Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: SCJ Antonin Scalia Died

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: SCJ Antonin Scalia Died

I can see that dissenting opinions are not welcome here. What a pile on.

Anybody that gets on board with either party should have their heads examined.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arcadian View Post
    I can see that dissenting opinions are not welcome here. What a pile on.

Anybody that gets on board with either party should have their heads examined.
    Which is a fine stance to take in a sort of ironic repose, but the unfortunate truth is these are the two parties setting and making policy in this country. Sitting on the sidelines and turning your nose at it doesn't fix anything.

Hell, that's most of the problem. Nobody votes, and those that do gain and outsized influence in what policy is set in this country. Because they, yanno, vote and show up and donate money and do all that sort of stuff.

Scoffing doesn't fill the ballot box, sadly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You assume too much. Just because I am not a card carrying member, doesn't mean I don't participate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I think the reason to take a stand for a nomination and a vote has nothing to do with the parties. It's about Justice. We have a right as Americans to have our day in court and not all cases are as politically charged as others. Plaintiffs deserve a final say and in some cases a 4-4 tie doesn't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

deleted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    This is a common defense that holds absolutely no water. One only needs to compare the two most recent debates. On one, the issues were discussed and sensible solutions were proposed and debated. On the other the participants were completely unhinged. The ideas discussed were either completely beyond the rule of law or completely detached from reality. As to corruption one side focuses on removing the influence of special interest money from the process, the other is funded unprecedented amounts contributed by by 150 of the most wealthy individuals in the country. On subject after subject from the economy, the environment, foreign policy etc. one side has skewed well beyond historical norms, the other hasn't. Even the patron saint of the right Ronald Reagan would not pass the current litmus tests. So spare us your parroted "both sides do it" line.
    Spare us your next-level naivety. Just because the current crop of Republican candidates are insane doesn't change the fact that the Democrats engage in the same political bullshit that Republicans do. Special interests and big money have massive influence on both parties. That's simply a fact, and to deny it is silly. There is a long list of special interests actively courted by both parties, and nothing is being done to deter them. Many people come away from Washington astounded at how similar both parties are once you get beyond the bluster on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Which is a fine stance to take in a sort of ironic repose, but the unfortunate truth is these are the two parties setting and making policy in this country. Sitting on the sidelines and turning your nose at it doesn't fix anything.

Hell, that's most of the problem. Nobody votes, and those that do gain and outsized influence in what policy is set in this country. Because they, yanno, vote and show up and donate money and do all that sort of stuff.

Scoffing doesn't fill the ballot box, sadly.
    For true middle-of-the-road guys, the primary process is pretty hard to stomach. Both sides have to pander to a degree (we'll make the Mexicans pay for a wall!!/free college for everyone paid for by the exploiters!!) that it's hard to take for a reasonable person. At least during the general election, the candidates need to come to the middle a bit. But I agree, you can't just sit it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- i read all the above and smile..

damn, it was worth shedding my blood for and collecting dog tags and writing letters to families and loved ones..
    we can, debate, disagree and express or subjective/objective opinions without the fear of being imprisoned, tortured, families found dead or missing..

this is America, my country & i want my commander & chief to do his job relative to the will of the people that elected and placed him in office to do so.. ---- even if i did note vote for him...
    & i xoxo you my brothers, and respect that we can agree to disagree..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Enjoying this discussion, honestly. It IS my appointment to remind y'all be civil to each other.
    Peace, Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who are the potential candidates to replace him? Just curious.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Mostly gay, transsexual abortion doctors:

Obama Compiles Shortlist Of Gay, Transsexual Abortion Doctors To Replace Scalia - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Seriously though, top options seem to be:

Loretta Lynch, the current AG.
    Mariano-Florentino Cuellar, who is an Associate Justice on the CA Supreme Court
    Sri Srinivasan, who is on the DC Circuit Court

Obama will put forward someone with unimpeachable credentials who isn't particularly liberal. And the Republicans will obstruct and alienate constituencies they can't win without in November.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obama could submit Clarence Thomas' twin brother and he'd probably be rejected by this Senate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There certainly is too much money flowing into the the Democratic side too (even though the sums are dwarfed by what is flooding into the Republican side - who has the largest interest in warping perceptions?) As long as the public continues to take the bait and votes for the purchased candidates the problem will persist.

But one candidate, on either side, in the current race has no PAC and only takes small donations. Do you support him?

Quote Originally Posted by Craven Moorehead View Post
    Spare us your next-level naivety. Just because the current crop of Republican candidates are insane doesn't change the fact that the Democrats engage in the same political bullshit that Republicans do. Special interests and big money have massive influence on both parties. That's simply a fact, and to deny it is silly. There is a long list of special interests actively courted by both parties, and nothing is being done to deter them. Many people come away from Washington astounded at how similar both parties are once you get beyond the bluster on tv.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Here are some possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There certainly is too much money flowing into the the Democratic side too (even though the sums are dwarfed by what is flooding into the Republican side - who has the largest interest in warping perceptions?) As long as the public continues to take the bait and votes for the purchased candidates the problem will persist.

But one candidate, on either side, in the current race has no PAC and only takes small donations. Do you support him?
    No, I don't support him. I admire his rejection of super PAC money and I respect his reluctance to attack his opponents on the issue, but he doesn't align with my views on issues more important (to me) than campaign finance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so trump then?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    And do you honestly expect anyone to believe that democrats wouldn't be making this same argument if the roles were reversed?
    Did I say that? I was criticizing the argument on its lack of merit. No matter who makes that argument, it is a stupid and wrong. Who knows what the Democrats would do? I am no longer surprised at anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    so trump then?
    John Boehner ?
    WH Taft went from President to the Supreme Court, why not BH Obama ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the news as i drove in to work this morning i heard Chuck Grassley say that Obama could not get a vote on his nomination because of what happened to Robert Bork....

I turned off the radio...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the news as i drove in to work this morning i heard Chuck Grassley say that Obama could not get a vote on his nomination because of what happened to Robert Bork....

I turned off the radio...
    The Pope and Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church met for the first time last week after excommunicating each other 1000 years ago. These political battles can last a long time. Maybe we will find a few adults in the room sooner?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The Pope and Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church met for the first time last week after excommunicating each other 1000 years ago. These political battles can last a long time. Maybe we will find a few adults in the room sooner?
    Optimist...

Fortunately neither of those gentlemen have the codes to the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet, or the long list of major crisis points that need responsible decisions...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast