Thread: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

power cleans

still getting the form down -- I'm still just a hair late in getting under the bar as my wrists rotate up, and still working on the wrist strength/mobility to get the elbows up on the finish.

but, these suckers work the whole chain -- great for out-of-the-saddle stability.

do get someone to teach you the technique and work on it -- complex lift, and lots of ways to hurt yourself if you go too heavy or if you're form has problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    power cleans

still getting the form down -- I'm still just a hair late in getting under the bar as my wrists rotate up, and still working on the wrist strength/mobility to get the elbows up on the finish.

but, these suckers work the whole chain -- great for out-of-the-saddle stability.

do get someone to teach you the technique and work on it -- complex lift, and lots of ways to hurt yourself if you go too heavy or if you're form has problems
    Timely since I finally got my ass back in the gym this morning and I did these with very little weight. One of my favorite exercises and a way to knock out a full workout quickly. I'll be sore tomorrow, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They send a comment on the workout which shows up on the ride file.

Login to TR, Go to your "career" ride page, scroll down to the bottom and there is an area for comments.

Also received an email telling me I had a new comment (and a copy of the comment)

Rough estimate -- about 78-80% of the last level fully completed. Use the lower bound if didn't get very far into the next level and the upper bound if you almost made it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I got their message. +14 watts. We'll see how today's workout feels.

P.S. Power cleans look like a great new way to hurt myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also a fan of the one armed dumbbell snatch as a way to safely (use light weight) get the hang of explosively moving weight from below you to above you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for cleans:

I've spent the last four years doing romanian dead lifts and dead lifts -- you need a good grounding in those to get the first pull right in the clean.

there are a few drills you can do -- with just the bar -- to learn the second pull, and how to drop under the bar as it reaches chest level.

also, practicing with a broomstick, or the bar -- slowly -- is a must for a cyclist, before putting any weight on the bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back at the gym after some forced time off. Trying to learn how to move more explosively with a bar over my chest.

bench:
    45lbs x15
    65lbs x10
    95lbs x6
    135lbs (5x3 w/2min rest)
    145lbs (1x3)

Interestingly, the travel speed @ 45lbs + 65lbs was about the same. Travel speed above 65lbs was significantly slower but didn't really get worse as things went heavier.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hour at 96% straight into 30min @ 90%.

may need to up FTP.

32.4 mi Ride Activity on February 6, 218 by Robert K. on Strava

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I'm also a fan of the one armed dumbbell snatch as a way to safely (use light weight) get the hang of explosively moving weight from below you to above you.
    Kettlebell is an excellent alternative as well. Seems more natural to me than a dumbbell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VO - Tuesday

9 x 2 min with an aggressive 10min warm-up.

TR workout "Mills" for those of you using that tool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own a few dumbells and watched a few videos so the one armed dumbbell snatch is on the list for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Kettlebell is an excellent alternative as well. Seems more natural to me than a dumbbell.
    For swinging movements, I would agree. It may be personal preference, but I feel like a dumbbell is easier to "get under" at the top of the lift.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloody Battle Ropes!
    10 sec/10 sec 2 hand slam for 2 minutes
    60 sec rest
    10 sec/10 sec alternating for 1 minute
    60 sec rest
    10 sec/10 sec 2 hand slam for 2 minutes
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 minute FTP builders. Basically start with a long warm-up with some progressive ramp ups and then hell unleashed.

10 minute intervals with 45 seconds of 90-105% FTP with 15 seconds of progressive jumps to 120-140% FTP and back down... so you're recovering at 95-105% FTP... ugh. Planned to do 3 x 10 minutes but legs were blowing up and managed only 2 x 10 minutes this morning.... indeed a few short periods of rest was needed to allow legs to go from dead to just suffering before hitting it again.

More work needed to get this dead carcass in shape for hard 60-80 mile gravel rides in April/May and my first goal event of 62 miles (100km) with 8000 ft of climbing in early June.

FTP workout.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I reading that graph correctly to show that you're not pedaling during the rest periods? It looks like the rpm drops to zero. It seems counterintuitive but I wonder if you might do better to pedal at nearly zero resistance during that period to help flush the legs. A while back I did some lactate tests during intervals (before and after) and saw that my lactate accumulation dropped quite a bit if I spun at 50w (FTP 325) for the 5min between intervals as opposed to stopping entirely after each one.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Am I reading that graph correctly to show that you're not pedaling during the rest periods? It looks like the rpm drops to zero. It seems counterintuitive but I wonder if you might do better to pedal at nearly zero resistance during that period to help flush the legs. A while back I did some lactate tests during intervals (before and after) and saw that my lactate accumulation dropped quite a bit if I spun at 50w (FTP 325) for the 5min between intervals as opposed to stopping entirely after each one.
    During some of the "rest" intervals, the answer is yes. The workout plan asked you to maintain a 90+RPM cadence at the 95% FTP "Recovery interval" such that recovery i both short but at a high level of intensity. The Level 1 cycling coach running the program told us this is to train VO2 max as much as anything. My legs were blowing up so I either stopped pedaling/focused on breathing to try and get my HR back or pedaled backwards as the intensity from the trainer was fixed at the prescribed level.

I did an FTP test more than a month ago, but have been inconsistent with workouts over the past month with work travel and family commitments. Your suggestion is a good one, but the bottom line is that I think I need to dial down my FTP for the next crack at this because the intensity was just too much to handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Switched up legs day on the recommendation of a trainer. Basically he said that I'm the most consistent person he's seen and I need to start altering my routine to help with gains.

So today:
    Goblet squats
    single leg press
    dual leg press
    squats light + lots
    bosu penny pick-ups
    bosu balancing 2x3min

My legs are tired but I just can't tell how tired they are. I'm sure I'll find out shortly.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been very quiet here in WOD land...

Just completed the first two weeks of "build". Later than normal as decided rather than focusing on an entire season of time trial cup (April through August) I'd pick a few races I truly enjoy and go for PRs. Those races come in July and August. Am following a 2:1 format with two hard weeks followed by an ER week and planning 4 cycles.

Continuing with strength training and worked up a three day program that nests nicely with the hard/easy days during build.

If I were fully focused on just bike racing would do less strength work but as I get older am more interested in being healthy strong and will sacrifice a few seconds on the bike.

Very much looking forward to slightly warmer temps and getting outside more and off the rollers.

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1.25 hrs on the trainer at "endurance" pace

2X50 bodyweight squats
    3X20 archer squats (side lunges)
    3X10 pistol squats
    4X1 handstand pushups
    banded hamstring stretches, wall stretches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pistol squats were supposed to be my goal for the winter. I just wanted to be able to do one good one per side. But I just haven't gotten my knees to that place yet and I spent more time rowing than working on the pistols.