User Tag List

Thread: Head Tube Cutter Centering Cone Query

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Head Tube Cutter Centering Cone Query

I am approaching the point of cutting the HT ends on my two frames. I bought a Cobra 1 1/8" reamer/facer cutter to fit my ages old Campy handle, which it does nicely. Today I set up the tool in one frame and realized that I don't have the OC (1 1/8") centering cone, the old Campy one being for a 1" standard is of course too sloppy a fit. So I came up with a work around pictures here using three 2.5mm allen wrenches as shims. In fitting it all together it is more solid and stable then one might expect. But I haven't yet run the cutter.

I contacted Peter at Ceeway (where I got the Cobra 1 1/8" cutter head from) about his supplying a OS cone which fits the Campy handles.

Questions are what do you think of my possible work around and what cone do you use on Campy handles for 1/1/8" head tubes (36mm OD).

I try to be patient but you know how it goes when you want to move forward. Andy.IMG_0877.jpg
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Head Tube Cutter Centering Cone Query

The last time I ordered from Ceeway my parts arrived in three days, hopefully Peter has the right cone for you and it will be worth the wait. If you or someone close to you has any size lathe an adaptor cone can be turned out quickly and easily if needed sooner. If you were closer I would knock it out for you, or better yet just borrow my reamer/facer!
    NATE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nate- Thank you for your offer. I have access to a Park HTR-1B locally already but I do like to be self sufficient and will want to be able to do this machining in the future too. I guess I wanted someone to say "That's a smart idea but this is what I do" Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy - it's a smart idea, but not pro. You get one shot to show a head tube interior who's boss. Take that one shot correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I heard back from peter and Ceeway won't be able to supply the needed cone. So on to plane C which is to contact a machinist I know. Plan B remains in the wings just in case. As I won't be painting these frames for a while I do have time, just need to exhibit some patience. "Step away from that tool!" Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it comes down to it I have the cone you need. I am happy to send it to you and you use it and send it back. It is not for sale and I usually do not lend tools out but I actually do not use the part so I am willing to change the rules. I am sure you understand with your years in the business. Too many tools never came back or came back in a different state.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew- Thank you for your offer. I've already contacted Alex Meade (who has made some of my other tooling, nice and not expensive) and he has expressed interest in making a cone. Late last night I took apart my hex wrenched shims and measured the Campy tools then drew up a sketch for Alex to ponder over. So I'm track standing for now.

I do know what you say about tools. I have a few still out myself, including one that's only about a mile from my house, which is along his weekly trip to the JCC! I saw him at the grocer (Wegmans, the best big store there is) a couple of weeks ago and he mentioned dropping the tool off... still waiting. But this is why you have more then one tool.

If Alex takes too long I'll contact you but I'll wait a while and see. Andy.
    Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 02-05-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    (Wegmans, the best big store there is)
    No need to explain. R.I.T. graduate here. No other store even comes close.
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0905.jpgIMG_0906.jpgSo here's the closing of the loop on this thread. I received the 1 1/8" spec cone a couple of days ago from Alex Meade. Test fitted it yesterday and decided to snug up the ID fit to the Campy tool's pilot shaft with a .003" brass shim. With this shim the fit is even nicer then the Campy 1" OE cone's. Today I cut one of the two frame's headtubes with the new set up.

The cone worked like it should. Unfortunately the Cobra cutter head cut ever so slightly over sized. The headset cup slides into the HT with only finger pressure. But there's no slop and I do have LockTite...

I thank all for their on and off forum offers for loaners and or making me a cone. We have a really neat community here.

Finally I'd like to crow about Alex Meade. He's made some of my tooling before. Each time we communicated easily and quickly and the finished tool was done as I expected in a short turn around amount of time. The cone was no different. I sent him a sketch with dimensions, we conferred about the design a couple of times and he turned it out then shipped it ASAP. If any here ever have need for those funky bits that aren't made by the "big" guys do consider asking him. Here's his email if anyone is interested alexdmeade@gmail.com

Attached are two shots of the cone and it in the heat of battle. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%