User Tag List

Thread: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

I have a problem with the non-iron shirts (Brooks, LL Bean, etc.). They yellow over time, get stiff, wear out faster, and irritate me due to the chemicals they use to make them non-iron. I am going back to the traditional all cotton non-treated shirts that actually need to be ironed. The issue is that nobody seems to make them anymore. Even if I can find any they are only available in a few solid colors. I want stripes, glen plaids, tattersall, and anything more interesting than solids.

Who makes Brooks Brothers quality dress shirts with the following requirements:
    100% Cotton (not the non-iron type)
    Button down
    Slim fit

I no longer need to wear a coat and tie to work so button down shirts are a requirement. I do not like the look of a spread (or other type) collar open with no tie. I do not mind spending the $60-$90 for a quality dress shirt because I keep them forever. Brooks last for several years but they have so few options in the traditional cotton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who makes 100% cotton (not non-iron) Brooks Brothers quality button down shirts?

Thomas Pink

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add the difficult part - shirt size:
    17.5 neck (Yes, I have a big neck)
    34 sleeve (Yes, I have short arms for my height)
    Slim Fit (no, I am not as large around the waist as most companies assume if you have a 17.5 neck and 34 sleeves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Thanks but....
    PF - Does not get great reviews for long term durability
    CT - Does not appear to have my size with the other requirements (i.e. button down).

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True. PF collars fray with relatively little use-at least in the pinpoint fabrics.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

J Press?

The Japanese guy in Manhattan whose name I'm blanking on?

Ben Silver out of Charleston?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Cloth. I have nothing but good to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    True. PF collars fray with relatively little use-at least in the pinpoint fabrics.
    \

I have several PF shirts that have been durable. I think fraying around the neck would be more of an option if the OP wore a tie -- unbuttoned collar seems unlikely to fray very quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twillory makes some nice shirts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few higher end dress shirts, of which I like the Thomas Pink ones the best.

Though I like lots of options, so buy two or three decent shirts at the same cost. I like Tommy Hilfiger trim fit for a go to and also, Izod makes damn good shirts for the $20.00 I spent on them and who cares if they don't last ten years, they were twenty bucks.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page Two and no one's dropped a HK tailor yet?

Allow me: Jantzen Tailor Official Website

Send these guys your favorite shirt and they'll send back perfect replicas in whatever materials you specify.

Very reasonable prices.

I used them to reverse engineer a shirt from Louis Boston that I purchased at the old Filene's Basement. Subsequently optimized to my specs. What I got back lasted years of regular weekly use, and has since been cloned and continues to live on.

Bespoke version of a $250 shirt for < $100.

And their button quality - and selection - is uber.

Not to mention: 10 pages of pure cotton options: http://www.jantzentailor.com/purecotton.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brooks just re-released the unfused OCBD again. Nothing in the collars or cuffs, but they are in the same price point as Mercer.
    I visited all the HK tailors over the years. Can't recommend one over the next as most are using the mainland for the bread and butter portion of their business. And the HK bespoke is just as expensive as London, Italy or Japan. The aforementioned do much better softer tailoring and understand drape much better.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a chance and ordered (and received) my first four OCBD shirts from Kamakura and could not be more pleased.