User Tag List

Thread: Did any of you get this email?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Did any of you get this email?

I got an email from the Port of The Dalles' marketing person. They are trying to pitch the place as a potential location for the bicycle biz. Seems like a good play to me. I sent a reply and may go meet with them. More later.

jn

"Thursday"

"The Dalles, Oregon:
    More Play. Better Work. Wheel-ready.

One thing we’ve learned in the Columbia Gorge is that fresh air, sunshine and a little play time can be the perfect solution to jumpstart a work day. And when we’re talking about bicycles, we’re talking world-class play right outside your business door. More and more cyclists are realizing that The Dalles, at the east end of the Columbia River Gorge, has a unique microclimate geared toward cyclists.

Warm marine air keeps early spring temperatures mild, while The Dalles’ location in the rain shadow of Mt. Hood means cycling season starts here when folks in other areas are still sipping cocoa fireside. Even winter weather is generally mild most of the time. For cycle manufacturers, that means more on-the-ground testing time every year. And the choices of terrain and surface are legion: From the rolling wheat country east of The Dalles, along the commuter-ready urban Riverfront Trail, to the picturesque Rowena Loops, and the hard climbing and stunts of Post Canyon in nearby Hood River, The Dalles is at the heart of prime riding territory. We’re also a hub leading to longer cycling excursions north, south, east and west in Oregon and Washington.

With the final link in the Historic Columbia River Highway trail system estimated for completion around 2020 and the emerging national upswing in cycle purchases, we expect even more people to be rolling into The Dalles, helping us build a name synonymous with cycling. Last year alone, bicycle tourism accounted for $21 million

This could be good news for a bike manufacture interested in expanding into prime recreational territory. The Dalles offers state-certified industrial land on the Port of The Dalles Industrial Area and potential retail/maker space in historic Downtown The Dalles. Our affordable utilities featuring renewable power sources help keep machines running and overhead low.

Don’t let our small population and mellow attitude fool you, The Dalles offers plenty of urban amenities — and support and incentives for new and expanding businesses."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Did any of you get this email?

It's really nice there!!

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    It's really nice there!!

- Garro.
    Damn right! Windsurfing and a tremendous long, hot growing season. Melons, anyone? Plus unlike Portland, it is prime mountain bike country.

jn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister lives not far from there - Carson, WA. Did a triathlon there once. Windiest ride I've ever done, full tuck pusging as hard as I could downhill at 17mph. The Dalles is considered high desert. Beautiful area. I could settle there easily.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Damn right! Windsurfing and a tremendous long, hot growing season. Melons, anyone? Plus unlike Portland, it is prime mountain bike country.

jn
    Yes on the wind for sure!

Lots of MTB

Lots of fishing

- Garro
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a nice place to live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was in college I worked in my uncle’s construction company located in the town of Hood River just downriver of The Dalles. At that time Hood River was known as a fruit growing area while eventually it became a playground for wind surfing on the Columbia River – an activity that attracts enthusiasts of other outdoor activities. What impressed me was how different the area around the towns of Hood River and The Dalles were even though they were both on the Columbia River and only 17 miles apart (I’m going by memory on that it could have been more or less). The Dalles seemed hotter and much more desert like while Hood River was cooler, greener and much more agricultural. It was if they were located in completely different parts of the US. If I didn’t have any strings to tie me down and could go anywhere, The Dalles would be an okay choice. Although I liked Hood River a lot more. Portland (where every other framebuilder in the US is located) is a bit over an hour away. It is an easy drive on the Interstate along the river. I can’t remember much of anything at all being east of The Dalles. Of course someone from that area can provide a much clearer picture of what The Dalles is really like.

Doug Fattic
    Niles, Michigan (a fruit growing area similar to Hood River and nothing like The Dalles)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hood River is west of the crest of the Cascades, The Dalles is east. You essentially get western Washington vs eastern/central Washington weather patterns because of that (yes, it's only 17 miles, but it makes a HUGE difference). And being the only sea-level passage through the Cascades, you get the fast-changing weather on the west side, and big ice storms that blow through in winter (cold air from the east side spills under the wet coming in from the west making for bad temperature inversions).
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the dalles is one of my favorite places to ride. small town, but a couple of nice spots for food/coffee/beer. lots and lots of dirt roads heading south, lots of trails, lots of great roads. windy right by the river, but fine elsewhere. much sunnier than pdx. and not too far from pdx, either. there are a lot of banging overnight routes that you can put together to ride from pdx to the dalles and vice versa.

dylan varekamp
    having west coast pangs out in nyc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't there a google server farm across the river? I love that town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My name is Houston Joost. I'll never post here again. Sorry.....