their specs on their website. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Andy, I did try and do a bit of internet searching all by myself on this subject and yes, you're right in that these companies publish detailed tech specs.

Here's the Cane Creek document on the headset I mention; and here's Chris King's relevant document as well.

I did read them but, alas, they do not have the information I need. They seem to concentrate on the admittedly more important internal diameter specs (functionally important anyway). I couldn't find Easton fork specs, but I'm not that skilled an internet searcher. Maybe I'll try Bing next time.

I did also take the time to e-mail all three companies to ask, but yesterday being Sunday the answer would take a little more time and I thought it might be a good idea to ask here. I do apologize for that mistake.

FWIW, Cane Creek replied today, and here's the relevant quote for the benefit of someone seaching for this info (who knows, right?):

The widest portion of the cup is about 47mm OD and it tapers in slightly at the bottom to 45mm.
    If Chris King and Easton answer my e-mails I'll post their information here as well. For the benefit of Google users everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I understand, you want to use EC headset on IS forks? If so, hardly comes up decently looking
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Babe- I see that I miss read your OP. I thought that you were asking for the press fitting diameters. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    As far as I understand, you want to use EC headset on IS forks? If so, hardly comes up decently looking
    Yes, that's the problem. I'm looking for a full carbon fibre, disc compatible fork with a 1-1/8" inch straight steerer, and the only ones I could find - Enigma C-Six D and SJS Evolution A647 - are IS forks.

I do have a steel solution for this, but would like to have a carbon option as well. Since this project is nearly as much about the looks as it is about weight (TT OX Platinum tubing etc.) I though I might at least try to match fork crown and headset diameters. I asked about Easton because I've seen photos of it and it looked like the best fit (smallest crown diameter) this side of a Columbus Minimal, which is, of course, the best aesthetic match (to my taste). By 'this side' I mean the wrong side.

If anyone has any other fork suggestions, I'd love to see them!

That Enigma fork has a 45mm crown that would kind of match a Cane Creek headset. In theory anyway. But at the cost of a higher stack, and I'd rather have a good look at this match than shelling out £200 for an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Babe- I see that I miss read your OP. I thought that you were asking for the press fitting diameters. Andy.
    :-) Sorry Andy, I gotta admit I did find your post a bit strange, seeing that I'd spent a couple of hours researching this already. Not that you would know it, obviously, but I just assumed that the answer was most definitely *not* common knowledge a Google search away. Let alone Bing!

BTW, I got a crown diameter for that Easton EC90 SL fork - 42mm according to a well known online cycling retailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mention EC90 SL and Columbus Minimal as aesthetic references only; they're for caliper brakes unfortunately (for me).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my personal bike with the Cane Creek EC34(40 series) and the Easton EC90 fork. Looks fine to me.
    16656502520_9b2032d0dc_z (1).jpg
    Dave Saul
    Starr Cycles (not a real company, but I need to put something on the downtube)
    Bridgeton, NJ
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/starrcycles/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks nice, Dave. I'm gathering the courage to buy that Enigma fork.