User Tag List

Thread: Clothiers' Sales Tactics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clothiers' Sales Tactics

I've been updating my business wardrobe little by little over the last few months. Last night I went into a national brand men's clothes store (rhymes with Broseph Janks) to get some trousers. We agreed on my size and the salesman went to the shelf and pulled off some samples priced at X. They didn't fit. Then he goes to the hanging-file rack of pants priced at X times 2, and miraculously they fit. They were still within my expected price range so I wasn't too concerned.

Next stop "tailoring." No tailor on site, the salesperson made some chalk marks on the legs. Then the transaction turned into buying a car (not to disparage any car salesmen here). Would I like 3 pairs for only twice as much? Do I need a sport coat or shoes? If I buy enough stuff, I can earn credit toward a gift card. Would I like the pants to have a permanent pleat? I ask "What's a permanent pleat?" They sew a strip of silicone on the inside of the pant legs so the pleats stay in place forever. Extra of course. I think the last question is whether I wanted the floor mats and undercarriage coating, but I stopped paying attention at the pleats question.

When did this become a thing, up-selling features on clothes? Or….did I choose unwisely by going into that chain store?

Don't stores employ tailors anymore? Call me a grump, but are the salespeople qualified to make tailoring measurements?

As I suggested at the top, I haven't been into a menswear shop on a regular basis in quite some time. Just wondering if this is the new standard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Clothiers' Sales Tactics

I haven't been to a men's clothing store (like for suits and stuff) that didn't use those tactics. Seems pretty normal to me. I take it you didn't go for the undercarriage coating? You're missing out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We still have an actual locally owned menswear store. The experience couldn't be more different. Just like a great bike shop, They are knowledgeable about the pros and cons, what's "in" and out, keep track of my preferences, and no pressure. Tailoring is included in every purchase. Frankly, they aren't really any more expensive than the place you went. And, I look and feel better.

I know they won't last forever, but they will get all my business as long as they do. If you have a real local shop, try them out.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went into Signature Cycles looking for chain lube and look what happened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad I wear a uniform to work....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the way of big box retail.
    I just had to call to change a hotel reservation and it felt like I was going to a time-share info session.

Anytime you talk to anyone on the phone you get this treatment.
    Anytime you buy something at a national chain you get this treatment. (big box electronics, home improvements, etc)

Very annoying.

Now I turn my hat around and talk out of the other side of my mouth (a little mixing of metaphors). I have designed and built system/processes/materials for big box companies to do all of this. There is huge money for the big box guys in doing this annoying stuff. Store credit cards, gift cards, bonus programs, membership programs, extended warranties, etc, etc.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joseph A Banks/Men's Warehouse sales people are trained to upsell. A good menswear store will recommend and suggest, after listening to the client, generally for the clients benefit. I can't speak too badly about the Banks chain as they partnered with Lt. Dan, Gary Sinise, to provide suits for Iraq/Afghanistan vets free of charge so they could have job and college interviews appropriately attired. My son took advantage of the offer for his college interviews at Yale and Columbia. He's now a junior at Columbia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't go to Joseph A Banks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, where in LI are you. If convenient, you can check out Joseph and Joseph in Garden City. They are an independent men's store and carry Samuelsohn suits and sport coats. I recommend them.

In the City, I use Brooks at 346 and Martin Greenfield custom, which is run by Jay Walter, who used to run MTM at 346 and then at J.Press. But that's stupid money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the referral Christian. I've walked past that store many times in Garden City and never thought to go in.

I'm not for minute trying to complain about a particular shop. It's just off-putting and not what I expected. We'll see how well the pants fit but I doubt I'll be back. I'm going to file this under "you get the experience you pay for." The last two business items I bought came from Nordstrom and Brooks, and it was nothing but pleasant and professional. A co worker suggested that this other place had similar quality product at lower prices. I can't speak to the quality yet, but the experience was certainly lacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are looking for Banks level quality in suits (nothing wrong with that ... it's the level of quality I wear most days, unless I'm in court or something similar), I would recommend Combatant Gentlemen. CG is an on-line men's designer catering to professionals who don't need Brooks Brothers on a daily basis. I've been very satisfied with the mid-level quality of CG suits. Very convenient. Good customer service. Etc.

Stay away from the "slim" cut unless you like looking like a dressed up hipster.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banks is good if you know exactly what you are looking for, and they frequently run some aggressive sales events. Good place to pick up a nice sweater, etc. for a good price. I try not to deal with the Banks salesfolks for the reasons you outlined above. I work on State St. in Boston and so have Brooks and Banks within 100ft of my building....but the best Brooks deals I've gotten were always at the store in the Pittsburgh airport. Outrageously good sale prices there. See if you can find one of their mall-based stores and watch for sales, as maybe they will be as good as the p-burgh store. Also...and here is where many may scoff....I often find amazing suit deals at...Macys...and not on boring, cost-accountant suits, (apologies to any cost accountants here) but pretty nice stuff...sport jackets as well. I've gotta check out Combatant Gentleman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is a little off of where this thread has gone and is really a grump even though it isn't Thursday...

Thing I hate the most with the sales tactics is when you try on a jacket and it sort of bunches up in the collar between the shoulder blades and the salesman smoothes it out by running his hand down the back and says "it fits perfectly". Bull. I know after all of these years with my weird shoulders/ body that the collar needs to be recut which is a pita for them. If a jacket doesn't lay right when they put it on you it is going to look like crap when you take it off of the hangar and say "honey, what is taking you so long I am ready to go".

I only point it out because it is an expense that I always have to put on top of any price of any sport coat or suit that I buy. But then again, any tailor at the dry cleaner can do it. It just is another 40 or 50 bucks I have to add in on top. Thankfully, I am at a point in life that I don't foresee buying too many more sport coats and suits.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked part time at a Brooks store for about 18 months after college. There were one or two schmucks, but pretty much everyone who worked there was either a college student or a recent grad that didn't care one iota about the $6 they would give you for signing someone up for a damn credit card. I'm sitting here right now recalling it quite fondly - those were some good times.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Bob, where in LI are you. If convenient, you can check out Joseph and Joseph in Garden City. They are an independent men's store and carry Samuelsohn suits and sport coats. I recommend them..
    I finally visited this place today. Very nice selection and attentive owner. I don't think I've been in an independent clothier's shop since I was a kid getting a Sunday suit. It's amazing that little shops like this can exist a mile away from the mega mall with a Nordstrom, Brooks and Macy's. Prices at the little shop better than at the dept stores or Brooks.

Thanks again Christian.