Thread: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VelocipedeSalon WOD: Workout of the day

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Interesting that you've been prescribed sets of 3, 2 and 1 reps. Makes sense along the lines of if you want to lift heavier. How many times per week and what weights did your guy suggest?
    First step is to drop down in weight b/c at my current weight I'm lifting too slow. So I'll drop back to 135 and learn to lift explosively. Generally, folks like to do a heavy day and a volume day for maximum mass + strength gains (or something). I actually don't want to add more mass than necessary so I'm going to try to take my queues from sprint training -- I'll start with 2x week (Tues/Fri) for the first 6 weeks and then see if my body can handle 3x.

Really, it's all an experiment.
    I have my lifts journaled from July and from previous years so maybe I'll be able to get an idea of if things are heading in the right direction by week 8 or 10.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tnx for the details. I've been doing the faster / explosive lifting on lighter weight days. Focusing on good form but pushing hard and quick. Added pin presses for a bit some months ago along with more triceps and rows. Trying to not just focus on benching but very much want to get from a 185 1RM to over 200. Have a friend who is a lifter and coach. Might connect with him and see if my form is good, etc etc.

Post the progress - you'll get there in good time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately I'm off to Asia for a last minute QC visit. Not a time set-back but I was excited to start at the gym next week (and that puts me another week behind in my bike regiment).

C'est la vie. I'll report back.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    FWIW - While lots of folks are getting into Zwift and the social aspects of that are very cool, I've become hooked on the Trainer Road interface. Not using their plans as I build my own. But I do like their workouts and the workout builder. Nice toolset and more fun / engaging than just setting up an interval timer.
    I agree about TR but I'm on a smart trainer. No slacking when it controls everything.

I got a rowing machine this year and have been working up my time. It kills my glutes. I have to get that worked out before I can start going with any intensity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<Rowing Machine> Each year I think to use our Concept 2 more. Then the time goes to bikes, weight lifting and work and another season flys on by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5000 meter moderate row, 40 minutes on Trainer Road. Maybe some weights later. Being not-sick is way better than sick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lunges, body weight squats + push ups in my hotel room. I really wish the hotel's fitness facility was open at 3am cuz that's what time I'm waking up while in China.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll throw this one on the pile.

My races start in three weeks, but due to my dog bite infection I'm still catching up on Base training. So, this one is sweet spot with some zone 5 surges. Still what Lydiard would have called "best aerobic pace" to develop FTP and lactate clearance -- without going too hard -- but with a few stinging bits to simulate the accelerations that will happen in a road race.

It's 3 x 20:

#1 : ride steady at 90-91%. This is the "race" starting off at a high tempo.

#2: Do 10 minutes worth of 1-3 min surges at 106% of your FTP or higher. Ride the 85-90% of FTP in between. This is the "race" starting to get lively, but nothing truly awful yet.

#3: Do 10 minutes worth of 1-2 min surges at 110-115% of your FTP. Do whatever you can in between, while still hitting the targets on the hard parts. I like to end this 20min section with 4-5 1 min on, 30 seconds off surges. This is the "race" hitting the final selection.

Ride 5 min of high tempo, then cool down.

It's a pretty productive late Base 90min.

Trainer Activity on January 25, 218 by Robert K. on Strava

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a ton of good work right there.

Been doing the same. Usually long SST on Thursdays and Sundays with VO2 work on Tuesdays and some mtn biking on Saturdays. Weight lifting and core added on top of about 500-550 TSS of riding each week.

Long SST for me is either 3x30 or 3x20. About a hundred watts lower than yours :-)

Going into a 9 week "build" program in a couple weeks. Going to try 2:1 microcycle times 3. Two weeks hard, one week easier. In the past have done 3:1s but getting older and thinking the extra recovery of 2:1 could be useful. Depending on how I feel at end of the third microcycle might add a 4th. My targeted races come in July and August this year but we start the TT's March 31st.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the past three weeks I've been taking Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Twice a week are regular Vinyasa and once a week is heated. Thought I was going to actually die today. These people are in seriously good shape. Owning the reality that is we get "stuck" in various ruts, yoga is just another thing I'm doing to stay fresh and uninjured....or dead from heat prostration, whichever comes first ;)

Prior to this I was doing olympic weights and moved on to some "core" challenges (30 day) and now this.

The heavy amts of stretching (lower body) is making my cycling crap but I know it will reap benefits.

