Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

0) Recovered fully from rib breakage

1) Completed MLSS test to define zones

2) Riding 4-5 times a week (one interval day and one sweet spot day). Outside to Mtn bike when weather and trail conditions permit

3) Lifting 4 times week. 2x Upper and 2x lower

4) Core 5-7 times per week

My selected 2019 events come June-July-August and will be 40km TT's. This time of year is about gym work and getting ready for a build cycle which will come April/May. TR Sustained Power Build is a nice program. I did the mid-volume version last year but as a 2:1 not the 3:1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Can you expand upon this?
    In the various editions of Jack Daniels' Running Formula he lays out that an 800-1500m runner needs 1) a strong aerobic and strength base; 2) strong VO2 power; 3) speed and lactate tolerance.

I think that this profile meets the demands of most Master's races, given that they tend to be two hours or less, and the make-or-break moments are 1-4min eye-bleeders.

For an 800-1500m runner, Daniels recommends:

Phase 1: endurance runs every day (60-80% of max HR -- I'm a big fan of staying on the safe side and keeping it under 75%), three weight training sessions a week.

Phase 2: two "repetition" days each week. For 800-1500, Daniels has sets of 200m repeats at just above mile pace. For a cyclist, this would be ~30 seconds of low power zone 6, with 30-45 second recoveries. Given the non-weight bearing nature of cycling, the 6-8 repeats that Daniels has a runner doing could be bumped up to 1-2 sets of :30-:30s. Everything else easy endurance, and a couple of weight training days.

Phase 3: VO2 reps. Daniels calls this "Interval pace" and has sets of 400s or 800s. A cyclist would do the usual 4 x 4, or sets of Ronnestad :30-:15s, or do similar work/rest bouts as a runner or swimmer (like 8 x 2:00 on, :30 off with the "on" parts in power zone 5). 1-2 days of that each week, and everything else easy. One-two weight training sessions each week.

Phase 4: One day, maybe two of 1-2 minute speed work. 1-2 weight sessions each week. Everything else easy.

Essentially, it's training to have leg speed and 1-5min power. FTP can take a break. Since FTP is my big strength, I'm gong to focus a bit more on shorter durations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post

Phase 1: endurance runs every day (60-80% of max HR -- I'm a big fan of staying on the safe side and keeping it under 75%), three weight training sessions a week.

Phase 2: two "repetition" days each week. For 800-1500, Daniels has sets of 200m repeats at just above mile pace. For a cyclist, this would be ~30 seconds of low power zone 6, with 30-45 second recoveries. Given the non-weight bearing nature of cycling, the 6-8 repeats that Daniels has a runner doing could be bumped up to 1-2 sets of :30-:30s. Everything else easy endurance, and a couple of weight training days.

Phase 3: VO2 reps. Daniels calls this "Interval pace" and has sets of 400s or 800s. A cyclist would do the usual 4 x 4, or sets of Ronnestad :30-:15s, or do similar work/rest bouts as a runner or swimmer (like 8 x 2:00 on, :30 off with the "on" parts in power zone 5). 1-2 days of that each week, and everything else easy. One-two weight training sessions each week.

Phase 4: One day, maybe two of 1-2 minute speed work. 1-2 weight sessions each week. Everything else easy.
    How long is each phase?
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4-6 weeks - though the base phase 1 could be 8. Same as most any other periodized model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd FTP test. 9% gain over 5 weeks. Had nothing left in the tank when I was done. Tried to do another 30 minutes sub threshold and I just couldn't.

I'm at 3.25w/kg. Aiming for a solid 4w/kg by May.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst