Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Buying a mattress online?

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I'm curious to hear how you like the Purple
    It showed up yesterday afternoon. Curb weight was 111 pounds.

It probably took 15 minutes to get it unrolled and unpacked. The packaging was functionally just fine, but there's a ton of it, and I'm not sure how much is recyclable. The outer vinyl cover definitely isn't, but the inner plastic wrap might be. In an ideal world, it would be nice if they could figure out a way to use less packaging, or at least less plastic.

The mattress filled out pretty much instantly into the shape of a mattress, although I think it got firmer for about two hours.

I had just assumed that a packable mattress would be made in China, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a tag on the mattress that said, "Made in Alpine, Utah, October 13, 2016." They don't make a big deal of being made in America, but it's nice that they are.

I slept on it last night, and I was really impressed. The best way I can describe it is a more supportive version of a pillowtop. If, for example, I lay on it on my back, I feel even support from my tailbone, through my low back, and up through my shoulders. There isn't a graduated pressure on the areas sinking further down. Everywhere seems very even. It's also not bottomless squish. There's solid support underneath the top layer that makes it feel very solid. So far, so good.

My initial impression is that it's as comfortable of a mattress as I've ever slept on. My wife will be here later this week to give it a try and see what she thinks. I expect we'll end up keeping it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the futon I've been using the last few years is dying (I've been waking up with mild back pain) so I've been debating whether I should replace it with another futon or go with one of the newer, higher-tech options. The main reason I've been avoiding the "memory foam" types is that they have a reputation for being hot, and being the cheapskate / energy conservation hawk that I am, I don't want to have to compensate with a lower A/C setting.

Anyone care to recommend a good mattress that's also cool in the summer?

(no way, I'm going to spend more than $750 for a mattress - the last futon I bought was less than $200 and it's lasted about 5 years, so the worst case scenario is that I just buy another one of those)

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Purple gets a rave review for being a cool-sleeping mattress:

Purple Mattress Review | Sleepopolis

so if you can stretch your budget a bit more, it might be pretty great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    The Purple gets a rave review for being a cool-sleeping mattress:

Purple Mattress Review | Sleepopolis

so if you can stretch your budget a bit more, it might be pretty great.
    Bummer - they only come in Twin XL, Queen, and King.

All my bedding is Full.

No Purple for me. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very heat sensitive and our Tuft & Needle has been fantastic. I think it does a good job of drawing heat away from the body, but my only context is traditional sealy-type mattresses and a cheap ikea foam/futon. I still sleep with the ceiling fan on low during the hottest months.

The $500 price is an excellent value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a Nest Alexander in Medium. I've had it for about a year - I started with the firm but it was way too firm so they mailed me the medium even though it was my own fault for getting the firm. Great customer service, great mattress. It was $1200 for a queen, but there are a lot of coupons online for $100 off.

If I were feeling a little more flush in the future I'd get a natural latex foam mattress, that's what all these online mattress upstarts are trying to replicate (but at a lower price) anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I have been on a foam mattress for about 10 years and need to replace it so the Purple looks interesting. I will say we both agree that after going to a foam mattress we would never go back to a traditional style. It is firm, contours to each person's body, and limits motion so that if one person is not sleeping well it does not shake the whole mattress and keep the other person awake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bumping this one to the top. Only lost a big tree to Hurricane Ida but need a new mattress in the aftermath (long story). Anyway, we've never tried the foam jobs and are curious but traditional works too. 2 average sized side-sleeping adults who prefer firm. What's out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought on of the purple pillows a few weeks ago and I'm blown away by how much I like it. Good support without being harsh and doesn't fold around on me trying to smother my face.

Boy it's heavy though - I can't imagine a whole mattress made of the stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought a Sonno MGV mattress from Design Within Reach. This one has a cover that unzips so you can flip half of the mattress over to expose a softer side. Our mattress in the city is a firm DWR Sonno M mattress - or just plain Sonno mattress when we bought it - and it is just too hard for me. Almost brutally firm. My wife loves it but she accepts the MGV as firm enough with her side flipped firm side up.

I don't recommend their synthetic fill pillows. Well made but they lose their volume way too quickly. Down version is 100% better.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A rental house had a mattress from LinenSpa and we both thought it was very comfortable. No idea how it compares to purple or casper or others. The price is right for a guest bedroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    bumping this one to the top. Only lost a big tree to Hurricane Ida but need a new mattress in the aftermath (long story). Anyway, we've never tried the foam jobs and are curious but traditional works too. 2 average sized side-sleeping adults who prefer firm. What's out there?
    This might be coming way too late (just seeing your post now), but 5+ years later we're still sleeping on the Purple that started this thread every night. We were happy enough with it to move it from the guest room into our room.

However, I wouldn't describe the Purple as firm. Caspers tend to be described that way, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'll buy just about anything online if I dont have a go-to store locally, but a mattress is such an important quality of life decision that I can't imagine clicking my mouse to get one.
    Conversely, the missus and I went mattress shopping in person a couple weeks ago, and after a day of Trying Them Out [sic] in the stores I think we were no closer to making a decision than if we'd just read a description on a website somewhere and said "I dunno, this one sounds like it might be just right...maybe?"

I mean, yes, it's easy enough to weed out the outliers from a quick test -- this one's way too soft, this one's way too firm -- but once you start narrowing it down, they all feel a bit undifferentiated, and unless you're going to take a legit catnap in the store, you can't really tell much about how you'll feel after a full night's sleep...or even whether you'll be able to get a full night's sleep.

btw, we wound up ordering a very nice mattress from Brooklyn Bedding. Which of course was out of stock, so they gave us a temporary loaner from the models that were in stock. The loaner was a model that sold for less than half the price of the one we ordered. After one night sleeping on this cheap(er) loaner, my wife says "Why didn't we like this one in the store?"

It's a crapshoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've had a Brentwood Cypress (https://www.brentwoodhome.com/produc...-foam-mattress) for 14+ months and it is the best mattress I've owned - better than the last latex one we had bought locally that was almost 3X the cost. Neither wifey nor I have a lot of personal padding and we both sleep very well on it with no pressure points or other issues.

I will warn that they are an absolute nightmare to move. Even with a special tarp-type bag with straps it took a few years off my back getting this thing downstairs, into a truck, and out and up to our new upstairs bedroom.. I won't be doing that again.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just back from window shopping and rolling around at the Naturepedic Organic Mattress store. Their no coil spring job has three separate latex pads you can mix and match for the feel ye desire. Using only firm/firm/firm the mattress is just too soft.

Hard pass.

Oh....King size is $5K For that I want soft whispers in my ear and walk the dog three times a day ;)

Where can I get a pure latex mattress? I slept on that growing up, it seemed ideal or maybe childhood traumas are masking the reality?????
    Last edited by Too Tall; 01-15-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Just back from window shopping and rolling around at the Naturepedic Organic Mattress store. Their no coil spring job has three separate latex pads you can mix and match for the feel ye desire. Using only firm/firm/firm the mattress is just too soft.

Hard pass.

Oh....King size is $5K For that I want soft whispers in my ear and walk the dog three times a day ;)

Where can I get a pure latex mattress? I slept on that growing up, it seemed ideal or maybe childhood traumas are masking the reality?????
    Toots-

I was amazed when a friend of mine suggested to me what I am about to say to you…one word….Ikea.

They do have a mattress which is foam it is some weirdass name that starts with an M like in More something or other. But we ended up (and then replaced mattresses in the too many places we rest our heads) with something with springs from them which was something called Haugsvar because it seemed firmer to us…don’t know if they really are but it was also not even a thou and it is pretty firm and has lasted for many years.

Of course, if my wife stood on my shoulders we would probably be smaller than you not counting the addition of Queen so I am not sure of the physics, but you might want to check the Ikea out.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Toots-

I was amazed when a friend of mine suggested to me what I am about to say to you…one word….Ikea.

They do have a mattress which is foam it is some weirdass name that starts with an M like in More something or other. But we ended up (and then replaced mattresses in the too many places we rest our heads) with something with springs from them which was something called Haugsvar because it seemed firmer to us…don’t know if they really are but it was also not even a thou and it is pretty firm and has lasted for many years.

Of course, if my wife stood on my shoulders we would probably be smaller than you not counting the addition of Queen so I am not sure of the physics, but you might want to check the Ikea out.
    ABSOLUTELY. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to push a bit.

Found there is a latent D.Y.I. ethos "out there" to create your own version of a latex mattress https://diymattress.com/ This sources seems to use all the right stuff.

For similar coin there is also https://www.turmerry.com/products/na...40458896539757 Tumerry has a good reputation...according to the interwebs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rivendell/Wabi Woolens of the Mattressverse.

Latex or Latex\Wool

https://www.holylamborganics.com/col...nic-mattresses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast