User Tag List

Thread: Please recommend a Shun knife for my sister

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Please recommend a Shun knife for my sister

A while back I gave her a Shun Classic Santoku (5-1/2-Inch - see below) Since I can't think of anything else for her for X-mas beyond the few small items she's specifically requested, I'm thinking of giving her another Shun to go with the first. Any ideas of what would be a good second one? (I'm thinking smaller rather than bigger, if only because like me she's a vegetarian and I'd think that most of the stuff she needs to cut would be veggies.)

If there's no other logical pairing, then tell me - I know next to nothing about cooking, other than how to toss frozen veggies and pasta into the microwave. She's more ambitious than I am in that regard, and would appreciate a good kitchen tool.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Please recommend a Shun knife for my sister

I LOVE my Shun Ultimate Utility knife. Rounded tip for spreading/scraping. Great for soft veggies like tomatoes.
    613qSaEYljL._SL1500_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check your local Costco. Ours had a nice set for what seemed to be a good price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a nakiri knife for veggies. Nice for julienne cutting. You can get a Shun for $100 bucks or so or an off brand for less. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    T.o.m. K.o.h.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's one:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/5692140/?catalogId=92&sku=5692140&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat =Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CJeZ t8uA0MkCFZOCaQodOzEPcQ&kwid=productads-plaid^84645285463-sku^5692140-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^45527542063

EDIT: That link didn't work so you'll need to C&P into your browser. Lo siento, amigo!
    T.o.m. K.o.h.l.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a Shun paring knife and it could be a good option. We cook a LOT of veggies and I use a larger knife pretty often as well.
    We recently added a Takamura Migaki R2 210mm Gyuto and I love it. I'd rate is superior to a Shun and it's lower cost too. Have knives from both of them and love 'em. The knife has really good balance, super feel in the hand, thin and razor sharp, carbon steel blade with stainless over, really low stiction, nimble. Check out the reviews.

Good price for it here: Takamura Migaki R2 Gyuto 210mm
    There's a 150mm petty as well: Takamura Migaki R2 Petty 150mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would get her a gyuto (210mm) or a nakiri

the shun you posted that you originally got her is like a baby santoku, so something different than that.
    petty knives are nice too, i have one that is 150mm and i use it regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three knives make up a basic western set, with the Japanese names being petty (utility/paring), santoku (vegetable/do everything), and gyoto (French chefs knife).

Petty would be a good choice. They are slightly larger than the typical western paring knife, typically being 120 or 150mm. My wife probably uses our 120mm petty more than any other knife.

As mentioned, a nakiri is a specific vegetable knife, and is a westernized version of the usuba, a single bevel vegetable knife. Only very advanced chefs use an usuba, while most (including me) use a yanagiba for all things that usuba would be used for. The santoku would overlap nakiri too much, I think. Another option would be a sujihiki. It is the double bevel (westernized) version of the yanagiba. If they slice meats and fish with any regularity, a fine Japanese slicer would be very appreciated. <<edit for reading comprehension: derp, read right through the part about being a vegetarian, excuse this sentence!>>

A note about that shun: it looks beautiful, and cuts very well, and omg it's a complete bitch to sharpen. It probably doesn't matter, but it's worth a mention because sharp knives are good knives. If a matching set isn't required/desired, as usual, check out japanesechefsknife.com (reliable, ships fast with ems) and knifewear (Canada) for a great selection. If you want someone to talk to on the phone to advise you and sell a knife, call Josh at bernalcultlery.com (my local shop in SF) who has a slightly more limited selection, but will steer you right if you want the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah japanesechefsknife is good, i got a few from them, fast inexpensive shipping.
    one of my favorite is the french pattern gyuto, scroll down about 2/3 on this page, i see they have a bunch of them with the same pattern as mine (french pattern gyuto 210mm, very flat belly) with a bunch of different handles. it's my favorite knife for most everything i do...

SHIKI Limited Edition Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Cutlery,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By a significant margin, my most-used knife is a Shun Ken Onion Chef's knife. I use the 10" model, which is a very big, heavy knife. (I'm compensating for so many things.)

The 8" version would be a nice compliment to a Santoku with a couple of cautions. It's fairly pricey, and it is heavy, and it may not be ideal if she has smaller hands. It will easily take a very fine edge and hold it. I absolutely love the way it fits my hand. I can hack a squash in half and peel an apple with equal ease.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add a bit more re Shun knives from D, he's the "knife guy" in our home.
    They are fine knives with excellent fit and finish. However, one could say they're overpriced, and, at the upper end, cannot compare to the better Japanese knives. That said, we own a couple of Shuns, particularly in the paring sizes (3.5”, 4.5”) and like them. Be aware that Shuns are made with several different core steels. The lower quality ones are VG10, the better ones are SG2 – If you go with another shun, go for a SG2.

Shun is rarely discounted, but a good source can be found on eBay where William Sonoma has a "quiet" outlet store under the name nbobargains. There you will often find single knives and sets on auction that go for a fraction of MSRP. Some have been used/scratched/damaged but the site is always up front in the description. They rarely come with packaging but we have purchased some wonderful Kaji paring knives for $50-75.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info and opinions everyone. My brother and sister in law now have a nice set of Shuns on the way for Xmas and I can go back to hatting winter.