Namaste MoFos Namaste

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5000m row, 30 minutes hard on the trainer, some dumbbells, some pull ups. Stretching and rolling before, between, and after.

I got a massage yesterday and had the therapist just work on the right leg mostly the hamstrings. I never doubted massage but I have always either had a serious problem to work on or had both sides worked on. Having just the one leg worked on really made it clear how much it can help. My right leg was feeling noticeably looser on an evening walk and still feels better than the left today. Now I have to figure out how to afford about 10 hours of massage a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    5000m row, 30 minutes hard on the trainer, some dumbbells, some pull ups. Stretching and rolling before, between, and after.

I got a massage yesterday and had the therapist just work on the right leg mostly the hamstrings. I never doubted massage but I have always either had a serious problem to work on or had both sides worked on. Having just the one leg worked on really made it clear how much it can help. My right leg was feeling noticeably looser on an evening walk and still feels better than the left today. Now I have to figure out how to afford about 10 hours of massage a week.
    Do you feel that stretching hamstrings several different ways each day helps stay ontop of it? I'm religious and it keeps me on the level and no real "gain" in flexibility per se.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do you feel that stretching hamstrings several different ways each day helps stay ontop of it? I'm religious and it keeps me on the level and no real "gain" in flexibility per se.
    Definitely. The problem is that I can never actually get ahead of all my issues. I am spending about an hour a day stretching and rolling. Today I did a total of 30 minutes rowing. 10 minutes on and then a few minutes of stretching or rolling. I definitely think that part of my problem is weak glutes and hamstrings. I just have to take it so slow building them up that I never really see gains. Deadlifting for example even after a little warm up just putting 20 pounds on the bar and doing a few sets my hamstrings get really tight. Not sore, tight. I need to get back to physical therapy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been attending a spin class, but led by Cat I USCF coaches using Pro Performance software to run the Saris computerized trainers. A poor man's Computrainer of sorts. It passes the time during the winter and is far more cyclist specific than the spin classes at the Health Clubs.

This morning was a fruit salad entitled muscle recruitment. Basically the first set of intervals (ramps from 85 to 150 FTP and hold for 30 seconds) were to tires you out for the remaining short and long 110% FTP and 95% FTP intervals, respectively. Less than 6 months of regular training after 4+ years of chronic injury and damn, it's coming back... if not slowly.

01282018 workout.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a ramp / MAP test last night instead of my usual 2x 8min test. I expected a bit of a power bump after the last six weeks, but it's still early days and I've still got plenty of time to build.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    For the past three weeks I've been taking Vinyasa Flow Yoga. Twice a week are regular Vinyasa and once a week is heated. Thought I was going to actually die today. These people are in seriously good shape. Owning the reality that is we get "stuck" in various ruts, yoga is just another thing I'm doing to stay fresh and uninjured....or dead from heat prostration, whichever comes first ;)

Prior to this I was doing olympic weights and moved on to some "core" challenges (30 day) and now this.

The heavy amts of stretching (lower body) is making my cycling crap but I know it will reap benefits.

Namaste MoFos Namaste
    few years back I did a Vinyasa class in a hot room and loved how it made me feel. While I was recovering from my fall, the instructor changed the classes and introduced kettlebells to the class, I went once and never went again. Your post reminded me how much overall well-being I gained...I need to find a new place.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hmai18 View Post
    Did a ramp / MAP test last night instead of my usual 2x 8min test. I expected a bit of a power bump after the last six weeks, but it's still early days and I've still got plenty of time to build.
    Was that the new Trainer Road test? I am going to try it today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    Was that the new Trainer Road test? I am going to try it today.
    RAMP-X in the workout list.

You'll finish the test and should get a response from an analyst that calculates your new FTP.

They are using the normal MAP metric so you can always do it yourself if you don't want to wait.

Example: https://zwifthacks.com/app/map-ftp-calculator/

TIP: Try to go as long as possible into the last minute. Even if you don't make all 60 seconds it counts.

I ran this a couple weeks ago and it was spot on. Like it a lot more than 8 min or 20 min. Something about pushing those 60 second levels is more "fun" to my brain.

Am sure you knew all that already :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I did the Ramp-X test a couple hours ago. How do they get in touch? Using TR I do pretty much all custom workouts that are based on 1 minute intervals. Out on the street I'm steady but on the trainer I like the constant change. I'm only on the trainer so I don't backslide too far instead of trying to improve.