Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headphone Pleather

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Headphone Pleather

I have a couple of pair of headphones where the simulated leather on the head band and ear cups is disintegrating. I've found ear covers online but can't seem to find a solution for the head band. Is there anything that can be done ( short of wrapping it in tape which would look awful) to replace that material?

I'm tired of having black specs of the material all over my head after listening. One pair is a Bose noise canceling unit about 8 years old and the other Sony monitors about 6 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Headphone Pleather

Search earpad replacement @ amazon.

For specific recos, check headfi.org

Amazon.com: earpad replacement: Electronics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or eBay. Wide range of quality. I think the Bose headphones have the head pad put on before the ear units are connected so the replacement pad is a Velcro wrap. So that's actually something you could make at home with some neoprene and a strip of Velcro. Or similar.

I keep my wife's treasured Quiet Comfort headphones in shape (makes a big difference managing airplane noise.) Matching your model up with the ear pads is key. Bose changes the shape periodically, sometimes within the same model, and then the replacements are sort of a general fit anyway, so adhesive required sometimes.

Bose used to sell parts direct, but I can't find the site any longer. Their parts were absurdly expensive though, and a slight misfit with cheaper parts was worth the difference. If I was designing the ear pads, they'd have a donut of Velcro on the back so you could rip them out and replace them without perfect fit being a real issue.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it the oils from skin/hair that contribute? Maybe cleaning with alcohol or soapy water periodically would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daverino View Post
    Is it the oils from skin/hair that contribute? Maybe cleaning with alcohol or soapy water periodically would help.
    I don't think that's the case. I think it's mediocre quality material that just wears out over time. I have headphones by other manufacturers at my job, made with similar material. They are disintegrating too. But we just toss those puppies out every few years when people get sick of seeing all the pleather dandruff on their heads and clothes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone, somewhere, must make velour pads for all the popular headphones. It's the first thing I do when getting a new pair of AKG 'phones. My beyers were modded and came with a real leather headband, and velour ear pads. The community is large, you might find answers at headfi.org. But maybe not for Bose stuff, which isn't held in high esteem by enthusiasts (but in truth is perfectly fine stuff).

But yeah, the pleather stuff sucks.