Thread: Superbowl 2016 - Chowhound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Superbowl 2016 - Chowhound

I'm making:

Braised *Beef Shortribs with red wine, rosemary made in a heavy cast enamel Descoware (in the fam. since the 60's). Stovetop browning and oven finish. One of my all time favor flavor explosions. I'll probably serve polenta on the same plate. If anyone has an opinion regarding polenta flavoring / inclusions speak now. I think simple is good?

Whole fresh off the farm Turkey. Stuffed with a sack of fresh rosemary! Cooled and sliced for serving cold with great bread, pickles, mustard etc.

Keep it simple. Food guests can assemble themselves. Guests are bringing slaw, chips, desserts.

*Thanks whoever recently posted pics of this. YES :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Superbowl 2016 - Chowhound

Since its a 3:30pm PST kickoff, and I am in PST, it'll be my favorite chips and Pliny the Elder.

Some kind of fresh fish for dinner (caught off Half Moon Bay from our local fisherman at Sunday Farmers Market)

Once I see the flyover after GaGa finishes, I will get up off the couch, step into the yard and look up. That's about the time it will take to get from Levi's to over the top of my house. Love hearing the the sound of freedom overhead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    ... I'll probably serve polenta on the same plate. If anyone has an opinion regarding polenta flavoring / inclusions speak now. I think simple is good?
    If it was me, I'd probably do cheese grits with fontina or something similar. Lots fresh ground black pepper.

Once I see the flyover after GaGa finishes, I will get up off the couch, step into the yard and look up. That's about the time it will take to get from Levi's to over the top of my house. Love hearing the the sound of freedom overhead.
    Those will be my wife's 15s (144th CA ANG). I sometimes have a hard time reconciling how awesome they are in the air with all of the maintenance nightmares I hear about. Last week she was grumbling about having to run checks on armament systems sitting in puddles in the cockpit because the canopy was also jacked up. They're POS... but amazing when they are in the air. (she also might really wish they still had the 16s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    If it was me, I'd probably do cheese grits with fontina or something similar. Lots fresh ground black pepper.
    I like what you are pitching. I've got a log of questionable goat cheese and a sack of awww-thentic S.Carolina stone ground grits (Thank you Boyd). Would that suffice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like what you are pitching. I've got a log of questionable goat cheese and a sack of awww-thentic S.Carolina stone ground grits (Thank you Boyd). Would that suffice?
    hell yes on the stone ground grits. Probably not on the chevre... it's not going to melt in the way you want it to in all likelihood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guacamole. Avocados, lemon juice, salt. Good chips. That's it.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beef short ribs in two parts.
    Great quality ribs and some in process shots.
    This is going to be good.
    sr1.jpgsr2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the game at home and probably making regular ol' chili.

Tomorrow however, we are having folks over later afternoon, so I am putting a 9lb brisket on the smoker before I go to bed tonight.
    Emeril's dry rub.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beef Ribs done! I'll cool/skim fat. Reheat and serve with cheese grits this Sunday. Love love love cooking ahead.

*Sampled the goods. Rosemary / Thyme permeated the meat. It's perfect. Turkey just went in. First time ever cooking a turkey with convection. Cook time is 1.5 hrs. at 400(20 mins)/350 remainder of time with an electronic probe. Freaky if it works.

done.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ those ribs are making me hungry. as much as I love chips, these trump!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    Those will be my wife's 15s (144th CA ANG). I sometimes have a hard time reconciling how awesome they are in the air with all of the maintenance nightmares I hear about. Last week she was grumbling about having to run checks on armament systems sitting in puddles in the cockpit because the canopy was also jacked up. They're POS... but amazing when they are in the air. (she also might really wish they still had the 16s)
    Wow! that is awesome.

A few months ago the Raiders are beating the Broncos when the Blue Angels decide to fly over mid-3rd quarter after finishing fleet week. At the EXACT time I look up to see the Angels, Carr throws a 74yard pick six to von miller and the game swings the other way for good. I was so pissed. My pal saw the pick, I saw the Angels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. I almost made some nuclear wings, just for drill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Since its a 3:30pm PST kickoff, and I am in PST, it'll be my favorite chips and Pliny the Elder.

Some kind of fresh fish for dinner (caught off Half Moon Bay from our local fisherman at Sunday Farmers Market)

One of the biggest downsides of leaving my fancy Silicon Valley company is that I no longer have access to Pliny the Elder. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    One of the biggest downsides of leaving my fancy Silicon Valley company is that I no longer have access to Pliny the Elder. :(
    That is actually sad. We are here to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm making:

Braised *Beef Shortribs with red wine, rosemary made in a heavy cast enamel Descoware (in the fam. since the 60's). Stovetop browning and oven finish. One of my all time favor flavor explosions. I'll probably serve polenta on the same plate. If anyone has an opinion regarding polenta flavoring / inclusions speak now. I think simple is good?

Whole fresh off the farm Turkey. Stuffed with a sack of fresh rosemary! Cooled and sliced for serving cold with great bread, pickles, mustard etc.

Keep it simple. Food guests can assemble themselves. Guests are bringing slaw, chips, desserts.

*Thanks whoever recently posted pics of this. YES :)
    That's crazy, I picked up a four short ribs yesterday as they were 50% off.. will do the same. I have always wanted to make a silky polenta as I had it once in a fancy restaurant. Todd English has a couple of recipes in the Figs Table cookbook I always wanted to try. One uses about a cup of grated cheddar or fontina and a bunch of chopped spinach, while the other a cooked and mashed sweet potato.. They both sound good. I'd like to do one with mushrooms maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mushrooms and a dry aged cheese sounds about right. I think polenta is to mushrooms and cheese as scrambled eggs are to truffles.
    Just did a test run using stone ground corn meal and it's right on the money: 4 1/2 cups water : 1 cup of corn meal + salt and cracked pepper and butter to finish. I don't think there is magic to it. From a rolling boil very slowly add the corn meal while whisking. Once all is incorporated reduce to a simmer and stir with a flat wooden spoon. Finish with cheese and butter. I put about 1/2 a cup on a saucer and it setup in 10 mins. and reheats perfectly. No brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds great, and I have to try it now. The poletnta I had was almost like a wiggly slice of tofu.. was very delicate. This was about 26 years ago. I was in high school and it made such an impression on me, served with a primo steak with a wine reduction sauce of some sort. one of the best meals I ever had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here at Casa JoB I just made the 2nd batch of Buffalo Wing caramel popcorn in the past 20 hours. We ate the first one, this batch will hopefully last until our departure to our friends' house.

Recipe is linked below, I cut the Frank's in half and it is pretty digestible for all ages.

Buffalo Wing Popcorn Recipe - Bon Appétit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made a round of wings/legs via this Alton Brown method. On short notice grabbed a crappy frozen bag of wings/legs from the grocery store, garbage meat, but they turned out awesome via the Alton method.
    Greg Ames
    *Hack-Ista*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast