Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a mattress online?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Buying a mattress online?

My wife and I need to buy another queen mattress that will primarily be in the guest bedroom. Going to a mattress store and trying them out sounds horrible.

Has anyone gone the online route through places like Tuft & Needle, Casper, etcetera? If so, any tips, suggestions, cautions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buying a mattress online?

Subscribed.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just had a Tuft & Needle delivered today.

I like a firm mattress, we've slept on a 5" foam on a solid deck for many years but it's worn out. By most accounts, the T&N was rated as 7/10, or the firmest of the mail-order mattresses. I'm a little worried that it'll be firm enough for my taste. I guess time will tell.

Be sure to order from the manufacturer directly, not Amazon, if you want the 100 day trial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have had 4 Keetsa Pillow Plus mattresses (we moved a bunch and didn't take them with us... It's complicated). I can't recommend them enough if you like a soft mattress. They are ridiculously heavy.

We also have a Casper. Firmer. Way lighter. Still very comfortable. I sleep on a Casper most nights as my kid usually beats me to the Keetsa. If you move a lot - go Casper.

Both great, problem free shipping. Maybe Casper gets the edge here. Less packaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My system is - if goes on your head/face or you're going to use it for >5 hours/day in perpetuity, it's worth taking your time and not cutting corners. This includes:

-haircut
    -lotion
    -shoes
    -sport coats/suits
    -mattresses

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ordered a mattress kit from mattresses.net and am super happy with it. All natural latex foam. 6" firm + 3" medium + 3" soft, a bamboo fabric case. No more backaches, neckaches or headaches. It was crazy expensive, but Glorious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have been sleeping on a Casper for a year. Very satisfied. Comfortable to sleep on, so far holding up perfectly well. Most importantly, my companion thinks it is the best thing I have gotten for her in a long while.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll buy just about anything online if I dont have a go-to store locally, but a mattress is such an important quality of life decision that I can't imagine clicking my mouse to get one. There is such a wide range of quality and feel that for me, I gotta at least sit on the damned thing first.
    Seems like such a pain in the ass to have a delvery guy set up a mattress that you;ve already paid for only to find out that you dont like it at all and have to send it back. If you do buy online, make sure you're well aware of the trial/return terms of the agreement.

I went through the process of buying a mattress a few months ago and came to the conclusion that mattress stores suck ass. The mattress department of sears, boscovs, etc. are even worse. Any chain store I walked into had my skin crawling in less than 60 seconds. I got lucky and found a local, non-chain shop that isnt sleazy and I feel like they didnt dick me around much - Even there, though, it still feels wierd to shop for a mattress and it's tough to get a feel for the thing when you're "sampling" it on the shop floor.

That said, this is your guest bedroom... just pull the trigger. You dont want it too comfortable anyway or else your guests might overstay their welcome. If this is where you sleep when you're in the dog house... it might warrant some additional consideration.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We ordered a Sonno Prima Firm mattress from Design Within Reach. Great mattress. Ships rolled up in a giant tube. Take it out and it expands over the course of about an hour to actual thickness etc. I've never slept on a mattress that breathed as well as this one does. It is a single sided mattress, so while we rotate it head to toe occasionally, it doesn't require flipping. Also the mattress is for platform beds w/o box spring. Just the mattress. We now have two of them - the original one for our room and a newer one for the guest room - the original is probably about 10 years old and still just fine, though each sleeping area does soften a tad versus the rest of the mattress, but not in a bad way. Other than a guest spilling a glass of wine on the one in the guest room (we had a midnight sipper) the newer one seemed improved slightly over the original - firmer I think.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm glad to hear lots of you have been satisfied with the online process. Time for me to get serious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by big shanty View Post
    My system is - if goes on your head/face or you're going to use it for >5 hours/day in perpetuity, it's worth taking your time and not cutting corners. This includes:

-haircut
    -lotion
    -shoes
    -sport coats/suits
    -mattresses
    Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'll buy just about anything online if I dont have a go-to store locally, but a mattress is such an important quality of life decision that I can't imagine clicking my mouse to get one. There is such a wide range of quality and feel that for me, I gotta at least sit on the damned thing first.
    Seems like such a pain in the ass to have a delvery guy set up a mattress that you;ve already paid for only to find out that you dont like it at all and have to send it back. If you do buy online, make sure you're well aware of the trial/return terms of the agreement.

I went through the process of buying a mattress a few months ago and came to the conclusion that mattress stores suck ass. The mattress department of sears, boscovs, etc. are even worse. Any chain store I walked into had my skin crawling in less than 60 seconds. I got lucky and found a local, non-chain shop that isnt sleazy and I feel like they didnt dick me around much - Even there, though, it still feels wierd to shop for a mattress and it's tough to get a feel for the thing when you're "sampling" it on the shop floor.

That said, this is your guest bedroom... just pull the trigger. You dont want it too comfortable anyway or else your guests might overstay their welcome. If this is where you sleep when you're in the dog house... it might warrant some additional consideration.
    What these guys said. I wish I could figure out what it is about mattresses that attracts charlatans.

We just bought ourselves a new mattress from a local company, Gardner Mattress, that has a few local showrooms. We spent some time lying around the showroom deciding which one we wanted. Then they made it for us and delivered it. The other places we visited felt like stereotypical used car dealerships. Branding, model names, features... They differ from store to store. They sucked.

Our 7-year old bed went in the guestroom.

So maybe there's some similar option in your area?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to a mattress, it is near impossible to use one for less than a week, at least to know for sure if it will work for you. My wife and I have struggled to find an acceptable queen mattress for our master bedroom that doesn't cost $3k+

Our last two have been from costco.com. The first one was good for ~6 months. We returned it (they picked it up actually) no questions asked and are now happily on a different, firmer one. All based on on-line reviews. Costco has the no-questions asked return policy and this can be years later. Very few brick and mortar mattress shops and probably very few on-line ones will easily accept a mattress return if you're not satisfied after 6 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    primarily be in the guest bedroom.
    you have already put more thought into this than wifey and i did.

subscribed.
    -Dustin

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for Casper. Very happy with comfort, value, durability, ease of purchase. A no-brainer atmo. A company that gets it and simplifies this type of tiresome consumer chore.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a new mattress, too but I plan to at least give Slumberland a try. They are putting so much money into the American Birkebeiner and Jesse Diggins (elite Nordic skier and World Cup winner from MN) that I feel compelled to at least give them a try. Gotta help the sponsors, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree about the mattress chains. I've often wondered why that particular business is so rife with cheesiness and dishonesty, reminds me of used car dealers.

Anyway 10 years ago my wife and I slept on a great mattress at a Marriott Hotel over 2 nights, and when we peeked under the sheet to see what type of mattress it was, it said 'Jamison'. So we searched and ended up buying one from a nice furniture store in the town we were living in at the time - the only place that carried the brand in fact, and we've never regretted it. It cost a little over $2k but has provided us with really great sleep over all those years, so well worth it. Very heavy mattress btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Procrastinated on this, but I finally bought a bed last week, and it's time to order a mattress.

Any more thoughts? I can't go with a local manufacturer, since this is for my place in the sticks of upstate New York. It's either mail order or the little mattress shop in town.

We're both side sleepers, and like our current Simmons pillowtop. I'm tempted by the Keetsa, but a bit leery of their limited return policy. I can't wait long enough to make it to NYC to visit the showroom.

I'm thinking of just ordering a Casper with a topper and giving it a try. Worst case, I send it back.

Thinking aloud here, and still open to suggestions.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted above, but so happy with Casper (king, going on three months) that I'll say it again. Plus there's the return policy as you noted, so nothing to lose. Good product and good company to deal with.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 months on and I'm still super happy with the kit from Arizona Premium Mattresses. It's expensive and heavy as hell (240lb of latex for a 12" thick mattress) but zero outgassing and if I want to soften it or harden it in a year, I just replace the top 3" layer.

The one online mattress that still piques my interest is the Purple, if only because of the super-soft top layer and the good internet ad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    The one online mattress that still piques my interest is the Purple, if only because of the super-soft top layer and the good internet ad.
    I'm slow, but I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Purple. Looking forward to giving it a try, and glad they have a 100 night return policy, just in case.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast