User Tag List

Thread: Non-wool winter socks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Non-wool winter socks

I've finally worn through my three-year-old Smartwool Hunting socks which have carried me through many winter rides - they were incredible comfortable, super warm, not too thick and took care of sweat with all the grace I could ask for. I'm not in the market for a few new pairs of something to get me through the winter but since my last purchase several years ago I've stopped buying wool. So, any recommendations?

To be more specific (slightly), I'm looking for something I can ride in that will keep my feet warm in combination with some shoe-covers down to about 0˚C, with or without a bit of moisture. Non-wool, comfortable, calf-height. Other than that, anything goes.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Non-wool winter socks

Mavic Inferno socks - Synthetic with Copper fibres. Very very warm, apparently.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assos Fuguspeer + whatever breathable cycling sock is next in the rotation. Yes, I'm well aware they are $60 socks.

Warm is a misnomer. Dry with good circulation in an environment that maintains body heat is the objective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defeet Thermeator Sort of like a sweat sock interior, but they seem to work pretty well, especially with Castelli Diluvio booties. I have one pair and resolved to get more but I have some wool socks that need to die first.

Showers Pass Crosspoint Waterproof - The material is slightly weird - sort of like knitted neoprene(?) But they are supposed to be great. $35 so kind of mid-priced if Assos is your high end. I don't have any of these, but I have looked at them in the local outdoor shop.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't laugh... Alpaca socks are great. I prefer this model NEW Fun Outdoor Alpaca Socks . they have a bit more form to them than most alpaca making them last longer.

-Joe