User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

I have a problem with the non-iron shirts (Brooks, LL Bean, etc.). They yellow over time, get stiff, wear out faster, and irritate me due to the chemicals they use to make them non-iron. I am going back to the traditional all cotton non-treated shirts that actually need to be ironed. The issue is that nobody seems to make them anymore. Even if I can find any they are only available in a few solid colors. I want stripes, glen plaids, tattersall, and anything more interesting than solids.

Who makes Brooks Brothers quality dress shirts with the following requirements:
    100% Cotton (not the non-iron type)
    Button down
    Slim fit

I no longer need to wear a coat and tie to work so button down shirts are a requirement. I do not like the look of a spread (or other type) collar open with no tie. I do not mind spending the $60-$90 for a quality dress shirt because I keep them forever. Brooks last for several years but they have so few options in the traditional cotton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Thomas Pink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add the difficult part - shirt size:
    17.5 neck (Yes, I have a big neck)
    34 sleeve (Yes, I have short arms for my height)
    Slim Fit (no, I am not as large around the waist as most companies assume if you have a 17.5 neck and 34 sleeves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Thanks but....
    PF - Does not get great reviews for long term durability
    CT - Does not appear to have my size with the other requirements (i.e. button down).

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. PF collars fray with relatively little use-at least in the pinpoint fabrics.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J Press?

The Japanese guy in Manhattan whose name I'm blanking on?

Ben Silver out of Charleston?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Cloth. I have nothing but good to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Seconded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks Brothers does. I have bought them at both 346 and Liberty Plaza.
    Kamakura. 400 Madisonish or Brookfield Place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Seconded.
    I am headed to NYC in March for a family event so I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Brooks Brothers does. I have bought them at both 346 and Liberty Plaza.
    Kamakura. 400 Madisonish or Brookfield Place.
    Unfortunately Brooks only have blue, light blue, white, pink, blue stripe, and red stripe meeting the specifications I mentioned earlier. I have all of them save ecru which is not for me. Occasionally, they do a seasonal special shirt but I need something more interesting than the basics - and so says my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Unfortunately Brooks only have blue, light blue, white, pink, blue stripe, and red stripe meeting the specifications I mentioned earlier.
    Oh got it. I like boring shirts. Sounds like you want Gitman Bros. I have two of them and really like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh got it. I like boring shirts. Sounds like you want Gitman Bros. I have two of them and really like them.
    Until I met my wife, I did not even know that dress shirts came in any colors other than solid white or solid blue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress shirts do not come in any colors other than solid white or blue. Anything else is a sport shirt. (I am a stick in the mud.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dress shirts do not come in any colors other than solid white or blue. Anything else is a sport shirt. (I am a stick in the mud.)
    I agree.

My first "adult" dress shirt was purchased at Brooks Brothers on 44th and Madison. Growing up in NYC it was a big day to walk over with my father, meet the personal shopper (when they still had them), and get my first one. Lunch (of course a hamburger) afterwards at JG Melon on East 73rd near home (not the new/updated JG Melon downtown).

Those were the days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben Silver is way out of his price range. Kamakura is nice and they have a web store. But always seems to be out of stock in our size 17.5. No idea why. But they are a great shirt for the price.

I'd say bite the bullet and go with a Mercer and Son. Just have them size the body down a bit if you like a more tailored appearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently picked up a couple David Donahue shirts at Nordstrom and have been happy with them. The materials have a nice hand to them and the fit and finish seem quite good.
    Chris

Road, CX, Mountain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few Hugh & Crye all cotton non-non-iron dress shirts that I have been happy with. I like the cut and their sizing schema works well for me.

Slim Fit Dress Shirts and Men's Casual Shirts – Hugh & Crye
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    True. PF collars fray with relatively little use-at least in the pinpoint fabrics.
    \

I have several PF shirts that have been durable. I think fraying around the neck would be more of an option if the OP wore a tie -- unbuttoned collar seems unlikely to fray very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast